Ride-hailing taxi apps to be made legal in Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, TimBKK said:

Use Bolt in Pattaya, cheaper and better in my experiences.  Never have I paid more than the pre-established fare unless 1) I decide to give extra for a tip or 2) the established route is impassable (for example, road construction) and the driver has to take a longer route, but even then Bolt recalculates the fare and that is what I pay.

Some of my friends have said there are very few Bolt drivers and it can be hard to book a ride. This was at least a year ago so things may have changed.

Damn...guess I've been riding around illegally all these years! 

Been breaking yet another stoo-pid law to go right along with not buying no booze 'tween 2-5pm ???? and no courtesans!????????????????

3 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Some of my friends have said there are very few Bolt drivers and it can be hard to book a ride. This was at least a year ago so things may have changed.

interesting, never had that problem in central Pattaya to be honest.  Longest I have waited is 3 minutes.   Might be a different story when more tourists are here, however.  Bolt even has a “Ladies” driver option which I kinda like in an admittedly white-knightish way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

One of the good things about Bangkok is that one can readily find a taxi no matter where you are and no matter what time. Except of course for lower Sukhumvit after BTS stops running.

Be a shame if this is adversely effected. 

I get where you are coming from but isn’t Grab even better ?

Type in your pick-up & destination and then simply wait 3-5 minutes for the cab to pick you up. No hassles, no haggling, no wandering the streets looking for a taxi. 

I can’t see any reason the busy areas will have any issues but it’s definitely a big benefit for people like me that live down a quiet Soi. Up until 3-4 years ago, we had to send a local motorbike taxi on a scouting mission to get a taxi to pick us up at home.

6 hours ago, jonclark said:

I foresee taxi drivers protesting outside the transport ministry by the weeks end,. This will result in them submitting a letter outlining their loss of income by making Grab legal and a direct competitor. The transport minister will then form a committee to look into their grievences. The outcome of which will be a raise in the 37 baht flag fare fee to 40 baht. Followed by much muttering from taxi drivers, who will accept this token rise. 

easy answer to that one.. all the government has to tell the disgruntled taxi drivers is that the new drivers are  going to be held to a higher standard : have a driving license and no criminal record. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The retired guy said:

We are using “Bolt”, half the price compared to Grab 

I heard that. No doubt just trying to grab (hah) market share then will normalise prices to the market. Get it while you can. ????

• Like 1

So these guys are telling me their taxis all are 9years or younger models. And that all their taxis have gps. Or are they saying that grab has other rules to follow then their own taxis?

It's about time they're made legal. I got hassled so often in Pattaya, it was always an adventure getting one in and around popular areas. You'd have to be very discrete about pick-up. The security/traffic guards at and near Hilton & Central would always be on the look out and snitch to the cops. One time I had a lady Uber driver (before Grab) suddenly take-off on a cop that stopped us through the horrendous Second Rd. traffic. I though I was going to either die or end up in jail.

It sounds like they are going to make sure it stays more expensive than meter taxis though. Probably needed to make the cabbies happy but I don't mind paying a little more to not have to walk down my quiet soi in hot weather to get a taxi.

Edited by worldexpress
  • Like 1

Hear, Hear, the boys down at the government house have gotten their priorities right again. After years of "illegality" they consider legalizing something which had been ignored by the electorate from Day One. 

Like booze ban which is a big joke all over Thailand except there, where money can be blackmailed out of culprits. Prostitution and corruption does not exist as well yet is rampant everywhere 24/7. 

So, what exactly is the news here; the consideration of legalizing something illegal or giving in to what the electorate wants while it was considered forbidden by the executive - to the benefit of the executives lining their pockets by fining the electorate without receipts? 

I never have a problem finding a taxi in Bangkok, the problem is finding one that will take me where I want to go. If the trip is not too short then it's too far or its too busy or he's out of gas or petrol or he's on his way home. It's not down to my poor Thai language skills as I'm nearly always with my Thai wife and as you can imagine she always does all the talking. 

On 5/26/2021 at 4:19 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yes I pay cash. The times I've used the app or approached "Grab" branded parked cars, the drivers all want to negotiate a fare. I guess if one registers a form of electronic payment, if they accept the ride they would take the app based fare.

If you approach the driver, you have no protection should the ride go tits up. It's unwise at best. Just get a dodgy cab then, whats the point of using a Grab car outside the system, how does that benefit you? If you negotiate having hailed the car via the app, the driver then cancels the booking, but takes you, again, youre totally unprotected and could possibly get nicked under certain circumstances. Because TiT rubber law.

Edited by chalawaan