shouting when talking

jwest10

1 minute ago, moogradod said:

Thais seem to be more immune to noise generated by others. Have you ever noticed how many sit near a crowd (waiting at the DLT for example) and look and listen to their favorite soap opera / YouTube clip etc. at full volume over the phone speaker ? And I never saw anybody have any reaction. My wife does not take notice, either unless I mention it.

Our pool is like a spa....no kids...no food/drink.....basically you swim or relax.......until the idiots arrive........Thai girl last week pitches up.......puts her phone in speaker......music on full volume....then goes for a swim..........wife had to stop me throwing the phone in the pool.

• Like 1

When you do not understand the language it almost feels like someone is shouting. I had the same feeling when I was for the first time in Spain / Germany ...etc

Edited by anon7854

7 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Our pool is like a spa....no kids...no food/drink.....basically you swim or relax.......until the idiots arrive........Thai girl last week pitches up.......puts her phone in speaker......music on full volume....then goes for a swim..........wife had to stop me throwing the phone in the pool.

Totally agree. But just as you mention the serenity of the pool - which I enjoy as well - just wait for the kids to arrive. No speaker needed. They may shriek at levels in terms of both pitch and volume that seem unreal. Time to leave then.

Edited by moogradod
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, anon7854 said:

When you do not understand the language it almost feels like someone is shouting. I had the same feeling when I was for the first time in Spain / Germany ...etc

Thai and Chinese are tonal languages - but this refers to the pronounciation - not the volume. No need to converse with 110dB on a table of 4 as I have witnessed with some Chinese guys. But maybe they have been shouting at each other since childhood that they are now half deaf and need this volume to feel just comfortable now.

Edited by moogradod

9 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Totally agree. But just as you mention the serenity of the pool - which I enjoy as well - just wait for the kids to arrive. No speaker needed. They may shriek at levels in terms of both pitch and volume that seem unreal. Time to leave then.

We are lucky.....mainly single bedrooms......so mainly singles and couples.........long may it last.

On 5/21/2021 at 3:33 PM, Surelynot said:

Certain nationallties are prone to think that the world needs to hear what they are saying.......bars, restaurants, airport lounges........my wife and I chat all the time and I defy anyone to hear what we are talking about.......but other people....most it seems to me, just have to shout. 

Now who could ya'll be  talking about there

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

New York woman often speak very loudly.

I once boarded an aircraft in Chiang Mai for Bkk.

I sat in the 3 seat side section on the aisle seat. A New York woman (she told the nearby passenger very loudly) sat in the same 3 seat section at the window. She engaged her friend in the second seat of the 4 seat section (same row) in detailed very loud conversation of her CM adventures/likes/dislikes all the time from sitting down, during takeoff, flight and landing and deplaning.  

Several polite requests by other passengers to wait until arrival to continue their conversation (including 2 trolley dolleys asking them) were totally ignored.

Not a pleasant experience.

My sincere condolences. Sometimes New Yorkers are cool. sometimes a sip is enough. 555

Many years ago when I flew Korean to BKK the Koreans would shout to friends rows back. The airline was using metal flatware at the time. It disappeared. But hey, it was cheap and I got a free flight every 5th time.

On 5/21/2021 at 6:15 PM, ikke1959 said:

even in the morning on the news channels the people can't talk normally. It seems they are all so excited and get paid by the words they shout. Compared to western news readers.. It is very irritable. It think it is because they grow up with all the noise in schools, and parties and everywhere you go restaurants, shopping malls, tesco, Big C... All loud music.. I think a lot of people are deaf 

Ikke and other Pardon can not hear you!!!

On 5/21/2021 at 3:34 PM, Thailand said:

I think my wife shouts when she talks but not sure as I don't listen. Simply smile and nod occasionally.

I  just  put a  pillow  over her head, works  well, hear muffled  groans that's  about it. I  agree  however the world  has too many damn rude  shouters, On the phone some of  them really  should  just put the phone  down as whoever theyr'e  calling wherever they are they really don't  need  the phone, they can be heard for KM's.

On 5/22/2021 at 12:59 PM, RichardColeman said:

What annoys me more is people walking down the road shouting into their phone in their hand, 2ft from their face, rather than put the phone to their ear and mouth

And when they  are  holding a  selfie  stick I want to ram it down their throat............sideways, especially if they are doing that narcissistic posing cheesy smile nonsense.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

And when they  are  holding a  selfie  stick I want to ram it down their throat............sideways, especially if they are doing that narcissistic posing cheesy smile nonsense.

Have you ever taken the time to notice these are usually single women, empowered and out on their own; documenting/celebrating their time/place & the enjoyment of their own trip....?

How can you begrudge a person that?

It's safe, non intrusive, & they don't have to risk asking possibly unpleasant, cantankerous, toxic people to take their picture....

52 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Have you ever taken the time to notice these are usually single women, empowered and out on their own; documenting/celebrating their time/place & the enjoyment of their own trip....?

How can you begrudge a person that?

It's safe, non intrusive, & they don't have to risk asking possibly unpleasant, cantankerous, toxic people to take their picture....

I've taken the time to notice they are all narcissists.

• Like 1

On the flip side I love it when I’m in a bank or government office and a western expat is struggling to be understood, it seems that they believe that saying it exactly the same way but louder has more chance of being understood. 
I must admit I have been guilty of it at times. Still hilarious to see others do it too 

Edited by MadMuhammad

My wife is generally quiet, but there are times when she seems to think a phone is just something to hold onto while you hold a shouting conversation with someone on the other side of town.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 7:24 AM, clivebaxter said:

Thais are amatures at shouting, it's the Chinese who are world champions  

Came here for this....ive met a few thais will give them a run for their money--take a bus to mai sai for a visa run and you are sure to meet one on the phone when the bus arrives when they are calling for a pick up

Hi  All

Thanks for all the responses and yes amusing the ones just nod you head and laugh  and very easier said than done  and we all try to block or ignore.
You have to laugh otherwise the alternative would leave such a mess.
Would like to share this  and just as typing this my wife's mobile went off and recognized one of her friends voice and tbf on it was a quite low speaker.
Anyway cut to the chase shouted down the room is that the person with a booming voice who came in earlier this morning shouting out my wife's name but stating not here in the back and she had her crash helmet on (crikey she does wear one) and stated not here and she also continued to the back and kept on shouting my wife's name and then started to go upstairs and state no no no but eventually spoke to her but when came out still had her mask and helmet on and decided to use her mobile and very infuriating indeed and it is always when one is listening to something on the computer.
I can sort of laugh about it now and my wife translated for me and raised a laugh but sometimes one has to say what is on your minds. LOL dangerous but made my point!!
There are a few  of them and when they start it is like ww5 setting off.
nothing should surprise us these days and this jab business what a total  shambles.

Yes, we have to laugh and yes indeed at ourselves as well as they don't take any notice lol

Edited by jwest10
spelling