Marriage visa clarifications

3 hours ago, frabar said:

thank you, all

ok, one last time (sorry for being dense).

after marriage, having the 400k in the bank qualifies you for the 90 day visa...then THAT 90 day visa can be extended for 12 months.after the 12 months are up, you show your bank account, if the moneys there(and youre still legitimately married of course),you get another 90 day which can be extended for 12 months and so on and so forth?

im 33 years old tho'...does that affect the ability to get the non O visa? i read somewhere that those are only given to people 50 and up?

These are the documents that Immigration require to apply for the marriage visa one year extension. I'd better point out that this doc. is from Samui immigration so beware, your office may have slightly different requirements. I have attached the Thai version as well so your future wife can help you.

It will take one month for your application to be approved. During this time expect a visit from Immigration officers to check you are actually living there and take more photos. Good luck!

Visa Ext docs needed Eng.pdf Visa Ext docs needed Thai.pdf

27 minutes ago, ohpont said:

The wife is thai.

Then something not quite right.

Does your friend suffer from mental health disorders. Quite a few elderly foreigners do and become easily confused. He may have completely misunderstood what Immigration said, or as I've experienced before the Thai wife translates it wrong.

The financial requirement is 400K THB deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, OR an Embassy Income letter attesting he meets the 40K THB monthly income requirement.

Section 2.18 Police Order 327/2557.

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

Depends how much you want to get involved, but speaking to his Immigration office on his behalf may clear the issue up.

• Like 1

Something is not right sure, like i mentioned before, he was accompanied by is lawyer...

The same since 2007. at 5'000 a year i just find out...

Plus the bank book is still with the lawyer.

I don't think it was an immigration request anymore.

Thank you and best.

15 minutes ago, ohpont said:

Something is not right sure, like i mentioned before, he was accompanied by is lawyer...

The same since 2007. at 5'000 a year i just find out...

Plus the bank book is still with the lawyer.

I don't think it was an immigration request anymore.

Thank you and best.

If the lawyer has had him sign a Power of Attorney (which would be in Thai) then the long shot is to fleece him. They are as corrupt as any government official.

Can't you help him with his annual extension application, or use an agent rather than a lawyer.

Thanks, I am trying to find somebody closer or at least in the same Province,

I am 500km from him and not well versed in Imm matter having had my

Residency last century.

Thank you again.

1 hour ago, ohpont said:

Thanks, I am trying to find somebody closer or at least in the same Province,

I am 500km from him and not well versed in Imm matter having had my

Residency last century.

Thank you again.

Which Province does he live in?

I also require advice to eventually obtaining 1 year marriage extension. Starting from scratch,what visa would give me maximum time to get married, open bank account, then proceed to 1 year extension?

Obtain a tourist visa or non O immigrant from my home country. I am 71 and British citizen living in Ireland and plan this in early next year.

29 minutes ago, LoVeFuN said:

Obtain a tourist visa or non O immigrant from my home country.

The only non-o visa you could get would be based upon retirement. At this time you have to get the 40/400k baht medical insurance to apply for it.

A single entry tourist visa would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. That would be enough time to register your marriage and then apply for 90 day non-o visa visa entry based upon marriage.

Agree with UJ.

A Tourist Visa and 30 day extension would give you 90 days to sort your affidavit out  and register your marriage before applying for the Non O at your local Immigration office.

Were you previously married, divorced or widowed.

7 hours ago, frabar said:

alright, understood...thank you!

im actually not concerned bout the money.i'll keep all my cash in the bank at all times anyway.

is there anything that could go wrong? some complications for whatever reason?

(not doing a marriage of convenience or anything like that, so the legitimacy of it isnt a concern)

i just mean...can there be any hold ups?

i lived in thailand for 3 years and i know first hand how notoriously difficult the thai immigration can be. can they refuse the extension? and if so, what could be some of the reasons?

The only problem that could occur, and I wish you all the best it doesn't happen, would be a divorce.

11 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Agree with UJ.

A Tourist Visa and 30 day extension would give you 90 days to sort your affidavit out  and register your marriage before applying for the Non O at your local Immigration office.

Were you previously married, divorced or widowed.

No never previously married, I understand that I will need an affidavit from UK embassy then have it translated and head to amphoe to get married to start this process.

My biggest concern with current conditions is that with TV I would need return ticket and could have to pay for quarantine in advance.

58 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only non-o visa you could get would be based upon retirement. At this time you have to get the 40/400k baht medical insurance to apply for it.

A single entry tourist visa would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. That would be enough time to register your marriage and then apply for 90 day non-o visa visa entry based upon marriage.

Many thanks for your help  UJ and Tanoshi also...

42 minutes ago, LoVeFuN said:

No never previously married, I understand that I will need an affidavit from UK embassy then have it translated and head to amphoe to get married to start this process.

Not quiet.

Most Amphoe's where you register your marriage will request;

1. Certified copy of your Passport, translated to Thai, then legalised by the Consular section of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

2. Certified affidavit, translated to Thai, then legalised by the Consular section of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

These can both be completed together.

1. Notarial and Documentary Services Guide for Thailand - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Affirmation of Marital Status

2. Marriage in Thailand - Getting married abroad - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

From this page you can download the affidavit and book an appointment.

3. Affirmation of marital status for Thailand - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

From this page you can download the Guidance and Application pack for single (never married before).

42 minutes ago, LoVeFuN said:

My biggest concern with current conditions is that with TV I would need return ticket and could have to pay for quarantine in advance.

Are you confusing a Tourist Visa with a Visa Exempt entry?

No return ticket required with a Tourist Visa.

Most quarantine ASQ hotels require deposit or advance payment.

As with flights, almost all are offering refunds should something go wrong.

Early next year is a long way off, things could change between.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Not quiet.

Most Amphoe's where you register your marriage will request;

1. Certified copy of your Passport, translated to Thai, then legalised by the Consular section of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

2. Certified affidavit, translated to Thai, then legalised by the Consular section of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

These can both be completed together.

1. Notarial and Documentary Services Guide for Thailand - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Affirmation of Marital Status

2. Marriage in Thailand - Getting married abroad - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

From this page you can download the affidavit and book an appointment.

3. Affirmation of marital status for Thailand - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

From this page you can the Guidance and Application pack for single (never married before).

Are you confusing a Tourist Visa with a Visa Exempt entry?

No return ticket required with a Tourist Visa.

Most quarantine ASQ hotels require deposit or advance payment.

As with flights, almost all are offering refunds should something go wrong.

Early next year is a long way off, things could change between.

I understand that I will need an ASQ Hotel booking at present time when entering Thailand . And so only with Visa exempt is a return flight needed and

with the Tourist Visa a single flight would be OK with the airline and Thai immigration. Many thanks again, it now gives me a clear path to follow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoVeFuN said:

I understand that I will need an ASQ Hotel booking at present time when entering Thailand . And so only with Visa exempt is a return flight needed and

with the Tourist Visa a single flight would be OK with the airline and Thai immigration. Many thanks again, it now gives me a clear path to follow.

Post again nearer the time.

I can give you detailed instructions of how and where to go to complete your affidavit, translations and legalisation, with using an agent and avoiding the scams.

You can complete the lot in one day in Bangkok.

The ideal time to do it is when you first arrive and your then already in Bangkok.

I don't know where you'll be staying after arrival and marriage.

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Post again nearer the time.

I can give you detailed instructions of how and where to go to complete your affidavit, translations and legalisation, with using an agent and avoiding the scams.

You can complete the lot in one day in Bangkok.

The ideal time to do it is when you first arrive and your then already in Bangkok.

I don't know where you'll be staying after arrival and marriage.

Yes I will contact you when arriving and starting the affidavit. Would be very happy for your help.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If married to a Thai you can apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa). You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the day you apply or proof of 40k baht.

The 400k baht should stay in the bank until the extension is issued after a 30 day under consideration period when the one year extension stamp is done. After that you can do what you want to with the 400k baht until you top up your account to 400k baht to apply for your next extension.

To apply for the extension of stay you must be on a 90 day entry to the country allowed by a non-o visa.

To apply for Thai nationality you must be on extensions of stay for 3 consecutive years and worked with a work permit and paid for taxes for those 3 years.

Ubonjoe,  this  keeping the 400K in your account is certainly NOT  applicable in numerous Immigration offices ,and as you've quoted many times is not in the police orders..

May be a find recommendation but not a legal requirement. 

12 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Ubonjoe,  this  keeping the 400K in your account is certainly NOT  applicable in numerous Immigration offices ,and as you've quoted many times is not in the police orders..

I wrote it should be kept in the bank for the 30 day under consideration period. I aware that is not any official document but there are many offices and some division headquarters that approve the extension. 

I certainly would not say all of it can be removed the day after you complete the application.

I can recall reports done long ago of a division headquarter contacting a bank to confirm the 400k baht was still in the bank. It was suggested at one time that that you could remove enough to live on during the 30 days.

18 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

No, that's not how it works. You need to work for a Thai company.

I don't think that's correct.  As far as I know, the requirements you describe are correct if you work for a Thai company but the 40k per month can also come from abroad. Perhaps someone can confirm?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LoVeFuN said:

And so only with Visa exempt is a return flight needed and

Note that with visa exempt entry the onward flight ticket does not need to be return ticket. You can purchase cheapest flight to anywhere and chuck it. You can also buy "rent a ticket" . That is explained on various sites. 

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
19 hours ago, frabar said:

is there anything that could go wrong? some complications for whatever reason?

(not doing a marriage of convenience or anything like that, so the legitimacy of it isnt a concern)

i just mean...can there be any hold ups?

As long as you have all the required documents should never to be a problem getting your extension.

UbonJoe - Wondering if there was/is some kind of change to the money in the bank method recently or if it was "just my turn in the barrel". 

I've been on married extensions for years using the monthly income method. This year I was more or less forcibly retired do to covid so, being nearly ready to retire anyway we decided to use the money in the bank method this time. 

My funds were in the bank on 5 March and we applied for my extension on 17 May. We were told that the money had to be in the account for 3 months, not 2. They also openly stated that the "Big Guy" in BKK understands all the difficulties we are experiencing due to the pandemic and would gladly "help us out" for 13,000 baht.

Refusing that, our only other option was a 90-day "Visit the wife" stamp for 1,900 baht while the money seasons for an additional month.

ETA: This was not at the CW office but our local provincial immigration office. I didn't name them here because I'm not sure if I should/could safely

Edited by mrwebb8825

3 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

My funds were in the bank on 5 March and we applied for my extension on 17 May. We were told that the money had to be in the account for 3 months, not 2.

There were wrong. For extension based upon marriage it has been 2 months for at least 14 years.

It is clearly written in the immigration orders. From clause 2.18 of immigration order 327/2557.

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

It seems the office you are dealing with was trying to get you to pay extra to get a your application accepted. 

• Like 1

Can someone please tell me why when obtaining an Extension/Visa my children are brought into the equation? The Extension/Visa is based on marriage and zilch to do with my children. But one has to provide their Birth Certificates and photo's.  Same applies for the 'hand drawn map'. Do they actually use them to locate my abode? I doubt it very much.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

5 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Can someone please tell me why when obtaining an Extension/Visa my children are brought into the equation? The Extension/Visa is based on marriage and zilch to do with my children. But one has to provide their Birth Certificates and photo's.  Same applies for the 'hand drawn map'. Do they actually use them to locate my abode? I doubt it very much.

I think they want the birth certificates as additional proof that you marriage is real. I can recall an office that waived the need for a witness if you had children and provided the birth certificates.

The map has been needed since the the extensions first started long ago as far as I know. That was long before online maps were available. I have been using a copy of the same map for several years now.

Nothing is really proof that the marriage is real. A gay German lived with his boyfriend up the road and to get around the Extension/Visa the German married his gay lovers mother who was a widow. Never a problem as far as I know.

Thanks for the reply UJ.

thanks all, much appreciated.(youre a helpful bunch).

uffa, i wish there was an easier way....how do all those foreign "ladies of the evening" manage to stay in thailand with no problems? ive seen africans darker than charcoal turning tricks down the streets...is it that easy for officials to dish out visas 

as long as the right pole is greases by somebody who "knows somebody"?

is there any "no show" type jobs you can apply for, pay for your own permit,work visa,taxes etc just to stay? 

english speaking consultant or some other "in name only" bs title or something?

getting married in a huff feels like it cheapens it. i'd really like to take my sweet time (ceremony and all) .

between me and you...is there any loophole you can think of?  preferably in a grey area on the edge of legality?

i exhausted all my options. i dont have enough money to invest a 100 grand into thailand (whatever that even means).

i could buy the 5 year elite visa but thats literally all the money i have in the world.(no thank you)

student visa,i considered it but i wouldnt wanna be doing that again. done it for 3 years. been there, done that.

way too young for any retirement options.

and i dont wanna work a full time job in thailand getting payed in peanuts (the whole point is to be in peace and live off of my modestly paying and yet cushy online job where i come and go as i please).

can anybody think of ANYTHING i could look into?point me in a direction to perhaps explore? (im sure theres gotta be SOMETHING).

should i try and befriend and try and charm a lady immigration officer?

(do they have enough pull to just fudge papers on the spot and everybody looks the other way?)

or maybe you got a friend who owns a business and could hire me? i'd cover all the costs and give him cash to "pay me",,,damn, im desperate...

On 6/10/2021 at 11:49 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

Nothing is really proof that the marriage is real. A gay German lived with his boyfriend up the road and to get around the Extension/Visa the German married his gay lovers mother who was a widow. Never a problem as far as I know.

Thanks for the reply UJ.

Yet he WAS legally married... ????