Driving license temp (2year) to full (5 year)

Currently out of the country since covid last year and since i'm out I might as well get vaxed (second dose July 22). I am planning to return back early August via HKT. I would like to know if I can make it on time or not. 

Expiry is 16th August. Since i left Thailand I will need to get a new condo when i return it means i probably wont have the residency certificate, although i should be traveling on an non-imm B if that makes any difference.

Is there any grace period or is the 2 year temp license enforced to its exact expiration date? therefore I lose it and have to do it all over again? Thanks!

To renew from a 2 year temp licence to a 5 year licence the process is the same. 

You still have to the ‘class room colour vision, reaction and proximity tests and watch the video).

The only outstanding question is whether or not IF you renew outside of your 2 year temp licence is if you then can renew for another 2 year temp licence or a 5 year licence. 

So, the process you go through is exactly the same before expiry and after expiry (within a year), its a simple licence renewal and you have to do the classroom tests. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Thanks Richard

My plan is to exchange the 2 year temp permit to a 5 year license when I get back. I just wasn't sure if I do so after the expiration date, If I need to do the whole process again i.e., theory and practice. But it sounds like I can do it as normal and follow the regular process within a year after the expiry date in August with the classroom test only. 

12 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

I did 2 to 5 year renewal in Phuket last month. There was no classroom or video required. Only reaction and colorblind test.

I have seen posts here that claims if your 2 year is expired at renewal you will only get another 2 year license? Never tried this myself.

I read that due to limited available appointments (covid) at test centres, police have been told to not bother drivers with expired driving licences (up to 1 year, I think).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, yankyoakum said:

To those that recently renewed, did you need another medical certificate showing you are still healthy?  IE breathing..

You will need a Med Cert changing from 2yr to 5yr after that not required (and a letter from immigration) Do you have a license from your own country?

38 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You will need a Med Cert changing from 2yr to 5yr after that not required (and a letter from immigration) Do you have a license from your own country?

Certificate of residence, either from your Embassy or immigration.

39 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You will need a Med Cert changing from 2yr to 5yr after that not required

They changed this a few months ago, now med cert always required. Somewhere here on Thaivisa was a news article about this.

• Like 1

I have never been asked to show my drivers license at a police stop. Sometimes they ask for the passport, but most of the time they ask for something entirely different:)

Edited by AlQaholic

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Allowing yourself to get fleeced because you are weak is nothing to be proud of.....  

Carry a licence and stay within the regulations and the police can’t fleece you.

....And...... the police most definitely do ask for a licence at a Police stop.... 

I have a valid drivers license, and, as I said, I have never been asked for it at any police stop, ever.

On 5/31/2021 at 2:18 PM, richard_smith237 said:

To renew from a 2 year temp licence to a 5 year licence the process is the same. 

You still have to the ‘class room colour vision, reaction and proximity tests and watch the video).

Not in Chiang Mai. I did this change last year and all I had to do was submit forms and passport copies together with 2 year expiring license. The only test I did was colour recognition and no video was involved. I took sandwiches expecting to be there all day but the whole process took just over an hour.

On 5/31/2021 at 2:18 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The only outstanding question is whether or not IF you renew outside of your 2 year temp licence is if you then can renew for another 2 year temp licence or a 5 year licence. 

So, the process you go through is exactly the same before expiry and after expiry (within a year), its a simple licence renewal and you have to do the classroom tests. 

In Banglamung only 5to5 renewals view the training video not for some unknown reason 2to5 yr renewals and they are not running the video (too many people in small room - just like immigration!). At present there is still an amnesty on renewals due to Wuflu at least to the end of June and possibly longer as the current spike in infections continues. I am again trying to do a 5to5yr renewal this week and have just with some effort renewed my Doctor's and Residence Certs. Will report back on success or failure! 

Ok how do I get a residence cert, ask for one at Immigration? My wife bought a house in Bangsarae and thats last stop. I have a pink card but it has Chiangmai address of Grandmas house.  And I thought this would be easy.....right.....

Be ware of Murphy's 17th Law

Work flows to the competent man until he drowns....