Is Beerlao the best Beer in South East Asia?

WineOh

15 hours ago, rott said:

I have only ever had it on draught in London. Nice pint, if anything it is a bit "over-beery", a bit rich. But just a bit. 

What the hell he thinks is pretentious about traditional London ale I do not understand. 

Timothy Taylor's isn't from London, best London beer is Fullers. (Used to be Youngs but they sold out)

• Like 1

Of the Thai beers(sic) Singha is my choice but yes, Beer Lao Dark is the best SEA beer I've tasted by a huge margin. I must try the IPA version.

Leo is appalling, just dirty water in my opinion. Chang if limited on choice, is it my imagination or has the classic recipe changed in recent years for the worse?

On the tax front, when will other countries start retaliation taxes on Thailand, how does Thailand get away with its policy...

I have Beer Lao Damh most nights -reminds me of bitter in England, or heavy in Scotland. A bottle in  a bar costs 10,000 Kip (about 34 Baht). It's Thursday so another beer night. Oh, yes I agree the best beer I have had in Southeast Asia over the previous 30 years.

• Like 2

Beer Lao have brought out a ‘Limited Edition’ IPA which I think is really good - close your eyes, and you’re drinking in a UK pub...

Morlands Speckled Hen is available in FFF shops in Phuket - 130 baht for the 320ml can - and they get Abbott’s occasionally as well. 

Beer Lao of course have a range of around six beers apart from the India Pale Ale - ‘blonde’ is quite flavoursome.

27 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

Timothy Taylor's isn't from London, best London beer is Fullers. (Used to be Youngs but they sold out)

Well firk me, never knew it was from Yorks, only ever seen it in London. 

But you are right about Fullers, I like their IPA got a lot more flavour than most. But it is 5%, the aversge seems to be 3.5.to 4.0. Or used to be, it's a while now since I've been back. 

1 hour ago, school12 said:

Beer Lao is good, including the different types they have brought out recently.  I've also started to enjoy Kopper Beer, available at Makro.  Need to get it out of the can and into a proper glass.

kopper.jpg

I've seen that on the shelf before but never put one in my basket.

Cheers for the recommendation mate, next time I will! ???? 

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I found and tried a BeerLao wheat beer when in Laos, and didn't like it at all. A big surprise. Tiger do a decent wheat beer which I found in a convenience store in KL airport, but I've not seen it in Thailand for some reason. Siam Weizen isn't too bad, as Thai beers go.

I have not tried either. Just heard from a few they are descent. I have seen Siam Weizen, never tried it. I typically stick with imported German Weissbier's or Hoegaarden.  I also enjoy a few various imported IPA's from the US. 

I might have to give BeerLao a go. 

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

Relaxing this lunchtime by the Kham river, at Utopia Bar in Luang Prabang (north Laos), I have to say that Beer Lao is the best ????

beerlao.thumb.jpg.75bf065f67792cb5880507c058ca9a00.jpg

you lucky man! ???? 

Enjoy mate.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Best beers in the world come from Belgium and we are fortunate in having some of them at Aroi Restaurant on the dark side.  Draft hoegaarden a light wheat beer goes well with  most foods. 

Years ago in 'another life', I was a 'rocket scientist' at Alcatel Space in Antwerp.  Every evening, I and my colleagues would visit one of the many vaulted cellar bars in the city and get plastered on the many, oh-so-beautiful Belgian beers.

I seem to recall that the satellite that we designed and built fell out of the sky rather prematurely after launch....????

• Haha 2

I drink Cheers 6% or Tiger.   Beer lao dark "was" great until they changed the label and reduced its alcohol content, changing its taste back in September 2020.  

Peace

beer lao.jpg

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Years ago in 'another life', I was a 'rocket scientist' at Alcatel Space in Antwerp.  Every evening, I and my colleagues would visit one of the many vaulted cellar bars in the city and get plastered on the many, oh-so-beautiful Belgian beers.

I seem to recall that the satellite that we designed and built fell out of the sky rather prematurely after launch....????

Too many ' Delirium Tremens ' or Kwak. 5555555

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

With due respect, no, but it and BeerLao Dark are much more palatable and drinkable than most of the Thai ".........."!!

When I retired to Lanna in Thailand 20 years ago, draught beer Chang was my favorite and so different in taste from today's Chang (not to be confused with the current "towers"). It was very popular but throughout the years it was gradually replaced by bottled and canned Chang with the "pint pots" disappearing. 

I now live in Cambodia and my 3 favorites are Cambodia Beer, Angkor Beer (not to be confused with the more recent Anchor Beer) and ABC Stout (black beer similar to Guinness). A large glass of chilled draught Angkor or Cambodia Beer on a hot and humid day is so refreshing. For reference, a small glass of draught beer is 50 US cents - around 16 baht!!

178 Angkor Beer Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos from Dreamstime

On my travels in Burma (Myanmar) during the pro-democracy era, I drank and liked Myanmar Beer (pale ale), Mandalay Strong Ale and Myanmar Black Shield Stout (another black beer). 

I remember swilling this on my hotel balcony in Phnom Penh a while back.

And from my recollection it was OK.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Used to drink the Singha beer then they changed to the 500mil  bottles but same price

Changed to Chang Classic  620mil  tastes ???? great when chilled

The only thing that Chang had going for it in the old days was that it was 6-7%, but now it's 5% I never drink it, even when offered for free at parties etc.

Lately I have been buying Tapper at Makro. It's made by ThaiBev, the Chang people. 6.5% alcohol in a 500ml can. One per evening is just right. Taste, yeah, much like an American lager. Reminds me of Busch Bavarian, which my dad enjoyed during Cardinals games on a Sunday afternoon. 

Edited by LawrenceN
info added
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Lately I have been buying Tapper at Makro. It's made by ThaiBev, the Chang people. 6.5% alcohol in a 500ml can. One per evening is just right. 

One per evening? Tapper is half-decent and notably nicer than the usual Thai staples, but not as good as a Beer Lao.