Is Beerlao the best Beer in South East Asia?

WineOh

Just now, BenDeCosta said:

Obviously you have never tasted any of these beers, because if you had, you wouldn't have posted that. Timothy Taylor's Landlord costs £1.75 a bottle, nothing pretentious at all, just good quality, proper beer that doesn't taste of chemicals.

With names like that we don't have to taste it. Who by the way is Timothy Taylor's landlord.

Have you looked at the rest of the beer names from Timothy Taylor? Go ahead fill you boots ???? 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

With names like that we don't have to taste it. Who by the way is Timothy Taylor's landlord.

Have you looked at the rest of the beer names from Timothy Taylor? Go ahead fill you boots ???? 

You decide that a beer is not good because of it's name, rather than actually tasting it?

I guess you never experienced the delights of Wimpy's "big bender in a bun" either.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do rate beer by how it tastes - to me! I usually simply say I'll have a pint of that pointing to the pump rather that enquiring about the name. If I'm in or near the bar for long enough I will settle for the one I prefer.

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I do rate beer by how it tastes - to me! I usually simply say I'll have a pint of that pointing to the pump rather that enquiring about the name. If I'm in or near the bar for long enough I will settle for the one I prefer.

So you go to a bar, point at the beer that you want, and stick to the one you like? That is so progressive and way-out there, I don't think anyone else does that.

But when you do sample a particularly good beer, you don't remember the name? When you have a good meal in a restaurant, do you remember what you ate, or do you just point at what you want on the menu because you're not interested in the name of the dish, and then forget what you ate immediately after leaving the restaurant?

Edited by BenDeCosta

5 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

But when you do sample a particularly good beer, you don't remember the name?

Very often not, as I am unlikely to be in the same establishment again. 

In Vietnam I prefer Saigon red or the green but if i visit Vietnam again I will have to order one of each to remember which.

I prefer pilsner to lager and will sometimes order something I've never heard of say on a flight. But will rarely remember any names.

If I happen (sic) to be in Keithley I wouldn't order a beer from Burton. But as for names. Nah.  

6 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

When you have a good meal in a restaurant, do you remember what you ate,

Usually not. I order what I fancy at the time and then dismiss it.  Of course if I eat enough in the same establishment I will avoid what I didn't like. I'm one of those people who simply eats to stay alive.

• Haha 1

Answering the OP....Well No. But then again you stated best beer in SEAsia and there are lots of way better beers, they are just imported. I personally do not drink Thai beers as they taste awful in general and the fact people enjoy it with ice tells me its better when watered down. Of course tastes are personal choice and preference.

I have heard the San Miguel Wheat beer is pretty good as well as the Tsingtao Wheat beer. 

Was cost a factor in the overall decision?

Cheers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Personally, the best beer I have tasted was some craft beers in Hanoi.

There are some very tasty beers to be had in Saigon as well.

The Pasteur Street Brewing Company produces, amongst others, Viet Wit, a flavorsome wheat beer coming in at 4% ABV.

Jasmine IPA, my favorite, slipping down nicely at 6.5%.

Burnin' Down The House Double IPA, roasting in at 8.7%.

And...Cyclo Imperial Chocolate Stout, striding in and staggering out with 13% ABV.

Also a shout out for Rooster Beers' Dark beer, 5% and their Blonde, Pale and IPA beers at 5, 6 and 6.5% respectively.

These are amongst my favorite beers in SE Asia, and if things ever stop being abnormal, I will go over and enjoy supping some.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

all beers for which the label design cost more than the beer itself? Pretentious tipple.

Timothy Taylor's Landlord pretentious.?

Never heard such nonsense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rott said:

Timothy Taylor's Landlord pretentious.?

Never heard such nonsense. 

Last time I went to the UK I brought back a few bottles of Timothy Taylor's Landlord - you should have seen the faces of my wife's family when they tasted it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

Even in Egypt, Lebanon, Malaysia and Bangladesh, I have had beers that blow Thai beers out of the water.

Thai beer sucks.

I remember when I first arrived here the first ever beer I had in country was a Tiger beer.

I thought hmm this is quite good.

Then I looked at the back of the bottle and it said 'product of Singapore.'

A similar thing happened when I was in India.

Having had cobra beers for many years with my friday night curries back in the UK, i was expecting to be swimming in cobra the minute I got off the plane in Delhi.

Turns out the only beer I had the whole time I was there was Kingfisher.

Cobra was nowhere in sight. 

Edited by WineOh

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

If I pay in a bar less than 100B for a beer, including Beer Lao, then I don't consider that to be a problem.

Last year when I was in Bangkok, I was in a bar where Thai beers were 100 baht per pint, and Beer Laos was 160 baht for a small bottle. If you're a heavy drinker, there will be a big difference in the bill.

Just now, Kwasaki said:

So have I,  a couple of Beer classic large bottles before a bottle of Jacob's Creek with a pizza this evening. 

sounds nice mate!

Enjoy ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Last time I went to the UK I brought back a few bottles of Timothy Taylor's Landlord - you should have seen the faces of my wife's family when they tasted it.

I have only ever had it on draught in London. Nice pint, if anything it is a bit "over-beery", a bit rich. But just a bit. 

What the hell he thinks is pretentious about traditional London ale I do not understand. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

A Treasurer for Camra(Campaign for Real Ale)  in the UK used to work for me..

Grey beard, sandals, old - computer systems programmer - all boxes ticked ????

He once had me walking around Paris suburbs for an hour to find a particular pub - with hundreds of beers and they all had their own glasses. ( we were working doing some consultancy work for Credit L' at the time ). Great bar - but whenever we were on assignment he knew where to go.

He used to carry a card to show how much the head on your beer cost....

He basically only took hols when there was a beer festival on.

He knew about real beer...

And ?