The grand re-opening? Just 20 American tourists to arrive in Phuket on July 9

webfact

16 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

I'm an American in the US now and have a ticket to arrive in Phuket July 3 on Qatar (which is fully changeable if needed). There is no way that Thai officialdom knows when and if this American is arriving since I haven't/can't apply for a COE. I really wish they wouldn't make up numbers out of the air. 

I assume you don't have any official Vaccine certification?

4 hours ago, ricardofel said:

As you can see the planes are loaded with tourists! Austrian Airlines 777 with 10 passengers in economy! Get ready Phuket!!!!!

IMG_0240.jpeg

Was like this when we flew back last year from the UK,  the night they started the lockdown

Great service from staff, and plenty of room to sleep

5 minutes ago, KhunMorris said:

I assume you don't have any official Vaccine certification?

I had both doses of the Pfizer vaccination in the US (over 14 days ago) and have the standard CDC card issued to all vaccinated people in the US. I assume the Royal Thai embassy in the US would be familiar with it when the COE rules are finally promulgated. 

5 hours ago, KhunMorris said:

Not wanted by general population 

Sincerely 

MORRIS

Well, I think we need to discuss this, I mean: do not fall into the trap of certain polls that are almost all piloted. I have been going to Thailand for 30 years and I also lived there for 12 years, Well: I have never been a victim of discrimination or racism, but on the contrary I have always met many friends ad good people.  The aversion comes from the authorities and perhaps they are not completely wrong, because we do not always behave well, unfortunately some foreigners are lack of education and respect. And as always happens due to the fault of few, we all pay

Edited by fleccer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Freigeist365 said:

Only 20? No way!!!!! There must be ways to "lure in"more of those pesky foreigners who have not travel on their mind but to simply steal Thai jobs and buy up all the land that's on sale with their billions that fell off trees with the hideous intention to stay here for the rest of their life to spend all that money here, yes, but be hated for not simply throwing it onto the airport tarmac and p#ss off back home again... Maybe another "Thailand, hub of..." idea? Or maybe some additional restrictions or "no-fun allowed" laws, maybe an extension of the never-ending alcohol bans, and pumping up the 14 day quarantine to 21 or even 30 days? THAT certainly will attract more of those smelly non-Thais who never shower. Perhaps introducing special holidays for amateur musicians, slogan: "Get arrested during your holiday for jamming at one of our local pubs, but you'll never know exactly where and when..." or "Help a local restaurant owner moving some tables out of the rain and get arrested for just that..." what fun!!!.. anything really that would spice up an otherwise dull holiday... Or get scammed and threatened by a local waterscooter beach bum, or get machete hunted through Bangkok by a crazed crack head taxi driver... Get trampled by elephants... Never come back boat trips near Phuket after storm warnings have been issued... I don't know... but there must be numerous ways to "lure" in more of those Farangs. Come on guys, brainstorm a little, let's go! 

Florida checked half those boxes, maybe that's why we're flush with tourists now, we're the Thailand of America????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Wow !

Phuket seems to be bottom of the heap for Tourists.

You would think with all the C##p then Americans have been through with this awful Covid, they would be busting to get away to the Sun for a few weeks.

Maybe they are getting away, just not to Phuket. 

A lot nicer sunnier places close to home.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

For unvaccinated, forget it.

Forget it? Ok we'll see 

Don't want shots? Stay home! There have been internationally required vaccinations for years and this will be another. 

You stay home not me

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They are talking about tourists from the USA, but checking yesterday the only flights  from Los Angeles to Phuket look around 35 hours travel time, not much fun to have to travel the long way around to get there or wait 11 hours in an airport for a connector with a family of 4. Not much fun at all, still the prices look dirt cheap at the moment!! ????

10 minutes ago, nattaya09 said:

Has such a thing been defined

Yes, thats if you want to go through and believe the last 4 to 5 weeks of BS that the Phuket mafia has been stating...........

12 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Wow !

You would think with all the C##p then Americans have been through with this awful Covid, they would be busting to get away to the Sun for a few weeks.

June=sunny in America

17 hours ago, smedly said:

I suspect the 20 from USA are not tourists at all but expats who have been vaccinated and have been waiting for an easy way to return to their homes in Thailand - no real surprise is it

No mention on how long you have to stay on the island before allowed to travel to the mainland.  Id rather stay in Phuket a week then go up north than 2 weeks in isolation.  Im in my 2 nd quarantine go around. Aint pretty 

4 hours ago, nattaya09 said:

Require full vaccination and drop the insurance, COE, 7 day island "quarantine" and COVID tests and it would be workable.  I doubt their next great outbreak will come from vaccinated Westerners.

I can do the vaccinated part ..done. 7 days chilling on the island and a covid test . But the COE and nonsense paper work has to be dropped. Period 

Edited by Bkktodd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkktodd said:

I can do the vaccinated part ..done. 7 days chilling on the island and a covid test . But the COE and nonsense paper work has to be dropped. Period 

I dont think some form of COE is going away anytime soon. Insurance will be permanent so will preflight testing and post flight procedures for years to come. 

1 hour ago, Bkktodd said:

Americans are waiting for EU to be opening. If sun is what they want the Caribbean is packed now.  To go Thailand is still the bs paperwork and added expenses that puts people off now

Exactly. Hawaii more. No covid problems there they have months of data to show just with preflight rapid antigen testing cases did not rise. Thailand where comparatively few Americans visit is just too far away for a 1+2+4 Q.   or any other dog and pony show and during rainy season? 

Just a curious question about the Caribbean. Just how many places have a guest house room for 25 dollars US per night?

Even in Mexico, how many places in the tourist zones have rooms for 25 dollars US per night?  In the Caribbean, can you 

eat 3 meals a day for 30 to 40 dollars US?  I am just trying to get a comparison.  How about in Europe, is it only in Greece where I can stay

and eat fairly cheap?  Just wondering. I only plan to fly to Bangkok and stay mainly at Hua Hin and over at Jomtien beach Pattaya, but

may take a one week trip to Phuket for old times sake.  I have fond memories of Kata Beach.

Geezer

16 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Wow !

Americans are economically stressed because of Covid, not likely they can afford vacations, especially risky ones where the rules and costs are unclear. I think most Americans will happily settle for modest but enjoyable vacations in the US. I have a retirement visa and residence in Bangkok, were that not the case I would not be planning to come back until everything is well settled. That said, I won't be back until October with vaccine certificate in hand, and only if no quarantine. I don't have $1000/30,000 baht to pi$$ away

3 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

No mention on how long you have to stay on the island before allowed to travel to the mainland.  Id rather stay in Phuket a week then go up north than 2 weeks in isolation.  Im in my 2 nd quarantine go around. Aint pretty 

As far as I know it's 7 days.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1218633-phuket-sandbox-starts-on-july-1-tat/

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, the difficult part of this equation is factoring in the desire of a tourist to visit a destination that has been decimated by this insane shutdown. Who comes first? Tourists or business owners? Will the people who have been wiped out by this return? No. Will new people take their place? Will Chinese investors swoop in and turn Thailand into Cambodia #2? So many unanswered questions. 

So, let's make some predictions. Of international tourists.

Balance of 2021.

Phuket - 5,200

Samui- 4,100

Thailand total- 17,600

Phuket - 45,000

Samui- 38,000

Thailand total- 1,100,000

Phuket - 320,000

Samui- 255,000

Thailand total - 2,300,000

2024? Possibly as many as 3,000,000 tourists. 

I think from 2025 forward, 4 to 10 million a year. I doubt Thailand will see more than 15 million tourists a year, within our lifetimes. The "TAT glory years" are a thing of the past. 

Too many problems already existed prior to Covid. And none were addresses. Zippo. Nada. Nunca. Zero. 

Some current Samui images:

20210519_205816.jpg

20210519_205309.jpg

20210518_201733.jpg

me too

• Haha 1