Which fiber optic modem you would recommend for True internet usage?

samlowry

Their provided modem, white Gigatex with Wi-Fi worked super buggy - looks like it overheat and glitch. I switched off its Wi-Fi and connected it to a separate Wi-Fi router - and everything became way faster.

But I worry it still can be buggy a bit because of it's worse design. I tried to configure the 3BB fiber modem - didn't work.

Which fiber modem you would recommend for True (which one for sure worked with True - suppose, providers modify firmware and put some settings into firmware)? Wi-Fi not necessary and even better to have modem only - I plan to use my own mesh Wi-Fi routers.

I don't have much experience with this, so I might be wrong, but I think this is standardized, and basically any fiber modem will work.

Do you have any friend near you who has AIS fiber? AIS fiber comes with separate modem and router, so you could borrow the modem from your friend, try if it works and if it does just buy the same modem.

But you can also find some second hand modems for 200-300 on Shopee, in case it doesn't work you don't lose much.

Do you have the things like username, password etc. from True to setup the connection on your own router?

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

I don't have much experience with this, so I might be wrong, but I think this is standardized, and basically any fiber modem will work.

Do you have any friend near you who has AIS fiber? AIS fiber comes with separate modem and router, so you could borrow the modem from your friend, try if it works and if it does just buy the same modem.

But you can also find some second hand modems for 200-300 on Shopee, in case it doesn't work you don't lose much.

Do you have the things like username, password etc. from True to setup the connection on your own router?

I have PPPoE username/pass, but there isn't connection between 3bb modem (I remind - we talk about line from True) and provider I suppose on lower level, then PPPoE.

My guess is I don't see some hidden settings, I'm pretty sure True modified firmware and hide them - I saw some screenshots of admin panel of this model on Internet and some tabs are hidden in True provided one.

So I see no reason to buy just any random modem - as I said I also have 3bb modem with me. Also, I got another old modem today from another house, looks like a True modem.

But I wanted to get info from any True line users. As I got from Thai forums that Gigatex is surely pain in the ass because it overheats and glitch. So, maybe some True line user passed the journey I plan to pass and have some advice like a "go to True and buy that one" or "they hide such settings and such".

Edited by samlowry

No you can’t just use any modem, you will always need some kind of ONT supplied by the ISP. This converts the fibre signal when it enters your house.

The best thing you can do at the moment, is put your gigaflex router in bridge mode and then use your mesh router to do the work.

I have mentioned before that anyone can quite easily put it into bridge mode under true’s instruction, but the tech guys will come round to your place and do it for you.

If you are looking for the cleanest solution, someone mentioned AIS offer a separate ONT, (probably a Huawei HG8010H) which is about the size of a cigarette box. You could ask true if they offer this instead of the gigaflex unit.

You will find it faster to use bridge mode because your own router is able to route the traffic more efficiently than the cheap ISP supplied kit.
You can run it as you are, by turning off the wifi and plugging an Ethernet cable, but you create a double NAT or you can use your mesh system in AP (access point) mode.

What mesh system do you own? 

• Like 2

True provides all in one fiber/LAN/Wifi/TV box so it will be quite hard to replace completely. You could of course opt for Huawei's fiber/LAN modem like most/all other providers offer, and then plug it into a router of your own choice. Don't think you'd profit much in terms of stability though.

On overheat - yes, my modem is hot as well and tends to drop wifi and even LAN from time to time. Given it's one in all box I have not yet figured out if packet drops are issue with the modem or the line.

On Mesh system - if you know where to find MoCA 2.5 adapters, and your home is already wired for TV, that might be a far better way to get stable connection than Mesh, and much faster as well.

First ask your ISP if you can use your own modem.

I'm with 3bb and couldnt get a newly bought modem (Huawei) to work.

Had all the credentials and gone through some sites and youtube videos on how to set it up but nothing worked.

A call to the Servicecenter and the technician told me that I can only use the provided router.

If you want (and can use) a modem, you can have mine, I have no use for it.

16 minutes ago, MoD1977 said:

First ask your ISP if you can use your own modem.

I'm with 3bb and couldnt get a newly bought modem (Huawei) to work.

Had all the credentials and gone through some sites and youtube videos on how to set it up but nothing worked.

A call to the Servicecenter and the technician told me that I can only use the provided router.

If you want (and can use) a modem, you can have mine, I have no use for it.

Not to split hairs, but you are confused on what router is .. a router, as the name says routes and manages your traffic - the “modem”converts the light signal from the cable into a digital signal. 

Of course you can use your own router on your own home network. What you can’t do is plug the incoming fiber line into your own kit, you need something supplied by the ISP, I didn’t think it was technically possible to use your own ONU, but @tomazbodnerposts that you can.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Not to split hairs, but you are confused on what router is .. a router, as the name says routes and manages your traffic - the “modem”converts the light signal from the cable into a digital signal. 

Of course you can use your own router on your own home network. What you can’t do is plug the incoming fiber line into your own kit, you need something supplied by the ISP, I didn’t think it was technically possible to use your own ONU, but @tomazbodnerposts that you can.

No I'm not confused, I know the difference between a Router and a Modem.

I think you dont understand or didnt read the question the OP asked.

He want to eliminate the ISP's router and use just a modem with his own router pluged into it.

That was also my goal but didnt work out with 3bb so I use now the ISP router in bridged mode with my own router pluged into it.

These ISP routers are a piece of s**t and I still have to reboot my bridged one once a week to work properly otherwise the streaming services stop working.

Edited by MoD1977

20 minutes ago, recom273 said:

OP "could" technically use a fiber FFTX modem and a router instead of a fiber router. However that might be difficult to setup, as modem will need information on how to connect to ISP, and generally that information will be known by the telecom technician, not end-user. If OP believes True would help with setup, then GPON is available for sale locally:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/huawei-hg8310m-gpon-1ge-onu-ont-c-modem-with-single-lan-port-apply-to-ftth-modes-i1012582403.html

Compatibility with True Gigatex should be confirmed with seller. The linked one does work with AIS, CAT, TOT and 3BB.

It's fairly easy to setup: Plug in cross LAN cable, read manual for default IP address and set your PC to same subnet. Username and password are in manual as well. Plug in fiber cable into fiber socket. Turn it on. Login. Enter the required data and test connection. Once connection shows as online, unplug the cable from computer and plug it into your router's WAN port. In router website set the IP of the GPON as a gateway, and apply settings. Test connectivity. If all works fine, set up the the rest of configuration.

The hardest part for OP will be getting information of what to configure into GPON box. Once over that hurdle, it should be a breeze. Except - calling True with any technical issues after that will be promptly declined for using non-standard equipment, so in terms of support he's on his own.

3 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

OP "could" technically use a fiber FFTX modem and a router instead of a fiber router. However that might be difficult to setup, as modem will need information on how to connect to ISP, and generally that information will be known by the telecom technician, not end-user. If OP believes True would help with setup, then GPON is available for sale locally:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/huawei-hg8310m-gpon-1ge-onu-ont-c-modem-with-single-lan-port-apply-to-ftth-modes-i1012582403.html

Compatibility with True Gigatex should be confirmed with seller. The linked one does work with AIS, CAT, TOT and 3BB.

It's fairly easy to setup: Plug in cross LAN cable, read manual for default IP address and set your PC to same subnet. Username and password are in manual as well. Plug in fiber cable into fiber socket. Turn it on. Login. Enter the required data and test connection. Once connection shows as online, unplug the cable from computer and plug it into your router's WAN port. In router website set the IP of the GPON as a gateway, and apply settings. Test connectivity. If all works fine, set up the the rest of configuration.

The hardest part for OP will be getting information of what to configure into GPON box. Once over that hurdle, it should be a breeze. Except - calling True with any technical issues after that will be promptly declined for using non-standard equipment, so in terms of support he's on his own.

That’s the one I have, it was already setup in bridge mode by 3BB, they replaced the monster ONU-GPON and the tech made a telephone call, while he was doing this the lights started flashing and i was in business. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

The modem in your link is exactly the one i have and they advertised it to work with 3bb but i couldnt get it working.

Maybe 3bb using a MAC whitelist with only their provided devices in it(as the ISP's in my homecountry have done many years)

Just now, MoD1977 said:

The modem in your link is exactly the one i have and they advertised it to work with 3bb but i couldnt get it working.

Maybe 3bb using a MAC whitelist with only their provided devices in it(as the ISP's in my homecountry have done many years)

Yup, this is what I thought - 3BB will supply these to you if you are really pushy. I have a 3BB branded one, I think you have posted about your issues in the past.

Sorry, I was confused by your last post about the tech.

1 hour ago, MoD1977 said:

• Like 1

I was quite surprised how hot modern routers run nowadays even with some big heatsink. But the heatsink are mainly for CPU but the switch and wifi chips are without heatsinks.

If you like to DIY, I would suggest to open the Gigatex and all some stick on heatsinks if you are allowed to.

If not, then get a fan to force air into or suck out of the router and increase the router feet / distance from the table. Even if it is in bridge mode and overheating, it will still cause a disconnect.

A simple plug in socket electric timer can be used to restart the router every morning or at least once a week.

I thought fiber modem can't be setup by users, only the ISP can do that ? I guess it is different from Malaysia.

Edited by extercy

50 minutes ago, extercy said:

I was quite surprised how hot modern routers run nowadays even with some big heatsink. But the heatsink are mainly for CPU but the switch and wifi chips are without heatsinks.

If you like to DIY, I would suggest to open the Gigatex and all some stick on heatsinks if you are allowed to.

If not, then get a fan to force air into or suck out of the router and increase the router feet / distance from the table. Even if it is in bridge mode and overheating, it will still cause a disconnect.

A simple plug in socket electric timer can be used to restart the router every morning or at least once a week.

I thought fiber modem can't be setup by users, only the ISP can do that ? I guess it is different from Malaysia.

My hypothesis - the whole modem design is weak. Including software. IDK - maybe it was built on weak processor which was overclocked or (the most probable thing) - it has lots of non-optimized mistakes in the code which cause excessive load to processor w/o any actual job.

I never had such problem with default 3bb modem+wifi router (white one, don't remember the brand) regardless temperature in the room - it was 1-story house in Chiang Mai which is famous its windless dry heat.

So I literally don't trust that modem that's why I want to try some another.

My old 3BB router (Fiberhome) worked fine after set to bridged mode but never could get the full 1Gb out of it.

The new 3BB router (Huawei) can deliver the full 1Gb speeds up and down but has its problems (overheat? software? who knows).

I have to restart it twice a week otherwise I cannot connect streaming services and Microsoft exchange anymore.

A bit pain in the ar** but not a big thing.

If it gets worse then I'll check if there are some settings what can be deactivated or let the support fix it.