A solar system that just works

I have a friend in central Thailand who would like to go solar (partly because it might cost as much as 800,000THB to get good grid power to his property), but he is not a technical person, and he is running a children's home with plenty of other responsibilities. So, it seems that he either needs to fork out the money for the high-voltage line (1km from existing line) and transfomer, or else go with the solar plan.

I purchased two cheap (Suoer) 5Kva-48v inverters on Shopee, and I've had frequent problems. Tried to get warranty repair, and the seller didn't do much about it for weeks. And the mfr. hasn't replied to any inquiries directed to their sales email / contact page for over a month as well. So, I'm NOT IMPRESSED and am a bit fearful I would end up recommending a system that will be nothing but headaches for my friend. (Perhaps I can use the equipment I purchased, if it ever works reliably, for an off-grid location I plan to move to soon.) Yesterday I talked to two installers in Chiang Mai... Both offered their sympathies and told me that I'll need to pay quite a bit more for equipment that will have good reliability and warranty service.

So, two questions for those of you in Thailand who have been using solar equipment for a while:

Question 1: Are there any brands that really stand out in your experience as seeming to be good quality, and that have good warranty service in this country?

Question 2: Do you know of anyone in central Thailand (not more than 2 or 3 hours from Sukhothai) that will install and provide warranty service for a solar system?

Question 3: Can you recommend any electrical contractor in that same region who might be able to give me a quote on installing the high-voltage power polls, line, and transformer? (In case my friend opts for this route instead of going solar.)

49 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@Bandersnatch has a big off-grid hybrid system (he has grid backup, but you could use a genset).

Hopefully he will be along shortly and can give you details of what he's using.

I would recommend contacting Christian Grimshei at Chaweewan Group solar https://www.facebook.com/groups/300126774329850/about

Christian is a Norwegian and can speak pretty good English.

My system is a couple of years old now: 32 x 350 watt panels = 11.2kW with 10kW Hybrid Inverter and 16 Deep Cycle Gel Batteries 12V 200AH  = 38.4kWH 

I can run the house completely off-grid for 9 months of the year, with a few kWh used per month from the grid in the rainy season

More details can be seen on my blog https://EcoHouseThailand.com

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SunshineHarvey7 said:

Both offered their sympathies and told me that I'll need to pay quite a bit more for equipment that will have good reliability and warranty service.

Yes, I'm afraid they are right. All the solar contributors on this forum are, in varying degrees, quite capable of DIY-ing their own systems so it follows that when things wrong they are in a position to buy a new component/unit and effect a reasonable repair. If you don't have the necessary expertise then you are at the mercy of the professionals same as all trades I suppose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

I would recommend contacting Christian Grimshei at Chaweewan Group solar https://www.facebook.com/groups/300126774329850/about

Christian is a Norwegian and can speak pretty good English.

Thanks, I’ll try to contact Christian. 

Any other recommendations are welcome. 

2 hours ago, SunshineHarvey7 said:

Question 1: Are there any brands that really stand out in your experience as seeming to be good quality, and that have good warranty service in this country?

My Suoer GTI's have worked perfectly since day 1.

One has been going for 2 years (needed unplugging and reconnecting once)

The other has been working a year.

3 minutes ago, SunshineHarvey7 said:

Thanks, I’ll try to contact Christian. 

Any other recommendations are welcome. 

I know Christain will travel, which is a requirement. I would not recommend my installer even if he would travel! I do know a guy in here in Surin who has done some good work for me, but he doesn't work out of province.   

45 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My Suoer GTI's have worked perfectly since day 1.

One has been going for 2 years (needed unplugging and reconnecting once)

The other has been working a year.

That’s great... I’m happy for you. Maybe the GTI’s are better quality, or whatever. Perhaps this hybrid is especially prone to this problem. (Maybe even in the AC charging circuitry???)

I’m thankful I think I’ve finally found a consistency among all the times I’ve had the error: I used the inverter long enough to get it heated up. Then for some reason (to change a connection, etc) I shut its switch off. When I powered on again, it often failed to fully power up and showed the 09 error. When the machine cools off (esp on a colder morning), then it starts up fine most of the time. Seems like that error doesn’t trip once the machine is running. ????

53 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I know Christain will travel, which is a requirement. I would not recommend my installer even if he would travel! I do know a guy in here in Surin who has done some good work for me, but he doesn't work out of province.   

Okay. Thanks!