Is Beerlao the best Beer in South East Asia?

WineOh

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

Answering the OP....Well No. But then again you stated best beer in SEAsia and there are lots of way better beers, they are just imported. I personally do not drink Thai beers as they taste awful in general and the fact people enjoy it with ice tells me its better when watered down. Of course tastes are personal choice and preference.

I have heard the San Miguel Wheat beer is pretty good as well as the Tsingtao Wheat beer. 

Was cost a factor in the overall decision?

Cheers

If I am down Makro way I buy Tsingtao beer , I like the smell of hops on opening a bottle , far better than the smell of a klong on opening Thai Lager.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, WineOh said:

Chang classic is horrendous.

Like drinking drain cleaner.

But chang cold brew is decent IMO.

I don't drink a lot of beer and to be honest it's a bit like smoking (which I don't do) in that it's the beginning that's best, the lighting up and that first drag. With beer it's that first mouthful that's best and that is not that different from water. I drink Bearlao when in Lao but I wasn't aware it was available in Thailand.

As for the similarity between certain Thai beers and drain cleaner or elephant <deleted> I'll have to leave that to people who have a broader range of experience than myself. Was this revelation found during a quest for new experiences or just desperation from a lack of alcohol for a few hours?

I remember seeing a review of a business class flight on YouTube on a dry airline. There was a comment from a young American guy who was taking his dad on a flight he was reviewing but didn't know the airline was dry. He was horrified and said "We're from Kentucky so we had to rush to find a couple of beers which we had to drink quickly but only just made our flight."

In the spring when pubs in the UK were allowed to open last year there was a woman who was interviewed on tv who said "it's nice to be able to get outside." Clearly she was unaware or unable to go outside without the aid of alcohol.

On the subject of water my first trip to Lao was to Pakse in the south and involved a bus trip from the border. It was in the cool season but the aircon was going flat out. People were wearing coats, scarves and hats and stuffing paper in the air outlets. Even the young American in front of me was wrapped up but still cold and he was from Alaska. On the way after dark the police stopped the bus and came on to check on goods that Lao women were bringing back from Thai markets. I think this was a normal thing and they probably knew the women as I saw a couple of them poking a policeman in the ribs as they walked past which he laughed about. According to my wife one of the police was complaining that they had bought Thai bottled water and he wanted to know what was wrong Lao water. When we got to the hotel I drank some Lao bottled water and it was horrible. I've no idea what make it was but apparently a top international brand. That I'd never heard of.

So drink the beer but avoid the water.

• Like 1

Beer Lao is nice, but I don't think it's as great as everyone says it is, more an indication of local standards. The draught goes down very well though, a bit too well maybe. 

Myanmar beer on tap was always nice, and I quite like Asahi.

Beers are a matter of taste, one man's beer is another mans poison. Whichever beer that an individual likes the most is the best beer in Thailand. I hate beer. I used to love it but went off the taste of all beers as I grew older, now whisky's my tipple. Even then people comment when they see me drink it with a mixer, but it suits my present taste. My reply to them is "My money, I'll drink it how I want. You buy my whisky all night and I'll drink it whichever way you want".

I'm very fond of "Myanmar" Beer. Lovely crisp German style lager.

As far as I know, Thailand is the only country in the region where the large breweries don't know how to make beer. Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam, even Malaysia and Indonesia all can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, bobonzo said:

Free Beer will always be the Best Beer

A friend gave me a box of Leo he had on his back porch, he does not drink and it was left over from a party he says.

Never one to say no to free beer I took them home and put them in the fridge.

Cracked one open the next day and near vomited from the first mouthful.

Turn out the party was 8 months earlier and the box sat there since copping the afternoon sun every day.

It had gone rancid.

Not all free beer is the best beer.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

I'd love to see Thai people's responses when tasting beers such as Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Timothy Taylor's Landlord, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or a Westmalle Trappist Triple.

Especially the KBS and the Triple are an acquired taste.  Same with big hoppy IPAs that are all the rage on the American craft beer scene.  They might be popular with beer connoisseurs but they don't taste the way most people expect beer to taste.

I'd agree that Beerlao (especially the IPA) is the best mass-market bottled beer in SEA. I also quite like Cambodia's lagers - Anchor etc. The best  locally-produced beer I've drunk in SEA would be the weissbier at Hops brewhouse in Pattaya. 

1 hour ago, bronzedude said:

7-11 has beer Lao. As I recall between 55 to 60 baht a bottle.

very few 7/11 have it these days, it's been 49 baht in our local Tops for months, not short dated, but the same in cans is still 66 baht. It's 66 baht in Foodlanad. I am on the Sam Miguel wheat beer that's pretty good. 

One, just one, of my local 7-11s is now selling BeerLao IPA, which is as close to a UK-style beer as you'll ever find in Asia. Costs 65 baht. One problem is that it says it is a limited edition so it might not be around for long. Another is that the store often sells out. They tell you it's very popular but when my wife asks why they don't then order more so it remains in stock she gets a blank look.

As an alternative I quite like Leo 8, which is very similar to Tapper. But yes, the choice is limited. Can you imagine ever going into a pub in the UK, any and every pub, and all they'll have on tap are the same four or five beers. 

Well, well, I have been here in Thailand for 18 years and I think never had Beer Lao. I have been looking quickly and hardly noticed Lao from Leo. Its the age thing you know.

The consensus on this thread tends towards Beer Lao being the best, though I agree the competition is not serious. Recently I have been drinking Leo strong brew that I really think is an improvement on the other three Thai 'beers'.

So if you will excuse me, I am on my way to do a little beer shopping in the form some Beer Lao.

Thank you for the input here

Edited by ChrisKC
typo
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, JAFO said:

I have heard the San Miguel Wheat beer is pretty good as well as the Tsingtao Wheat beer. 

I found and tried a BeerLao wheat beer when in Laos, and didn't like it at all. A big surprise. Tiger do a decent wheat beer which I found in a convenience store in KL airport, but I've not seen it in Thailand for some reason. Siam Weizen isn't too bad, as Thai beers go.

Ah I remember beer Lao it was my beer of choice when I lived in Cambodia.

However where I live now in Thailand I have a choice of two only (Chang and Leo). There are about 10 mom and pop shops and none will even stock Singha which is more palatable to me.

Even if I drive an hour to the nearest 7/11 I can only get the same two plus Singha..

Even if I drive 3 hours to nearest Makro or BigC the same choice of 3 beers.

If I want a San Miguel or another popular beer I have to go to one of the bars on the small tourist street.

Now I want a Beer Lao, thanks!

Edited by Saltire

Beer Lao is good, including the different types they have brought out recently.  I've also started to enjoy Kopper Beer, available at Makro.  Need to get it out of the can and into a proper glass.

kopper.jpg

Edited by school12

Tsingtao comes closest to my taste of a good beer.

However, Beerlao and Asahi are not bad.

Federbräu used to be good at the beginning until they changed the recipe and now it tastes sweet like any other Thai beer.