The grand re-opening? Just 20 American tourists to arrive in Phuket on July 9

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that he had been in discussions with his counterparts at the Thai tourism ministry and they were expecting 3-4 million foreign tourists this year. 

Thaivisa did the math - that would mean for the top end assessment 18,691 would need to arrive every day on average.

????????????  I guess these numbers are to be expected from all of the relatives working together at TAT.  I think 30-40 thousand is about tops for this year.

9 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

????????????  I guess these numbers are to be expected from all of the relatives working together at TAT.  I think 30-40 thousand is about tops for this year.

Just the usual guesstimate multiplied by a hundred - standard practice for TAT

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Galley said:

before you believe in any news , please countercheck with embassy or consulate concerned to avoid any disappointment.

I guess that you will be up then for a quadruple surprise if you - let's hypothetically say - check 4 different Thai or home country embassies or consulates since you'll certainly get 4 different answers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I was really hoping the Phuket Sandbox scheme would somehow materialize.  I have to visit the US June and July. I have to work here in Bangkok July 29th, so as of now, I have to book a quarantine hotel for 2 weeks, at a cost of 30,000 baht +, and spend 2 miserable weeks in that hotel room alone.  If the Phuket Sandbox scheme happens, would I be able to not leave Suvarnabhumi, catch a plane to Phuket after I arrive from the US, spend 7 days in Phuket, roaming around at will, and then return to Bangkok? If so, I would not have to cut my time in the US as short, and I would not have to spend so much money paying for something I don't want, namely 2 weeks alone in a hotel room in Bangkok.  Any thoughts on that?

4 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Wow !

Phuket seems to be bottom of the heap for Tourists.

You would think with all the C##p then Americans have been through with this awful Covid, they would be busting to get away to the Sun for a few weeks.

Maybe they are getting away, just not to Phuket. 

Americans are less likely to come to Thailand even under normal circumstances, as the minimum 27 hour trip is brutal. Add that with jet lag, and you've lost 3 days both ways. Not to mention that most Americans can't take off more than 2 weeks at a time for holiday.
They will most likely go to Mexico or South America, with less restrictions, more open businesses, and beautiful beaches.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, smedly said:

I suspect the 20 from USA are not tourists at all but expats who have been vaccinated and have been waiting for an easy way to return to their homes in Thailand - no real surprise is it

Maybe 2 expats and 18 employees of CNN . 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, matveo said:

I'm based in Shanghai, where there are no covid cases, had 2 doses of a WHO vaccin... If I go back to Shanghai I'll need to quarantine 2 weeks at a quarantine hotel and 1 week at home.

If I go back to Europe I don't need to quarantine.

If I go to Thailand which has 5k contaminations per day (and how many more untested) I surelly don't see any logic in being quarantined 14 days at arrival...

I would surelly consider the July 1st Phuket Scheme to skip this 14 days quarantine, just like I considered all the previous so called openings from the past year... but none ever happened as originaly described... everything which has been announced by the thai gov never ends ups being applied. Living in another asian country I know as a foreigner you're usually the last concern... but the thai gov should stop making promess if they're never going to keep any of them. If they were still a somewhat 0 covid country I'd understand the logic but since thats gone for the past 6+ months its really a weird mix of contradictory announcements.

So like many people I'm not going to plan anything, I'll just check how it goes starting july 1st, if the opening is actually a reality, if I can find plane tickets and if my vaccine which is validated by WHO is also recognised by the thai gov for this opening... and if past 1 week, people are really allowed in other parts of thailand...

Then and only then I'll consider Thailand as an option... therefore not surprised only 20 travelers are accounted for in july.

As you can see the planes are loaded with tourists! Austrian Airlines 777 with 10 passengers in economy! Get ready Phuket!!!!!

IMG_0240.jpeg

• Like 2

They have not approved the program and published the rules yet. Are they offering COE's without an ASQ reservation? I would not book a trip yet either. 

What is the health ministry saying? How is the 70% vaccination rate to reopen looking? Did anyone save some shots for the Bangla girls? Patong will be deserted without them.

1 hour ago, fleccer said:

And what about the quarantine period? If they don't remove this requirement for all, both vaccinated and not vaccinated, no tourist will came not now not ever.

A friend of mine has sent me a video clip about his vacation in Moscow , no restrictions at all, every shops and business are open, no masks at all. Another planet compared to the land of smile, a smile that no longer exists for some time now. 

For unvaccinated, forget it. Don't want shots? Stay home! There have been internationally required vaccinations for years and this will be another. 

5 hours ago, rasmus5150 said:

Could also be the American CNN crew with families, invited for free by TAT, to report on how successful Phuket's  sandbox launch was doing......

All twenty of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1