SURVEY: Koh Tao -- Cursed Island or the real 'unseen' Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: Koh Tao -- Cursed Island or the real 'unseen' Thailand?  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are certain places that have a bad influence on people already predisposed to crime this is my impression, whatever the cause can be many killed ghosts screaming for revenge, and this island is full.

And madness I'm going to believe in ghosts now.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

There have been a lot of criminal and civil actions against people who cause tarnish to Thailand's reputation and marketability as a safe tourist resort. "Truth" is not a defense for criminal defamation laws in Thailand. The OP may want to be very careful about publishing the results of this survey.

• Confused 3

It’s the effect from those with too much power or influence in a place due to their status or family , then becoming suddenly crazy rich from new money from business or land rents or sales .

See it in a lot of areas and the locals say oh you can’t say this or that about certain people and some will tell you to shut up the moment you mention one in a simple question . 
But the people will have the money but they can’t buy the class and still behave like average bloke in the street or worse when drunk or look at everyone as if they should be respecting them .

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

I would never go near there or feed them with my Money but all farang businesses  do  not disclose this seedy side of Death Island 

It's a calm peaceful  place much loved by the thousands of visitors  who go there on repeat visits. Much safer than many western cities

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

It’s the effect from those with too much power or influence in a place due to their status or family , then becoming suddenly crazy rich from new money from business or land rents or sales .

See it in a lot of areas and the locals say oh you can’t say this or that about certain people and some will tell you to shut up the moment you mention one in a simple question . 
But the people will have the money but they can’t buy the class and still behave like average bloke in the street or worse when drunk or look at everyone as if they should be respecting them .

You are describing South London!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Koh Tao is run by a mafia style family.  If you run afoul of them beware.

Same as anywhere really..most people commenting seem a bit hysterical,  have never been there or I suspect not been to Thailand.  The island is a popular  destination  with many repeat visitors famous for its relaxed, laid back atmosphere.  It's a hippy peace and love kinda place where the snowflakes, vegans, hemp clothing crowd go

• Like 2

The couple's son is now super rich! Son made sure he had a good alibi and was nowhere near the event.

Of course, the cameras weren't working at the scene of the crime. Report says the cameras hadn't been serviced for a month. If quality cameras are installed properly, they don't have to be serviced for the life of the camera, usually 5+ years. Maybe the son did his homework and recommended the hotel/resort with the help of local agent who performed the crime. 

I hope the police do a through investigation to see if anybody did any inquires about the pool cameras, if any non-guests entered/exited the hotel; autopsies of the deceased to determine if there were any drugs in their bodies, etc. etc. Two big strong guys could certainly hold down a person under water until they drown, with no signs of a struggle.

• Sad 2

How about the option: I don't know.

It's almost funny when lots of people speculate with little to no knowledge.

How many of the people who have a fixed opinion here visited the island already?

And of the few who visited the island: how many were there for maybe at least a month and know at least a few locals?

Anybody? 

Next thing people will ask to boycott Pattaya because they heard someone telling a story that a friend of a friend was overcharged. I guess the place is cursed, that explains it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I agree apart for it should be 'if the police catch you', or 'if the police decide the death was a crime'.

Because in a lot of cases it's just defined as death by accident or natural causes.

Only if they don't think that they can make money out of it...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavender19 said:

I have been there many times over the last 20 years. I have not been there since the young British couple were hacked to death. I will never return even thou I only live  a 1.5 hour boat ride away.

Thanks

So what was your personal experience over there? Did you feel in danger or were you aware of people who behave like they are above the law?

(maybe you wrote this already in this thread, I didn't read all comments)