Receiving Package & Customs

AAArdvark

I want to send a used phone from the Philippines to Thailand (Isaan) via DHL.  What are the chances that there might be customs issues?  I don't want it stuck at BKK for a customs payment.

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Don't use DHL or any of the other couriers, you will get stung for duty and VAT. There may also be issues with importing radio devices ???? 

Send by one of the services such as EMS which use the regular mail system, much better chance of avoiding issues.

Yes, DHL and the other famous courier companies love to spend your money.  They declare everything to customs with a suspiciously inflated value.

I recently received a protective motorcycle 'shirt' from the US and it was sent by courier - customs duty as arranged by the courier exceeded the purchase price.  Same issue with a bag for sports equipment sent from Singapore by courier.

Mail order items sent by regular post usually arrive with no additional costs.  Only once when using Thai Post did I get a message asking me to collect it from the local post office as there was duty to pay - and the amount was minimal.  In this case the goods were a large long-board, so may have attracted understandable attention from Customs.