Roast Potatoes

Lickey

Hi All, recently got a gas oven and tried to roast tates, the chicken drumsticks and wings ect were perfect, but the tates although roasted had no colour and the inards were non-exsistant, Im conversant with electric fan ovens but this is first time with a gas oven, Help Please!!

PS, i didnt par-boil tates or "oil" them, is this where im going wrong?

Thanks, Lickey.

yes. par-boil for no more than ten minutes - the trick is to drain the water and give them a good shake first, to get the outsides "fluffy" a little - this will roast quicker. i think i also add a bit of butter before the shake. Basting and moving around the baking pan is also desireble.

PS I am in no way responsible for any kitchen disasters based on the above advice.

PPS: Google "deilia smith roast potato" - i think that's where i get the method from.

Hi All, recently got a gas oven and tried to roast tates, the chicken drumsticks and wings ect were perfect, but the tates although roasted had no colour and the inards were non-exsistant, Im conversant with electric fan ovens but this is first time with a gas oven, Help Please!!

Thanks, Lickey.

I have always used a gas oven and my roast spuds are perfect...how??...

Par boil them for about 10 mins....drain well let cool slightly. Prick the surface all over with a fork,this roughens up the surface,ready to absorbe the oil or fat. I use Virgin Olive Oil myself. Sprinkle salt and rosemary(dried ) over them. Put in hot oven arround 230-250 0C on the top shelf...turn every 20 mins and after 50-60 mins...crispy brown roast potatoes.

ENJOY!!!

Thanks, Lickey.

I have always used a gas oven and my roast spuds are perfect...how??...

Par boil them for about 10 mins....drain well let cool slightly. Prick the surface all over with a fork,this roughens up the surface,ready to absorbe the oil or fat. I use Virgin Olive Oil myself. Sprinkle salt and rosemary(dried ) over them. Put in hot oven arround 230-250 0C on the top shelf...turn every 20 mins and after 50-60 mins...crispy brown roast potatoes.

ENJOY!!!

would also reccomend cutting the par boiled spuds into 1 inch cubes and doing the same. Makes a nice meal with cold meats and pickle...makes a change from chips.

How I do them:

pell potatoes

cut in big chunks

preboil for about 10 minutes in salted water

take them out and cool down(not you, the potatoes)

prepare a deep pan with beef fat in a very hot oven, don't be tight with that beef fat

throw in your potatoes

turn them around after 15 mts

another 15 mts finished

crackling&crispy outside, mashy inside.........yummy yummy

Gerd

Cut in about 1 inch chunks, rinse till water runs clear, I do this ahead and let them sit in ice water, pre heat oven to very high, perhaps around 240°C. Dry the potatoes for a couple minutes in a towel and toss with salt and pepper. Take a heavy cast iron pan and pre heat clarified butter and toss potatoes around in it to coat them, pop in the oven about 20 minutes beautifully browned and so easy. The trick is clarified butter, regular butter will burn at higher temp.

How I do them:

pell potatoes

cut in big chunks

preboil for about 10 minutes in salted water

take them out and cool down(not you, the potatoes)

prepare a deep pan with beef fat in a very hot oven, don't be tight with that beef fat

throw in your potatoes

turn them around after 15 mts

another 15 mts finished

crackling&crispy outside, mashy inside.........yummy yummy

Gerd

Please come to my house for dinner with those potatoes and one of your roasts with gravy, cauliflower and cream sauce. I have fresh crusty rolls and butter. :o

Hi all, thanks to your combined advice, had a good sunday roast tonight,

Par-boiled spuds, 10mins, drained and then poked them with fork, rough them up a little, added some salt and pepper,little EV olive oil, coated them all over, Then moved the foil-wrapped chicken breasts to back of tray-grille, put spuds in the front and watched them through glass door, Approx 20 later, they had turned a lovely light brown, I decided to try one, WOW, perfect, the chicken breasts were also perfect, white throughout and not dry, just perfect!! ate this with a green salad with red cabbage chopped, and grated carrots, perfect meal!! Got to perfect yorkshires now,

• 4 weeks later...