Thailand targets 3 million foreign tourists this year under phased reopening

snoop1130

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

If all I have to do is flash my fully vaccinated card at the airport coming, the plane and immigration, I'll come tomorrow.

Anything else - me and  nobody else will come

That is all you should have to do with the results of a negative test and just wear a mask where appropriate!

• Like 2

129,000 visitors in third quarter, 28,701 arrivals in Jan- April. No tourists mentioned in these numbers. Are airline crews counted as arrivals?. How many Thais returning from overseas in these numbers?

Typical Thai meaningless data!

• Like 2

Interesting calculation.  40M in 2019 spent 1.9 Trillion = B 47,500 per person
20M predicted in 2022 will spend 1.3 Trillion = B 65,000 per person.

Prices are down from 2019 and will take a while to recover.  So, are they expecting tourists to take extra long vacations?

• Like 1

Where will these tourists come from?

Best to expedite vaccine roll out over entire country. Big problem will be border with Burma which country understand has nil vaccines but many enter Thailand as refugees or for work. Don't believe any significant foreign tourism until entry restrictions lifted except for negative PCR test 72 hours prior to arrival.

3 minutes ago, richthai said:

Interesting calculation.  40M in 2019 spent 1.9 Trillion = B 47,500 per person
20M predicted in 2022 will spend 1.3 Trillion = B 65,000 per person.

Prices are down from 2019 and will take a while to recover.  So, are they expecting tourists to take extra long vacations?

Nah, thats just the new prices including the 14 day mandatory stays in an approved hotel factored in per day

• Like 2

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Most of the three million arrivals are expected in the final quarter, with spending estimated at between 240 billion baht to 300 billion baht ($7.7 billion to $9.6 billion), Siripakorn Cheawsamoot, deputy governor of the TAT, told Reuters

Here we go... get ready for the constant drivel.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, madmen said:

Phuket will be pushed back to October and October pushed back to January and January pushed back to...... 

The nation of perpetual pushbacks, targets and projections.

59 minutes ago, actonion said:

Surely one day the locals will see through this "false hope" they keep being given

They love it mate.

False hope is all these people have.

I'm surprised the witch doctor isn't a big thing over here like it is in some third world countries. 

"Thailand had just 28,701 arrivals in January-April."

I was one these arrivals in mid February and I am a returning long term visa holder.  So I do not count in terms of tourism or even a new arrival.  Sometimes aggregate numbers can be misleading.  Of course this never happens in LOS???

Chinese tourists coming into Chiang Mai, by the tens of thousands(pre-Covid) prepaid in China for their entire trip.  They spent next to nothing while in Thailand. I guess we call them “penny tourists.”

There is no reason to expect any difference when Chiang Mai opens up again to the invading hordes.  Meanwhile, tourist based businesses remain closed, food lines remain long at the giveaway points in the city, and hope remains dim for the future.

could it GET any worse?

Edited by Tracyb
  • Like 1