‘On-site’ COVID-19 inoculation program replaces ‘walk-in’

snoop1130

My Mrs says her nephew, only 18 or 19,  has obtained a vaccination, and his mother has had 2 already. This is in Tak province, but in a rural clinic near the City. Sounds like things vary a lot around the country. 

My Mrs has been ringing around with no luck in the Pattaya area.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

My Mrs says her nephew, only 18 or 19,  has obtained a vaccination, and his mother has had 2 already. This is in Tak province, but in a rural clinic near the City. Sounds like things vary a lot around the country. 

Yes, it would appear that each province has decided how to administer the vaccine with no established priorities. Sad but true. I'm still not sure where foreigners fit into this chaotic roll-out at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Sounds like some well connected executive advertising company has just been paid millions for rebranding "walk in" with "on site" for exactly  the same thing

It doesn't explain what "on site" means, so yes, you may well be right. Possibly. Or possibly not. Until tomorrow.

And as we know, tomorrow never comes.

Edited by samtam

15 minutes ago, samtam said:

It doesn't explain what "on site" means, so yes, you may well be right. Possibly. Or possibly not. Until tomorrow.

And as we know, tomorrow never comes.

What it means is you can "walk in" and get vaccinated "on site"

SO he scrapped the walk in, that he must have known about, as worried a lot of people might turn up. How many does he think NEED to turn up a day if he is going to get 70% of Bkk vaccinated by the end of Sept, must be over 80k a day over four months, is anywhere taking bets on it being done?

So according to the article 7.4 million older and afflicted persons have registered for vaccination. AFAIK it's intended that these two categories be given the Astra Zeneca vaccine. So how many doses of AZ does the government have to hand and how many will be delivered within the next couple of months? Is the local AZ production facility in production yet? Anyone seen any info? Has any journo asked the obvious questions*?

*the cynic in me thinks: probably yes to that last question, but told to shut up or not be invited to briefings again????

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He won't get 70% if they have to register first.

Walk-in, and wait, like many other countries is working just fine...

They have 103 more days to hit 70% of the population - which we can probably define as about 49million eligible people (less the 1.8million doses given already), which is 458,000 per day, everyday until September, assuming just 1-shot.  The gap between Sinovac is 4-weeks and AZ is 12-weeks, so there is some double vaccinating to be done along the way.

According to the Thailand COVID statistics site, they have averaged 66,000 vaccinations per day for the last week. At that rate it will take 212 more days to vaccinate 10% of the population (2 shots).

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/thailand/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, DLock said:

He won't get 70% if they have to register first.

Walk-in, and wait, like many other countries is working just fine...

They have 103 more days to hit 70% of the population - which we can probably define as about 49million eligible people (less the 1.8million doses given already), which is 458,000 per day, everyday until September, assuming just 1-shot.  The gap between Sinovac is 4-weeks and AZ is 12-weeks, so there is some double vaccinating to be done along the way.

According to the Thailand COVID statistics site, they have averaged 66,000 vaccinations per day for the last week. At that rate it will take 212 more days to vaccinate 10% of the population (2 shots).

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/thailand/

The rates always start out lower and ramp up.  Same thing as every other country.  China is now vaccinating something like 10 million people a day.  India is using up all their vaccine and they are making over 2 million a day.  Thailand has lots of people qualified to give shots so they can do it if they try hard enough.  I doubt they will get enough vaccine in that amount of time but other than that it's not some impossible moonshot goal like some here seem to think.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sounds like some well connected executive advertising company has just been paid millions for rebranding "walk in" with "on site" for exactly  the same thing

Triggered by a wish to make face by our illustrious leader perhaps?

Usually, 'misunderstanding' is used to either avoid losing face, or a way alter something to make more money for someone.

• Like 2

Just now, shdmn said:

That rates can easily ramp up.  It just takes time.  Same thing as lots of other countries.  China is not vaccinating something like 10 million people a day.  Not a typo.  10 million every day.

No doubt that number will ramp up. That's axiomatic.

But every day they don't do 458,000, the number grows every other day.

Australias current 7-day average pr day is 46,000 per day, but they are ramping up.

Uk's highest ever 7-day average was 506,000 per day, the last month average is around 100,000 per day.

To consider that Thailand can come anywhere near the exceptional UK rollout would be sheer folly...

If they could do half of their projections, I would be very surprised.

The U.S. peaked at 3.3 million for a 7 day average.  The average over the past 150 days is about 1.8 million per day.  At present it's about 1.5 million.  April Fools day they gave 4.2 million shots. ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w94005m said:

I expect our Embassies will sort out this disparity (????in how Thai citizens have been treated outside of Thailand, where they have had equal priority and those at risk of dying have been first in the queue.

I wouldn't bank on that!

Might "rock the boat a little" old chap!

2 hours ago, w94005m said:

Basically as we know, all of us who would be the first priority in any other country in the western world, "non-working, older or with health conditions" , are at the bottom of the pile here.

So where are these foreign tourists "first priority"? In any case, this is emphatically not the western world.

Walk-in vs on-site: wonder how these terms stack up in Thai (my Thai isn't up to it) because the news isn't - despite what some posters think - published solely for western eyes.

• Thanks 1

But no details/explanation of what 'on-site' means. 

Gets more complicated and confusing every day, so sad.

My Thai son and his Thai wife have tried to register on the various platforms and at several health centres in CM. Every place they go to there's a different answer. 

Their next door neighbor (Dr. of communicable diseases) is the director of  communicable diseases centre for Nth Thailand. He says he's totally confused also, his office gets at least 2 (or more) new directives, from multiple agencies (some are health agencies, some aren't (TAT) every day, he's spending hours every day trying to get a clear direction. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I live nakhon pathom... no mention of any information regarding any foreigners.... very poor 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I live nakhon pathom... no mention of any information regarding any foreigners.... very poor 

Ratchaburi doctor told me 4th Quarter.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The walk-in program was rejected by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha out of concern that this option may cause problems at the vaccination sites, as people may rush to get vaccinated, resulting in congestion and a high risk of disease transmission.

Well, uhm, yeah, that and he doesn't have enough vaccine.

• Like 1

The mass-vaccine project is something that needs proper organisation with clear structure, instructions and reporting. The UK NHS registrations system is perfect for this but a similar system doesn't exist in Thailand.

The only organisation you can see here, where the rules seem to change daily, is organised chaos.

I am now registered with my local hospital in Bang Saphan Noi. I will get the vaccine between June 7th and 11th but after the Thais have had theirs first. It is going to happen and just wait for the phone call to attend.

14 hours ago, shdmn said:

The rates always start out lower and ramp up.  Same thing as every other country.  China is now vaccinating something like 10 million people a day.  India is using up all their vaccine and they are making over 2 million a day.  Thailand has lots of people qualified to give shots so they can do it if they try hard enough.  I doubt they will get enough vaccine in that amount of time but other than that it's not some impossible moonshot goal like some here seem to think.

If you look at what they have been doing the last couple of months and in wich tempo they are ordering and manufactering vaccines , the things that some here think about the impossible moonshot might be true .