Thailand targets 3 million foreign tourists this year under phased reopening

snoop1130

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Most of the three million arrivals are expected in the final quarter

So, 30,000 arrivals daily? Hmm. Good luck with that. Not enough aircraft/flights available. You can't just wave a wand and add 100+ daily flights.

• Like 1

I was going to post a question asking if anyone had any ideas about types of visas and other rules that would be in effect for the Phuket opening ... but then I found this:

This for one means that the procedure of having to apply for a Certificate of Entry (with the existing requirements such as $100,000 insurance cover) through the local Thai Embassy / Consulate is still going on even under the Sandbox model. It can take quite some time to receive this certificate so any short term travel to Thailand is officially out of the question.

International tourists who wish to visit Phuket will however need to fulfill a long list of requirements, including having proof of being fully vaccinated against Covid-19. They will also need a Certificate of Entry from their nearest Thai embassy, and will be required to take a number of Covid-19 tests while on the island.

Oh boy.

Edited by chaihot
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, greeneking said:

If there was just one government department that should be held accountable for its work, it should be this one. And the inevitable embarrassment and resignations should start a wave of concern through all the others.

No, no it's all a misunderstanding and a couple of wais will suffice as usual or an inactive post 

but then they've been inactive since March 2020, so perhaps not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kimamey said:
13 hours ago, madmen said:

This from a travel agent on the sandbox face book page. 

1623215353092.jpg

Expand  

That makes sense. The date of opening hasn't changed but the date of the first visitors is the 9th.

I assume that's the Americans we've heard about unless they changed their minds after the Thais changed theirs.

It appears that the travel agent being quoted has confused the July 1 sandbox opening date with this report about 20 US tourists arriving on July 9th. Of course everything about the sandbox is unofficial and mostly conjecture until the rules are published in the Gazette. However, I would be disinclined to believe that the opening date has been delayed because a travel agent posted it as fact in social media. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dlclark97 said:

Many Thais are being vaccinated with the Sinovac vaccine that reportedly is just over 50% effective for COVID 18 and far less effective for some of the new variants.  If 70% of the population is vaccinated with this vaccine that is just over 50% effective you might conclude this amounts to just over 35% of the population being fully vaccinated.  Why would any tourist come under these conditions?  When the whole population is vaccinated with the several more effective vaccines then maybe the tourists will begin to arrive but not anywhere in the numbers of recent past years.  Get rid of the ridiculous 40,000/400,000 nearly useless insurance requirement for some and raise that new arrival fee from 300 baht to 500 baht to cover the expenses of those sick or injured here who are unable or unwilling to pay their bills.  For expats in country add that fee to their annual extensions the same as those arriving.  Announced forecast of the income expected from this new fee would cover all unpaid medical expenses and still allow for the stated maintenance for tourist and other destinations.   

I agree with majority of what is being said, not defending the Sino I wouldn't take it unless necessary since the information isn't very transparent but what has been put out there from testing by other countries like Brazil?  the vaccine is near the 70% range if not higher in the beginning but tested against other variants it was reported % 50-60% but all reports show if infected you won't die from serious complication from the virus. Also reported recently in one country those vaccinated with the Sino over 6 months ago had little or no immunity in their blood thus stop using Sino and order Pfizer?

Believe it or not?????

15 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

The only 'Target' they should be setting is getting the Population Vaccinated !

Methinks the only target they should set is a Baht competitive with similar countries.

Surely there is not 3 million Mental tourists that are going to come and be forced to do 14 days quarantine in Phuket or anywhere else at a cost they cannot control even if they have had 2 jabs?? Come on now this is getting silly

This sounds like my bipolar stepson, who at times (when not properly medicated) thinks he will be extremely rich and begged to spread his wisdom abroad, once he gets his Thai University Degree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I believe any Thai establishment having a board people can play darts on, is required to have license to do so.  I hope TAT have a license for the dart board they use for target practice.  Makes me wonder whether there's a daily prize for the member of staff who gets nearest the bull "s##t' !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richthai said:

Interesting calculation.  40M in 2019 spent 1.9 Trillion = B 47,500 per person
20M predicted in 2022 will spend 1.3 Trillion = B 65,000 per person.

Prices are down from 2019 and will take a while to recover.  So, are they expecting tourists to take extra long vacations?

No. Just expecting Tourists to be more gullible than they were before the Pandemic.

TAT have read about people around the World with pent up needs to go Travel, and they have accrued money to burn during the shutdowns they had to endure.

Therefore Thailand wants that Money.

The reality is however, that many people have been restricted travel to Thailand because of Quarantines, Tests Etc placed upon them by their Governments when they return.

This makes any Vacation very expensive, and there is a whole load more time to take from work ( if you are able ) for Quarantines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The only way they could reach 3 million is if they remove any quarantine and then they may have a chance. A big may.

But the UK can expect 11 million visitors with their quarantine arrangements.

• Confused 1