Koh Samet ready to welcome domestic tourists again after closing for nearly one month due to Covid-19

webfact

KS.jpg

PHOTO: Thairath

By Nop Meechukhun

Rayong – Rayong authorities are planning to reopen Koh Samet and welcome domestic tourists after the island was reported as having zero new cases of Covid-19 Coronavirus.

The authorities had ordered the temporary closure of the island on April 27th as a number of five local infections were found. A big cleaning in infected areas and a proactive approach were seriously conducted over the past weeks until no cases were found on the island. Koh Samet is now ready to welcome tourists to travel under a new normal measure.

Sirinthip Tappamongkolsup, president of the Koh Samet tourism association, told the associated press today, May 19th, that the reopening should strictly comply with the Public Health Ministry health measures, including one-way entrance and exit, body temperature checking, check-in via ‘Thai Chana’ application, wearing facial masks, and keep social distancing.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/19/koh-samet-ready-to-welcome-domestic-tourists-again-after-closing-for-nearly-one-month-due-to-covid-19/

PattayaNews.jpg

That's great news.

But... what this "month" of closure has achieved... Exactly ? If we put on the side the economic disaster, and the stress on local population, even the despair ?

If tomorrow 1 tourist from Bangkok arrives, and infects a guy living in Koh Samui... What they will do ?

Close again for one month ?

It's totally absurd.

And make no mistake... it will happen ! Koh Samet will have news cases.

And yes, even with 50 % or 100 % vaccinated (look at Bahrain and other countries).

Edited by cclub75

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Sirinthip Tappamongkolsup, president of the Koh Samet tourism association, told the associated press today, May 19th, that the reopening should strictly comply with the Public Health Ministry health measures, including one-way entrance and exit, body temperature checking, check-in via ‘Thai Chana’ application, wearing facial masks, and keep social distancing.

Welcome all from Bangkok... wash-rinse-spin-repeat.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't work out Koh Samet currently.

So I came last year April 1 and stayed 7 months. 

This year returned again April 1. Will remain here till much later in the year. Hardly saw anyone other than few Thais.

So my question.....This weekend on Koh Samet there are farang family everywhere. Many with kids and some younger couples. What's going on.

Yes I know it was holiday last Thurs. 

Bemused.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

This year returned again April 1. Will remain here till much later in the year. Hardly saw anyone other than few Thais.

So my question.....This weekend on Koh Samet there are farang family everywhere. Many with kids and some younger couples. What's going on.

Bemused.

Thats exactly it.... 

Thursday was a national holiday....  additionally some of the schools cancelled online learning on Friday to have their teacher vaccinated effectively making the it a 4 day weekend. 

Many families who have been ‘hiding away’ have clearly decided to take the opportunity to head out of Bangkok for a break - Samet, Hua Hin and more recently resorts in Jomtien are the preferred option for a quick weekend getaway. 

My Wife, Son and I very nearly decided to make use of the long weekend and get away somewhere - I guess lot of people had the same idea. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Bemused.

What is bemusing? People are going there because  it is open for drinks, fun, music. restaurants  etc

59 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Bemused.

Central Bangkok........seen the same old faces for months now, then suddenly dozens of farang couples and families with young children everywhere?????? Very odd.

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Central Bangkok........seen the same old faces for months now, then suddenly dozens of farang couples and families with young children everywhere?????? Very odd.

Ditto here. My point was that having been Samet most of last year and since April 1, have never seen groups like this. Many Kids. The cleaner tells me mainly Russian but who knows. Doubt come from Rayong.

The FBI agent (my gf) tells me could be from Pattaya. When I ask why. She tells me that I'm stupid and all Russian folk live Pattaya and at Samet can swim etc.

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ditto here. My point was that having been Samet most of last year and since April 1, have never seen groups like this. Many Kids. The cleaner tells me mainly Russian but who knows. Doubt come from Rayong.

The FBI agent (my gf) tells me could be from Pattaya. When I ask why. She tells me that I'm stupid and all Russian folk live Pattaya and at Samet can swim etc.

My FBI agent says they are all Western European and have paid the guards in the 5 or 6 quarantine hotels around us to be allowed out for a few hours.......I never argue....just nod and smile.