Batteries

Misab

IT-City certainly used to have battery bins and used lead-acid will be hoovered up rapidly by the local recycling chaps.

But I agree, there's really not enough disposal options for used cells.

• Like 1

In England collection boxes used to be placed in local govt offices ( e.g. housing ), doctors surgeries, libraries, Citizen Advice Bureaus, some hospitals and supermarkets.
Not sure how often they were collected or where they ended up.

Here ( Thailand ) in my local keep fit park there are rubbish bins that are too far away e.g. one metre for people to put rubbish in.

The park had a tree planing ceremony with local bigwigs, flowers were placed around the parks name board with the picture of the king, trees planted infront and elsewhere around the park - very nice !

The polystyrene transport boxes that held the flower pots and flowers, well they got dumped by the side of the parks pond and water canals ( out of the way ) but not out of eyesight.

I agree entirely that disposal bins for batteries is an excellent idea but here little chance I am afraid.

My laptop battery has inflated and I brought it to the brand's service center and asked them to dispose it properly. The technicians were looking at me like

WAT.jpg.df47d5a7b2e0e1ce27a4049905709142.jpg

After trying to explain that the battery has lithium inside so I don't want to put it in the trash bin they asked me to follow them to brand's shop nearby and I've had the same conversation with the salesman. She gone WAT again, but after a short talk with the technician she said "OK you could leave the battery here".

I believe I was the very first person who came to the service center asking to dispose the dead battery :D And I wonder where do they put the dead batteries from other customers' laptops.

Also there is an "electronic waste" trash bin in Central Festival, guess what's inside?

yea - plastic cups and meal boxes from McDonald's nearby.

In my home country, I just picked up all these single use vape pens (which contain a lithium battery) from along the beach. These are all the rage with school kids, but they seem to be oblivious to the negative effects on the environment. I walk along this beach everyday. One day they weren't there, the next they were.

Screenshot_20210529_202405_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210503_115102_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

IMG_20210503_105821.jpg

IMG_20210503_105759.jpg

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, fdsa said:

After trying to explain that the battery has lithium inside so I don't want to put it in the trash bin

A lithium battery is more landfill friendly than a NiCad. If it is discharged properly before disposal. Just submerge in a weak brine solution. RC guys have been doing this for years.  

What the OP wants personally is irrelevant.

Edit: That the Vape Pens were found at the beach one could argue that they were left there so that the lithium cell/battery could be completely discharged and condition in brine, for disposal.

Edited by VocalNeal

51 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Why not just throw them to the side of the street like all the other trash in Thailand is discarded. 

Why not have your own little box in your house where you personally discard used batteries and take them to a recycle place when your box is full.

14 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why not have your own little box in your house where you personally discard used batteries and take them to a recycle place when your box is full.

I was being facetious.  Somehow the idea that there should be special trash bins for batteries seems like making sure the cabin steward replaced your toilet paper on the Titanic.  Far bigger problems with trash of all kinds just being discarded.  

Personally, instead of locking up three old men for having a beer in a bar, I would find it far more productive to start to fine those who spoil the environment for everyone by discarding huge volumes of garbage all over the streets. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

is there any recycle place at all?

the "Wongpanit" recycle facility on Phuket seems not to accept batteries.

and another funny post:

On 5/3/2021 at 9:16 AM, HarrySeaman said:

About two years ago my Samsung tablet quit working.  I took it to the Samsung repair facility in Pattaya and asked them to fix it.  Their answer was to just replace it since it was more than three years old.  I asked them to dispose of the old tablet as electronic trash.  They pointed me to a waste bin, Thailand's solution to disposing of electronic waste.

Edited by fdsa

20 hours ago, Misab said:

Please Thailand, I want a box in every center (close to the entrance) where we can throw used batteries in.

They often don't even have regular trash cans, they might start with those.

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

T-City certainly used to have battery bins

It wouldn't surprise me if these just get put into a regular bin later on.

• Like 1