Marriage visa clarifications

hey fellas, hows it goin'?

i got a quick question regarding the marriage visa. ive checked from multiple sources and the language used is a bit vague. so im just trying to cover all bases to make sure there'll be no surprises.

let me check if i understand correctly...(and please correct me if and where im wrong):

if you get married to a thai national woman, you get a 1 year marriage visa which can be extended at the end of that year indefinitely?(meaning as long as you remain married).

with the caveat that you must have at least $12000 in your thai bank account at all times OR have an income that exceeds 40k thb a month. but its either one or the other. not both ,correct?

is that all? anything ive missed or got misinformed about?  

also, regarding naturalization...you can apply for citizenship after 5 years of living in thailand. do they have to be consecutive?

i used to live in thailand for 3 years, but been in europe for the last 2. can i just pick up where i left off and only do 2 more years?

thank you in advance for the help!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I think it's 400000 bahts two months before the visa ...but someone  more qualified than me will answer

but I have a question, too : "  OR have an income that exceeds 40k thb a month. "

how does it work ? we must show that we receive 40000 bahts every  month on our bank book ? or an other document from our home country ? ( for instance pension certificate   or letter  from embassy ) ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

but I have a question, too : "  OR have an income that exceeds 40k thb a month. "

how does it work ? we must show that we receive 40000 bahts every  month on our bank book ? or an other document from our home country ? ( for instance pension certificate   or letter  from embassy ) ? 

No, that's not how it works. You need to work for a Thai company.

You need a company letter, confirming that you work for them. 

Company registration papers.

PND 1 tax papers for the last 3 months

PND 91 Tax paper for the last year (To prove you pay tax)

Photos of you at work.

Plus any other documents that the Immigration officer might ask for.

My advice would be to show the 400,000 baht in the bank (Transfered from outside Thailand) if you  can. It needs to be in your personal Thai bank account for at least 2 months before you make your application.

Edited by jaiyenyen
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, frabar said:

so you have to leave the country, come back in, get the 90 days entry visa first and then apply for another extension?

Nope.

You can get the Non O Visa at Immigration if you have 400,000 in the bank or 40,000 Income.

You can then apply for the 12 month extension 2 months later.

thank you, all

ok, one last time (sorry for being dense).

after marriage, having the 400k in the bank qualifies you for the 90 day visa...then THAT 90 day visa can be extended for 12 months.after the 12 months are up, you show your bank account, if the moneys there(and youre still legitimately married of course),you get another 90 day which can be extended for 12 months and so on and so forth?

im 33 years old tho'...does that affect the ability to get the non O visa? i read somewhere that those are only given to people 50 and up?

10 minutes ago, frabar said:

after marriage, having the 400k in the bank qualifies you for the 90 day visa...then THAT 90 day visa can be extended for 12 months.after the 12 months are up, you show your bank account, if the moneys there(and youre still legitimately married of course),you get another 90 day which can be extended for 12 months and so on and so forth?

If you do not have a non-o visa entry you can apply for a non-o visa at immigration if you entered visa exempt or with a tourist visa. To apply for the visa the 400k baht on needs to be in the bank on the day your apply for the extension.

The during the last 30 days of the 90 day permit to stay from the non-o visa you can apply for the one year extension of stay. At that time the 400k baht will need to be in the bank for 2 months.

im 33 years old tho'...does that affect the ability to get the non O visa? i read somewhere that those are only given to people 50 and up?

There is no minimum age requirement to apply for a extension based upon marriage. The 50 years old is only for extensions based upon retirement.

• Like 2

alright, understood...thank you!

im actually not concerned bout the money.i'll keep all my cash in the bank at all times anyway.

is there anything that could go wrong? some complications for whatever reason?

(not doing a marriage of convenience or anything like that, so the legitimacy of it isnt a concern)

i just mean...can there be any hold ups?

i lived in thailand for 3 years and i know first hand how notoriously difficult the thai immigration can be. can they refuse the extension? and if so, what could be some of the reasons?

4 minutes ago, frabar said:

is there anything that could go wrong? some complications for whatever reason?

(not doing a marriage of convenience or anything like that, so the legitimacy of it isnt a concern)

As long as you have all the required documents should never to be a problem getting your extension.

6 minutes ago, frabar said:

i lived in thailand for 3 years and i know first hand how notoriously difficult the thai immigration can be.

What visa or extension have you used to stay in the country for 3 years?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, frabar said:

The only hold up will be from you not having the requirements to apply. If you front up to immigration without all the requirements, they will send you away to get the requirement. Its not like they take your application then refuse it.

They wont take your application unless its complete. if its complete it will get approved.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, frabar said:

im not married yet. im not in thailand at the moment. i will get married when i get there in a few months 

That's a very optimistic timeframe, you would certainly need to hit the ground running, just getting married can take a couple of weeks of running around, trips to consulate, trips to MFA etc before even starting the visa/extension process.

oh, i didnt mean 2 months after i arrive in thailand. 

i meant, i will be in thailand 2 months from now, and start the process when i arrive .but yeah, i'll definitely have to be quick about it 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, frabar said:

im not married yet. im not in thailand at the moment. i will get married when i get there in a few months 

How do you plan to enter Thailand.

Visa exempt, tourist visa, ...etc?

Thanks.

In that case a Tourist Visa can only be obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate and permits you to stay for 60 days.

The method of entry you referred to is a Visa Exempt entry (no Visa) and permits you to stay for 30 days (currently 45 days allowed due to quarantine).

I don't know your marital status, but you'll need evidence of being in a position to marry in order to complete an affidavit at your Embassy in Thailand, then it has to be translated and legalised before you can register a marriage at an Amphoe.

Until you get married you can't apply for the Non O Visa at a local Immigration office.

Until you get a Non O Visa, you cannot extend your stay based on marriage.

Do you already have a Thai bank account, another possible hurdle to overcome.

dear god, they really wanna make this as difficult as possible...same as always... 

i still have my bank account from when i was in thailand but im not sure if its still active cause havent touched it in 2 years. 

what should i do??? how can i make this happen? 

Sorry for asking but what will be the way to avoid the 2 millions baht blocked deposit on a

new account requested by imm to extend a marriage visa for another year?

The applicant has over 40'000. monthly pension.

Thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, ohpont said:

Sorry for asking but what will be the way to avoid the 2 millions baht blocked deposit on a

new account requested by imm to extend a marriage visa for another year?

The applicant has over 40'000. monthly pension.

Thanks in advance

What blocked 2M baht deposit account?

The requirement to extend your permission of stay based on marriage (a permit, not a Visa) is either 400K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, or 40K per month overseas transfers, unless his Embassy still issue Embassy Income letters.

• Like 2

Well Dear, they are blocked since 3 months already, that was a surprise this year with

no clear explanation given, as he understood, it was that or no permit delivered...

He does'nt speak much English by the way and was accompanied by his

lawyer like every year?

Proof of 40+ verified by the Consul.

TIA

what should i do??? how can i make this happen? 

1. First contact or search your Embassies website in Bangkok on the services and procedures to make an a 'single status' affidavit.

Notarile (esteri.it)

If you were previously married, a divorce or death certificate will be required.

Also good idea to bring your birth certificate.

2. Once you've made your affidavit, it will need to be translated into Thai.

The affidavit and translation will then need 'legalising' by the Consular section of Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Bangkok).

You now have the necessary documents to take to an Amphoe and register your marriage.

3. Once legally married, you can apply for the Non O at your local Immigration office.

Procedure here:  VE-TV to Non O marriage.pdf

You must have at least 15 days permission of stay left to apply.

Requires 400K THB deposited in a Thai bank account on the day of application.

The Non O will permit you to stay for a further 90days.

If you enter Visa exempt, after quarantine and whilst still having 15 days permission of stay left from your entry, your leaving yourself 14 days to complete steps 1, 2, and 3 although you can apply for a 30 day extension in between the steps to grant more time.

4. Within the last 30 days of the 90 granted, you can submit an application for a 1 year extension of permission of stay based on marriage.

The 400K funds must have been in the account for 2 months prior to submitting this application.

That's the basics.

16 minutes ago, ohpont said:

Well Dear, they are blocked since 3 months already, that was a surprise this year with

no clear explanation given, as he understood, it was that or no permit delivered...

Are you saying he has 2 million baht in a Thai bank account and someone has blocked his account?

An Embassy Income letter attesting he has an income of 40K per month is good enough for the extension.

• Like 1

No, sorry, not like that.

As I said Imm asked him for 2 mil blocked in a new account,

otherwise no permit renewal.

He did it 3 months ago and I am just trying to understand why

to try to help the old guy!

1 minute ago, ohpont said:

No, sorry, not like that.

As I said Imm asked him for 2 mil blocked in a new account,

otherwise no permit renewal.

OK, so your saying Immigration told him to deposit 2 million baht in a Fixed Term account for the extension.

Is his wife Thai or a foreigner?