Flying to US with Thai wife for Vaccine

This morning I woke up to the news that the Thai government is going to wait 16 weeks between AstraZeneca shots, and that was enough for me to say to my wife, "Enough is enough.  Let's book a flight".  

Our plan is to fly to the US and get a Johnson & Johnson vaccine in NYC and then do a bit of traveling.  My wife has a valid US visa.

What I'd like to know is what are the required and recommended logistical steps for coming and going.

What I think I know:

1. We need to get a COVID test 3 days before we depart
  2. International tourists can now get COVID vaccines in NYC
  3. I need to have COVID insurance to get a COE to return
  4. We'll need to do 14 days quarantine upon return
  5. We'll need to provide our marriage certificate to do the ASQ in the same room

What I don't know:

1. Will my insurance from CIGNA suffice for the COE?  Upon request they emailed me a PDF regarding my coverage, but it doesn't specifically say anything about COVID.  And in the email they took the time to write that the letter will not be amended because the "Coronavirus pandemic is temporary".  Am I going to have to buy more insurance from another company?  Before doing that I'd like to try just using what I have.  If they turn me down, how do I go about buying an accepted insurance?  And while I'm on the topic, what other paperwork is required by the NY consulate for a COE for a foreigner and a Thai national?  
  2. If everything is in order for the COE, how long does it take for it to be issued?  Our plan is to stay in the US for about 10 days.  How soon before our return flight can we apply for the COE?   Presumably this can be done in person at a Thai consulate or embassy.
  3. Is there really that much of a difference between a couples rate for one room and two individual rooms?  Considering it's 14 very long days (and for the sake of our marriage) would it be possible to get two adjoining rooms with a connecting door or would that violate the quarantine policy?
  4. I've read conflicting information about whether or not people are allowed out of their rooms for exercise while in ASQ. It seems to change every other week.   As of today, what is the actual rule?

There's probably a load of other things I'm not thinking of at this point and might add later.  

If you have knowledge or experience on this topic, please add anything that I might be missing, and if there's already a thread which lists all the requirements and makes recommendations, please provide a link.

Thanks very much.  ????

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

why would you want a connecting door between two bedrooms with just you and your wife there?

Plenty of reasons:

• Double the square footage
  • two bathrooms.
  • If someone wants to sleep and the other wants to exercise or watch TV.
  • If someone orders food that has a strong odor.
  • 14 days is a long time to be in a hotel room.
  • Like 2

If the main purpose of your trip is to visit the USA and travel there, that is fine

but

have you considered that the trip to the USA would likely increase your risk of exposure to the virus by a lot more than staying here and waiting for Thailand to get its act together with the vaccine.

Also, research is starting to point towards gaps being beneficial between virus doses... one dose seems to still offer a significant amount of protection.

• Like 1

We made exactly the same decision yesterday.  Bought tickets leaving June 22nd.  We'll fly into Seattle and stay with friends there for 2 weeks while our immunity creeps up after our first Pfizer jab.  Then over to Denver for our second jab and wail until we're fully covered at 5 weeks.

The US still has relatively high cases of covid.  The NY Times has a great series of maps that lay things out quite nicely.  Where we're going, the county has a relatively high rate of cases.  So we'll have to be extra careful.

Flying shouldn't be too bad as airports are empty and everyone on the flight has tested negative.  But will still double mask and follow all the safety procedures.  My biggest worry is the US airport.  Many there have made masks political.  Even if vaccinated, you can still get the virus and spread it along.

Samui and Phuket are "hopefully" opening up to fully vaccinated travelers July 1st.  You might want to consider this.  Supposedly, only 3 day quarantine in a hotel, then limited freedom of movement for a few days, then off you go.  5 weeks after your J&J jab you should be good to go.

How long do you plan to stay in the US?  Good luck!!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html

Edited by Jeffr2

I would wait a couple of months, and see how things go here. It is possible that private hospitals will offer the vaccine at a much lover cost and hassle than traveling to the US. The getting there should not be too bad, but getting back is another story. We just went through it to get back and it was a nightmare.

If you do go, call your insurance company, I Have Blue cross Blue shield, Their stock letter said the same thing as yours, but when i called and  talked to a nice girl that worked there and explained, she changed the later to indicate Covid coverage,, and say unlimited coverage.  She was even nice enough to email me forms for reimbursement claims. 

Good luck

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I would wait a couple of months, and see how things go here. It is possible that private hospitals will offer the vaccine at a much lover cost and hassle than traveling to the US. The getting there should not be too bad, but getting back is another story. We just went through it to get back and it was a nightmare.

If you do go, call your insurance company, I Have Blue cross Blue shield, Their stock letter said the same thing as yours, but when i called and  talked to a nice girl that worked there and explained, she changed the later to indicate Covid coverage,, and say unlimited coverage.  She was even nice enough to email me forms for reimbursement claims. 

Good luck

I don't think we'll see any of the better jabs here before October.  Worst case, next year.  And with these new variants emerging locally, the future doesn't look bright.  Especially since AZ doesn't off the best protection for the Indian variant.

We were scheduled June 16th for a shot.  That's probably going to be postponed, but the 2nd AZ shot for sure.  From 10 weeks to 16 weeks.  Not sure that's a good thing to do. 

I think after July 1st, it will be easier to get into Thailand.  But I agree, getting here right now is really tough, and NO fun! LOL.  We're looking at coming back in November.

I will be the doing the same thing.  I will be in Los Angeles.  This is a recently posted video about a Thai woman who flew to NYC to get vaccinated at a CVS pharmacy.  Looks rather easy.  It sounds like she got the Pfizer vaccine.  Also, it looks you might have go back to the same pharmacy to get the second dose 21 days later?

Good luck on your journey.

https://youtu.be/A50hYAkKLBg

Edited by sqwakvfr

37 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I don't think we'll see any of the better jabs here before October.  Worst case, next year.  And with these new variants emerging locally, the future doesn't look bright.  Especially since AZ doesn't off the best protection for the Indian variant.

We were scheduled June 16th for a shot.  That's probably going to be postponed, but the 2nd AZ shot for sure.  From 10 weeks to 16 weeks.  Not sure that's a good thing to do. 

I think after July 1st, it will be easier to get into Thailand.  But I agree, getting here right now is really tough, and NO fun! LOL.  We're looking at coming back in November.

They say that Thailand  should be open without restrictions October 1st. Of course it remains to be seen , but by November you should be good to go.

We are planning to go to Greece late August early September, and stay there for a couple of months, and by that time hopefully we can also come back without quarantine. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sirineou said:

They say that Thailand  should be open without restrictions October 1st. Of course it remains to be seen , but by November you should be good to go.

We are planning to go to Greece late August early September, and stay there for a couple of months, and by that time hopefully we can also come back without quarantine. 

I won't return if there's a mandatory 14 day quarantine.  Just won't do it.  Greece is something we've thought about also after getting our shots.  Hard to plan travel right now as things are constantly changing!!!!

• Like 1

Interested to know which airlines you are taking to Seattle and LA. I usually travel with EVA but Taiwan is closed for transit passengers from Thailand. I believe Narita is still open for transit passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Taiwan is closed for transit passengers from Thailand."

EVA was my first choice to LAX but Taiwan is still closed to transit passengers.  In my case the best places to connect are and have been SIN, ICN, NRT.  At this point Japan Air lines or ANA have the best fares for at least the next two months from BKK to LAX.  My plan is too look a what October looks like for entry into LOS.  Did 15 days in ASQ already this year so "not again".  If it is reduced to 7 days then possibly.  

In terms vaccine choices:  1) Pfizer-appears to offer the most protection and 21 days between doses 2) Moderna-appears to be second only to Pfizer and 28 days between doses 3) J&J appears to be less effective than Pfizer or Moderna but only one dose.  All these vaccines are readily available in my old neighborhood in Los Angeles County.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mackayae said:

Interested to know which airlines you are taking to Seattle and LA. I usually travel with EVA but Taiwan is closed for transit passengers from Thailand. I believe Narita is still open for transit passengers.

We're on JAL.  I think my friend just booked with EVA for mid June departure.  I'll have to ask him.

Ohhh....from the EVA website.  One reason it's sooooo hard to travel right now.  Things are in constant flux!!

https://www.evaair.com/en-th/about-eva-air/news/news-ticker/

May 17, 2021 News Ticker

Effective from 00:00 am on 19MAY2021(local flight schedule departure time). CECC imposes entry restrictions for non-R.O.C. nationals and travelers transiting through Taiwan are temporarily prohibited.

This topic looks interested as I'm going to do same and wondering what's the criteria for pfizer dose in n,y. J&J seems to be widely offered but also saw the posts saying that we only have to prove age by showing identity, including foreign passport. Is anyone aware of process difference between those who want to get J&J ones vs pfizer ones? 

44 minutes ago, Ken Yamagata said:

Is anyone aware of process difference between those who want to get J&J ones vs pfizer ones? 

At CVS pharmacy where many people are getting vaccinated, you can use their website to see which brand vaccine is available at each location.  Choose a location that has the brand of vaccine you want.  You will only have to show your passport for identification purposes.  They won't care if you are a foreigner or your visa status.  Vaccines are free to all nationalities.  Same process if you choose pfizer, moderna or J&J.

Edited by Phillip9
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

This is a recently posted video about a Thai woman who flew to NYC to get vaccinated at a CVS pharmacy.  Looks rather easy.  It sounds like she got the Pfizer vaccine.  Also, it looks you might have go back to the same pharmacy to get the second dose 21 days later?

Its all very easy.  You don't have to go back to the same CVS for your second shot.  You can choose any location giving the same vaccine.  You can register online and then see which vaccine is available at each location, and then schedule an appointment to get vaccinated at a location that has the vaccine you want.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ken Yamagata said:

This topic looks interested as I'm going to do same and wondering what's the criteria for pfizer dose in n,y. J&J seems to be widely offered but also saw the posts saying that we only have to prove age by showing identity, including foreign passport. Is anyone aware of process difference between those who want to get J&J ones vs pfizer ones? 

I'm not sure about NY, but my research for California, Washington and Colorado show no ID required for a jab.  Just roll up your sleeve.  One reason is they don't want to discourage illegal immigrants. 

In all 3 states, there are vaccine finder websites that show what's available and what the requirements are for the jabs.  Seems the private ones (pharmacies, etc) might require an ID, where the government ones don't.  And these websites show what jabs are available, and how to make appointments.

In these 3 states, you can get any jab anywhere and just about any time.  Wide open.  My friend's wife, from Vietnam, with no green card, just got her Pfizer jab.  No questions asked.

An interesting video about this from Mint about her vaccine vacation to the US. LOL

https://fb.watch/5JqfHLgCQC/

• Like 1

"You can register online and then see which vaccine is available at each location, and then schedule an appointment to get vaccinated at a location that has the vaccine you want"

Just one minor issue with CVS:

CVS.com® is not available to customers or patients who are located outside of the United States or U.S. territories. We apologize for any inconvenience.

So a VPN would be needed if you attempt to access from LOS.  Good luck with those are about to embark on this vaccine adventure.  

You may wish to consider that in going to an airport, flying in  a closed metal tube, filled with many others, and then repeating the airport process at the other end, you must be significantly increasing your risk of covid exposure.  Just in terms of probabilities and risk management,  is it not more sensible to wait for the vaccine to arrive in Thailand and control your environment here to minimise risk? That is certainly the conclusion that I have come to.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 2

There are now suggestions that the first shot of some of the two-dose vaccines may be 90%+ effective in preventing serious symptoms and death from SARS-CoV-2 virus infection...therefore the longer period inbetween shots, particularly in countries where there is limited vaccine supply. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

You may wish to consider that in going to an airport, flying in  a closed metal tube, filled with many others, and then repeating the airport process at the other end, you must be significantly increasing your risk of covid exposure.  Just in terms of probabilities and risk management,  is it not more sensible to wait for the vaccine to arrive in Thailand and control your environment here to minimise risk? That is certainly the conclusion that I have come to.  

Good point.  But anyone on the plane has tested negative within the past 72 hours.  And that would cover a transit as well.  The Bangkok airport is dead.  My worry is the US airport.

The big problem is what if the better jabs don't get here until next year?  I don't want to wait that long.  And, can explore perhaps the Caribbean, Mexico or Central America during this trip.  A win-win!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

There are now suggestions that the first shot of some of the two-dose vaccines may be 90%+ effective in preventing serious symptoms and death from SARS-CoV-2 virus infection...therefore the longer period inbetween shots, particularly in countries where there is limited vaccine supply. 

Suggestions, but no scientific proof yet.  Hopefully, the Canadian and UK studies will be done within a few months.

Thank you for the all tips. I have an access to US network and able to complete the pre-requisite process for coming weekend.

Hopefully everything works well. Uncertainty arises is whether CDC proof will work for future travels, esp if you're not departing from US. "Vaccine passport" thing is still under discussion and vary by country and country.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/26/americas/vaccine-tourism-usa-latam-intl/index.html

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says "jurisdictions cannot add United States citizenship requirements or require United States citizenship verification as a condition for vaccination."

Going a step further, New York City has opened mobile vaccination sites close to the city's attractions. "We're setting up mobile vaccination opportunities for tourists in some of the best trafficked parts of New York City, the places that tourists love to go and look I think this is part of the welcome back to New York City, we want everyone to be safe," Mayor Bill de Blasio told reporters on May 11.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I'm not sure about NY, but my research for California, Washington and Colorado show no ID required for a jab.  Just roll up your sleeve.  One reason is they don't want to discourage illegal immigrants. 

In all 3 states, there are vaccine finder websites that show what's available and what the requirements are for the jabs.  Seems the private ones (pharmacies, etc) might require an ID, where the government ones don't.  And these websites show what jabs are available, and how to make appointments.

In these 3 states, you can get any jab anywhere and just about any time.  Wide open.  My friend's wife, from Vietnam, with no green card, just got her Pfizer jab.  No questions asked.

An interesting video about this from Mint about her vaccine vacation to the US. LOL

https://fb.watch/5JqfHLgCQC/

I'm leaning towards flying out of here to the USA as well for better jab selection, but going to wait here few more months. I have read in the USA they are not concerned what citizenship you have but requesting where you work or an address where you are being vaccinated. Would this be an issue if I where to land in Seattle or SFO for jab ? I'm Canadian, the Canada trip option is a large costly headache - test on arrival, load your travel details on a government app, Government mandatory 3 night quarantine equivalent to 35,000 baht to wait for your test result, if negative can continue home for remaining 11 days self quarantine,  jabs apparently are 16 weeks apart now. A Seattle trip would be 2 jabs in 5-6 weeks I assume - 5 weeks hotel. Then the COE Thai entry requirements and quarantine again..... its all just cash, cash, cash, cashola........thanks

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I can't guarantee every flight will be like that but my guess is they will be for the next few months, thus now is a great time to fly. We flew economy but I was able to have a whole row to myself 

I had the same experience fly back to the USA through Singapore.  There were literally more flight attendants on the plane than passengers.  I had contact with almost no one the entire trip home.  I would consider my flights and arrival near zero covid risk.  

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

I have read in the USA they are not concerned what citizenship you have but requesting where you work or an address where you are being vaccinated. Would this be an issue if I where to land in Seattle or SFO for jab ?

They might ask you to write down an in-state address on whatever form they use, but they won't ask for proof of that, and your hotel address should be fine. At the moment there is no shortage of vaccine, and the federal government is paying for all of it, so no one will particularly care who you are or where you're from.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

I have read in the USA they are not concerned what citizenship you have but requesting where you work or an address where you are being vaccinated. 

Get vaccinated at a private pharmacy like CVS.  They won't ask you anything about your work.  They may ask for an address when you register, but they won't verify it.  Just put your hotel address.

Some of the local government run mass vaccination centers may only vaccinate local residents, so probably best to avoid them.

• Thanks 1

For those planning on traveling to the US, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to get vaccinated.   If you are worried, get a good N-95 mask, which will actually protect you from the virus.   Ordinary masks really are more effective at protecting others from you, that's why it's important that everybody wear them.  An N-95 give you much more protection.  

The weather is nice and being outside without a mask is very safe.  If you are in downtown NY or a very crowded place, you may want to wear a mask.  

The mask mandates have mostly been dropped IF you are fully vaccinated and with the age for vaccinations being dropped down to 12 years of age, I suspect the rates of infection will continue to drop.  

I will tell you that after I had the first shot, it was amazing how life changed.   The sun seemed a little brighter, the air a little fresher and that low-level anxiety that pervaded every aspect of life outside my home just disappeared.  

Best of luck.  Keep us posted.  

• Like 2