Thai restauranteurs struggle to stay afloat amid rising infections

webfact

23 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that the restrictions on dining in had really hurt his business

Even if restaurants, and pubs, could open unrestricted (%, alcohol sale) how many customers want to go out?

I think some are over-estimating the volume and under-estimating the willingness of potential customers willing to dine out?

It's the economy vaccine, stupid.

The regime has one task, and one task alone - get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible.

Weird that a military government doesn't understand the mission?

Edited by mtls2005

The alcohol ban is a large part of it. Having a beer/glass of wine before and during the meal is a large part of the dining experience for many.

Personally I can't be bothered to make the effort if I'm going to have to drink Coke or water. I did it a few times but it's just meh...

I think the government should really rethink the rules so that genuine restaurants can serve as normal. The fact is they can't be bothered to differentiate between let's say a nice Italian restaurant and a beer bar on soi 6 selling peanuts with bottles of Chang. It's easy to do but they simply can't be arsed. So they just ban everything and livelihoods and businesses are destroyed as a result.

But what do the Generals care? They will still have their private parties at their mansions with their Burmese Butlers and Army conscripts serving fine European wine so screw the serfs.

• Sad 1

On the topic of alcohol, unfortunately there is solid evidence that drinking in eating establishments, even with social distancing is a big vector for spreading the virus.

People, on average, talk more loudly and sloppily when drinking even moderate amounts of alcohol. 

Very cruel and heartless policy. And for what? 

This is certainly the first time in history (first wave excluded) that most of the worlds economies were deliberately shut down. Even during all 51 of the major plagues, between 541AD In Europe and Western Asia, and the last one to happen in China in 1946, the Japanese smallpox plague of AD735, the Mexican smallpox plague of 1519, the massive influenza plague of 1616, which took an estimated 50% or more, of the local populations in Europe, and North America, the Russian cholera epidemic of 1846, the worldwide flu pandemic of 1889, and of course the infamous Spanish flu of 1918, which took out an estimated 20-100 million people, ports were locked down, and some isolation was done, but economies were never totally shut down. Makes one wonder what it truly going on.