From Retirement To Non-B or Non-Ed

It is not possible to change non immigrant visa categories in the country

It might be possible to change the reason for his extension from retirement to one based upon working if he found a job. But the problem that people often have is getting a work permit application accepted while on a retirement extension.

He could change his extension from retirement to one for attending school if attending a university. Attending a language school would be more difficult since the rules state a new non-ed visa issued by embassy is needed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not possible to change non immigrant visa categories in the country

It might be possible to change the reason for his extension from retirement to one based upon working if he found a job. But the problem that people often have is getting a work permit application accepted while on a retirement extension.

He could change his extension from retirement to one for attending school if attending a university. Attending a language school would be more difficult since the rules state a new non-ed visa issued by embassy is needed.

Thanks always, UJ!

For the non-Ed, quite straightforward ...

And, you mentioned "often" for the wp issue re retirement. Had there been successful stories in the contrary where retirement-visa/extension wp application was approved for the reason of changing to non-B?

What about the in-Thailand of changing retirement visa to work visa initially, very much like when you have TR with the ample 15-or-21 days left thingy?

Edited by debbiedebbie
simple

You cannot change from a non-o visa to a non-b or a non-ed visa while in the country. Only the reason for a extension of stay can be changed.

I don't recall any reports of success of getting a work permit application done when on a extension based upon retirement. There may of been some but the employer would have to push the local work permit office to accept it.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot change from a non-o visa to a non-b or a non-ed visa while in the country. Only the reason for a extension of stay can be changed.

I don't recall any reports of success of getting a work permit application done. There may of been some but the employer would have to push the local work permit office to accept it.

UJ, that's a good point as you are talking about extension and the TR is a visa. Do you think that this is an interesting query if the concerned immigration counter would be asked, given that it's still kinda difficult to go out of and come back to Thailand?

I'm also thinking now about the possibility of in-Thailand TR visa if one would cancel or not extend a retirement. Am I making sense here?

Edited by debbiedebbie
simple

A entry from a tourist visa, transit visa or a visa exempt entry can be changed to a non immigrant visa.

It is not possible to change to a tourist visa while in the country.

Some schools and agents can arrange a change of the reason for an extension based upon retirement to one for attending a language school. I is easier if attending a University or some type of formal school. Language schools are in the informal school category.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It might be possible to change the reason for his extension from retirement to one based upon working if he found a job.

When I tried to do this 5 years ago I was left in no doubt by both Immigration (Phitsanulok) and Work Permit Office (Phetchabun) that it was not possible, "Retirement" stamp in passport rules out conversion.

Both stated that to work you had to have a Non-B, unless you were on a married extension of stay.