Phetchabun: The Switzerland of Thailand

snoop1130

Any recommendations for a place to stay, (or camp). When driving to and from the north, we usually overnight in Phrae, then take lunch or coffee in Khao Kho, never spent the night.

Yes, realize this cannot be done at present. Thinking of Better Times to come.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've been there, it was hot as hell, some nice waterfalls to swim in.

Our family farm is near LomSak, the roads aren't very good.

Photo0566.jpg

Photo0546.jpg

You have to go up to Khao Kho the area described in the report. Lomsak is down on the plains where indeed it gets very hot. I remember when we stayed at my wife's chalet just outside Ban Thung Samo and did a daytrip down to Phitsanulok where it was a sweltering 37 degrees C and coming back up to Khao Kho it was just below 30.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

They forgot to mention that the resorts had been ordered to close for most of this month. We live amongst them and it has been pleasantly quite without the tour buses, karaoke and bikes.

Some are open ,I know people who overnighted there last weekend ,from another province.

15 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Some are open ,I know people who overnighted there last weekend ,from another province.

I know, even had a tour bus go past yesterday, but thankfully no karaoke.

The thing that I find strange here, even in normal high season, most of the bookings are overnight. So they drive 4-5 hours from Bangkok for one night.

4 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Any recommendations for a place to stay, (or camp). When driving to and from the north, we usually overnight in Phrae, then take lunch or coffee in Khao Kho, never spent the night.

Yes, realize this cannot be done at present. Thinking of Better Times to come.

Thanks.

I have only stayed at cheap places, and that was 3 years ago, so cannot really recommend anything. There are over 600 registered resorts but the total number is probably over 1000. Depends on your price and what you want, and where you want as Khao Kho is spread out over 40 kilometres. There are places on Highway 12 around Campson (Khaem Son on Google) or look at highway 2196 that runs from 12 up to the Khao Kho village.

12 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Switzerland

image.jpeg.34550571688f460688caed7921691ea0.jpeg

No resemblance but you would not walk up some of the mountains here. From bottom to top many are similar in height except they are covered in trees.

The resemblance is in the Swiss style chalets and residential developments (run by Thais).

Edited by GreasyFingers

12 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

There are over 600 registered resorts but the total number is probably over 1000.

There are so many I am overwhelmed and have no idea which one to try. Unfortunately just talk as we are stuck in province at present. 

Switzerland?   well........................hmmmmmmmmmm...... really?

Phetchabun is good for three days.......sure.   It's the Thailand of Thailand.  

Now Chiang Mai is the Paris of Thailand....

Bangkok is the Mexico City of Portugal...

and Phuket is the Hong Kong of Nigeria....

equally confusing

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I know, even had a tour bus go past yesterday, but thankfully no karaoke.

The thing that I find strange here, even in normal high season, most of the bookings are overnight. So they drive 4-5 hours from Bangkok for one night.

Not curious at all, once they've got the selfies, and posted on FB, no reason to stay longer.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2021 at 2:35 AM, BritManToo said:

Entry fee to foreigners 200bht or 400bht?

Entry fee to Thais 20bht.

No thanks.

just leave Thailand so   ,

they  wouldn't miss you