SURVEY: Is it time to let foreigners own land?

Scott

SURVEY: Is it time to let foreigners own land?  

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

They could probably learn from Australia's mistakes.

Country by country, the UK is the biggest foreign investor in Australian farmland, owning 10.2 million hectares, followed by China with 9.2 million and then, each owning two or more million hectares, the US, the Netherlands, the Bahamas and Canada.May 27, 2563 BE

China holds the biggest interests registered, closely followed by the US, and then the UK and Canada. All up, the proportion of total water entitlement on issue in the Murray-Darling Basin with a level of foreign ownership is 9.4%.

Why shouldn't us from Blighty own most of Oz? 

It was always OUR island after all lol   (irony alert)

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I agree.....some half way house (pun?) is needed allowing limited rights.........price inflation could easily destroy the locals opportunity live in their own country.....look at London....and what is happening now in Cornwall....albeit Brits buying in their own country...it illustrates the distortions that can take place.

Is happening in Cornwall? Already happened many years ago...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misty said:

Not to mention Cambodia

Cambodia is not a border country to China. Thailand is considered a border country even though it doesn't directly border but is very close to the border.

21 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

I'm suggesting that single people who aren't married to Thais who have lived and worked in Thailand for 10 years should have the right to the privilege of owning land and having equal rights as a local. It's just a suggestion. A person married to a Thai who has been living in Thailand for five years should also get those same rights/privileges.

Both are eligible to start the residency process.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

family and feel secure,

it's the rich that own most of the big areas of land here, they don't want

competition , putting fear in the population that Farangs will buy up all

the land

The solution to an existing problem.. is to make it worse? Foreigners buying up land is a rational concern, and foregone conclusion if the laws are too permissive. 

• Like 1

Given that a large proportion of the Thai/Khmer/Lao/Malay population of this country doesn't own and cannot own (for both legal & financial reasons) the land on which they and their family have been living & working, perhaps for 50 or more years (over 50 in the case of my family), it seems both unrealistic & unreasonable to open up the country to foreign ownership.

Perhaps in another 50 years, Thais may be able to compete on equal terms with foreigners living here, but not till then I think.

20 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

The solution to an existing problem.. is to make it worse? Foreigners buying up land is a rational concern, and foregone conclusion if the laws are too permissive. 

Rubbish.

Boi companies can own land anyway, so not an issue for a company to buy land for commercial purposes anyway...as if that <deleted> ever stopped the Chinese to invest here lol they have a whole zone called ECC for their factories...

It should be totally allowed for Normal foreigners to own a piece of land for residential purposes...

But up to them, if they decide to keep thailand poor instead with their <deleted> restrictions on residential ownerships...

Same applies to thai limited companies... <deleted> stupid to allow only multinationals and not small startups.

• Sad 1

Just now, Ralf001 said:

How do I go about buying a house that is not situated on a parcel of land ?

I guess you can't....the minimum would be the footprint of the house itself.........the problem could be securing the right to access the property, if the surrounding land is someone else's........they could in theory block your access.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

I guess you can't....the minimum would be the footprint of the house itself.........the problem could be securing the right to access the property, if the surrounding land is someone else's........they could in theory block your access.

So what your saying is I cannot own a house in my name, currently.

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

So what your saying is I cannot own a house in my name, currently.

Someone else will know chapter and verse....but MY understanding is you can own the fabric of the building but not the land..........and not owning the land can potentially bring a whole host of problems.

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 1

Just now, Ralf001 said:

lol, so you own <deleted> all then.

Or do you plan to pack up your part of the house and move on once the GF is bored with you ?

Rubbish.

You can own the house and rights to use the land for lifetime.

Look into usufructs and superficies.

This has been discussed in the RE forum at least 1000x times.

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

lol, so you own <deleted> all then.

Or do you plan to pack up your part of the house and move on once the GF is bored with you ?

...and there in lies the problem in a nut shell.......own or part own the house......don't own the land.......massive problem....potentially.

Just now, Jud Canada said:

Hahaha ya something like that. But our house in the south is bigger and nicer and is owned by my company. It keeps her grounded.

Just a line from a TV show many years ago for any wife or gf....555

• Haha 1

Just now, ThomasThBKK said:

Rubbish.

You can own the house and rights to use the land for lifetime.

Look into usufructs and superficies.

This has been discussed in the RE forum at least 1000x times.

lol @ usefructs and superficeries.

If it is not my name on the title deeds Iam not interested.