Sattahip to Songkhla car ferry completes test run, service set to begin imminently

webfact

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Manager reported that the much hyped car and passenger ferry from Sattahip on the eastern seaboard to Songkhla in the far south had been fully tested.

They said last week that it was set to begin operation from Friday. 

The Blue Dolphin will be run by Seahorse Ferries. It was reported earlier that the first stage will be the long haul route - 18-20 hours - all the way south but that a stop in Prachuap Khiri Khan will be added later. 

The boat will be able to carry 586 passengers, 20 cars and 60-80 trucks. 

Its top speed will be 17 knots that equates to about 31 kmph, Thai Rath reported back in March. 

Then reports suggested the service could start as early as April with transport minister Saksayam Chidchob citing delays caused by the need for road infrastructure at ports to limit traffic snarls. 

The service's website indicates only Sattahip to Songkhla from 2 pm to 10 am each way. 

Their website includes a "How to Booking" (sic) section and under "News and Promotion" no further information except terms and conditions. 

On another page it suggests you can book for a ferry today, Monday 24th May. An attempt by a reporter to navigate this failed

If and when the service actually begins we will let you know. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-24

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Sure. You can drive all the way there, a mere 1,124 kms, faster than taking the ferry. Google estimates it at a few minutes under 15 hours.

Assuming of course you drive non-stop, average at least the speed limit the whole way and don't stop for gas, food or rest. Or encounter any problems with the roads (construction/accidents) or weather.

Just to turn around and drive all the way back.

Or spend probably the same amount of time (or less even) relaxing, sleeping/eating on the ferry and arriving at the destination rested and relaxed.

Meanwhile, the idea behind this wasn't to make it easier for Mr & Mrs Somchai to drive back and forth to/from Songkla. It's mainly meant as a short-cut for transport trucks heading to/from the Eastern Economic Corridor.
It will be a convenience for others (passengers and tourists) but they aren't the main reason for this venture.

Unfortunately I'll have to wait till later in the year for when I've had my preferred vaccine, let the service bed itself in and iron out any wrinkles, I understand that it may possibly be directed at more commercial traffic but if I can avoid that hellish drive from Pattaya through BKK I will. ????

some great rooms and it would be worth doing once and drive back
TO bad NO PRICES  on the site and the booking engine for the month of june shows

NO RECORDS FOUND

Edited by zzzzz

2 hours ago, peterrabbit said:

What great timing!

Just when the South African strain of the virus has been discovered in the Southern Provinces, they want to create a direct transmission route, by use of a ferry, to the Eastern Seaboard and ultimately Bangkok.

A masterful piece of thinking - not. ????

Hardly any worse than stuffing all the seafood supply industry with undocumented Burmese

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 8:55 PM, Ireland32 said:

wear and tear mileage , you can fly and meet 

No planes from khon Khan and planes are delayed. What other flights. Rather drive but how the hell would want do go to hat yai 

Edited by arick
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 3:24 PM, peterrabbit said:

What great timing!

Just when the South African strain of the virus has been discovered in the Southern Provinces, they want to create a direct transmission route, by use of a ferry, to the Eastern Seaboard and ultimately Bangkok.

Some people just love to complain.. Yawnnnn ????????????????

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, arick said:

No planes from khon Khan and planes are delayed. What other flights. Rather drive but how the hell would want do go to hat yai 

Me ! At least once.

Well, south of Hat Yai actually.
I've been to every province North and East of Petchaburi. That's why I've been watching this ferry closely. Rather than ride from Pattaya to Bangkok and then riding down the west side of the country to Hat Yai, just to turn around and ride back again, this ferry would let me get most of those Southern provinces in one fell swoop. Then ride up to Phuket and then back up the Gulf coast to tag the last couple of provinces.

Might even be a nice way to visit Phuket once in awhile. It's 1,000 km, 13+ hour trip by road. The ferry would definitely be a longer trip as you'd still have a 470km trip from Songkla to Phuket but you'd be well rested when you arrive in Songkla and wouldn't have to contend with the annoyance of going around Bangkok (on a motorcycle).

Again, a lot depends on what the fares will be and the cost of the different accommodation options. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 3:24 PM, peterrabbit said:

What great timing!

Shouldn't think the service will last long before it is withdrawn, well if it starts that is. Currently the record for operating, or not, ferry services across the gulf is rather poor. 

• Like 1