I will never understand them

Rampant Rabbit

5 minutes ago, DanielS said:

I know some girls in my village working for  SevenEleven. They have 6000 baht per month for full time work 10 hours per day.

1. No wonder they can't be bothered turning up at 6000/month (and possibly move into bar work)

2. No wonder CP are filthy rich.

• Like 1

I stopped trying long time ago, not worth the effort. Back in 2008 came here with the intention of building a factory, stayed a couple weeks to look around and see employed people behavior, working skills, professionalism, laws and so forth, some people I knew that had running business here did warn me about Thai workers reputation of being lazy.... made my mind up after the first week and went somewhere else.

I will never understand them

Edited by Mavideol
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Are these immigrants or real Brits ?

What is a real Brit? Are there no immigrants in Thailand who want to work? Try to not bring ignorantly and covertly racist comment into the conversation. I am sure the OP would be happy to employ any nationality who has the ability to work in Thailand.

So I have no idea why you want to differentiate between "real Thai" and "immigrant". Do you?

7 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

So  if  anyone knows a  couple  not  older than 40 wanting to work

Why the age discrimination.  You hamstring your own efforts.  Older workers are some of the most reliable in my own experience.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Most of the workers on a Thai acquaintance's construction crew are Cambodian.  Like everywhere, the hardest workers are often immigrants. Which is why most countries have an unofficial immigration policy. They need to get certain jobs done that the natives won't do.

reminds me of some countries in Europe back in the old days, their own citizens didn't want to work on farm and/or construction jobs thus brought in thousands of immigrants, the funny thing was, the brought in immigrants came to these countries to do work that they refused to do on their own country. I heard Thais don't want to work on construction herein their own country, but when they immigrate to EUA, USA, Saudi, UK, etc., they will work on construction there

11 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

1. No wonder they can't be bothered turning up at 6000/month (and possibly move into bar work)

2. No wonder CP are filthy rich.

Agree,

but this 19 years old girls never had so much money before .

Think CP then choose the best of them, educate them, and then their  sallaray is 12.ooo  per month.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

What is a real Brit? Are there no immigrants in Thailand who want to work? Try to not bring ignorantly and covertly racist comment into the conversation. I am sure the OP would be happy to employ any nationality who has the ability to work in Thailand.

So I have no idea why you want to differentiate between "real Thai" and "immigrant". Do you?

No I did not mean it like a racism remark. I can't imagine that anyone would work for such meager wages in the UK so I expected Romanians or Poles or something like that as they often work cheaper and a farm labor. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, connda said:

Why the age discrimination.  You hamstring your own efforts.  Older workers are some of the most reliable in my own experience.

I actually agree, even though you are on my ignore list. ???? Younger couples are going to be more upwardly mobile and will already be plotting their escape or looking for ways to make more money....out of you or anything else.

You want an older couple who will be happy to just have a place to settle.

1 minute ago, DanielS said:

Agree,

but this 19 years old girls never had so much money before .

Think CP then choose the best of them, educate them, and then their  sallaray is 12.ooo  per month.

True....easy to be dismissive of that level of pay as a farang.........but pretty sure CP won't be struggling....555

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Considering the unemployment rate they seem  to  have a lot to learn  about   actually  getting a  job thats if they really want one.

Were they from the USA.  Current system has those who whine about finding a job getting more in government unemployment benefits that actually working. 

15 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

reminds me of some countries in Europe back in the old days, their own citizens didn't want to work on farm and/or construction jobs thus brought in thousands of immigrants, the funny thing was, the brought in immigrants came to these countries to do work that they refused to do on their own country. I heard Thais don't want to work on construction herein their own country, but when they immigrate to EUA, USA, Saudi, UK, etc., they will work on construction there

Because they got paid a lot more abroad.

No different from the U.K. Look at the E.U. First the Poles flooded in and undercut the Brits who would charge high prices and turn up whenever they felt like it.

Poles would get the job done and prospered as a result. Other immigrants had to undercut the Poles to get work and they worked hard too. I had a couple of Lithuanians working on the land and when they finished the requested job, found themselves other things to do that I did not even ask them to do; all within the same day rate.

Found drains that needed unblocking etc and just getting stuck in without needing to be asked.

Of course the Brits who enjoyed high pay for nothing and the cushty conditions of having no real competition, objected vociferously. But the consumer who could now enjoy getting the work done and at a reasonable price stayed silent and just kept employing.

That's how it works in Thailand and many other places. The Thais want it cushty; just like everyone else and tolerate the immigrants because they do the dirty jobs.

But like everywhere else, object when they feel the immigrants are getting the upper hand.

Look at the Indians in the U.K. 

Brits would close their corner shops at 6 o'clock sharp. If you wanted anything to eat after that you would have to go to the chippy(fish and chip shop). Indians changed all that; even under the burden of being labelled 'Pakis' by their Brit customers.

Brits also go abroad to work because of higher pay and perks. I have family working in Saudi Arabia; high pay and tax free. 

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I'm not surprised if there getting £120 a day..

50 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Exactly; not cleaning once a week. Otherwise she gets paid only for the day that she does cleaning.

Cleaning takes 3  hours this is  why for 18-20k  most of the time the woman is doing nothing the bulk of that salary will be the mans.

19 minutes ago, robblok said:

No I did not mean it like a racism remark. I can't imagine that anyone would work for such meager wages in the UK so I expected Romanians or Poles or something like that as they often work cheaper and a farm labor. 

Then why not write what you meant?  £70 per day might be meagre to you.

I have to admit that I struck it lucky with the Jamaican gardener. Another one who just seem to love his work. I, in fact, didn't set the amount of his pay. I would ask him what he wanted afterwards . Sometimes as little as £40 for gardening work. He would also request a few cuttings, as I have had quite a few fruit trees in my London garden.

59 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

rate for our villages is 300 baht a day, can be as little as 250 baht sometimes

don't kill themselves, but often steady workers

Just give them the occasional small whiskey or beer at the end of the day

This is what I see around  here although i'd say 300-350 a day minimum and 500 a day for a  skilled  worker ie plasterer "chap" work. I'm rural.

• Like 1

Just now, Rampant Rabbit said:

Cleaning takes 3  hours this is  why for 18-20k  most of the time the woman is doing nothing the bulk of that salary will be the mans.

You are always going to get unhelpful Trolls on a thread. It's just nature. 

But you might be missing a trick on the age cut-off. Younger people are going to be upwardly mobile.

48 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Really?Then why is it that I find it very difficult to find Thai workers who are willing work for such long hours for low pay.

I am talking about repairing house work or renovation to a house.

Thats a  different requirement to my work, which in general is just watering and keeping things  tidy, no grass  or brush  cutting involved all is  hard surfaces.

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Then why not write what you meant?  £70 per day might be meagre to you.

I have to admit that I struck it lucky with the Jamaican gardener. Another one who just seem to love his work. I, in fact, didn't set the amount of his pay. I would ask him what he wanted afterwards . Sometimes as little as £40 for gardening work. He would also request a few cuttings, as I have had quite a few fruit trees in my London garden.

I think we are talking about different work. You were talking farm work and I was imagining long days of farm work. That is why i said 70 a day is meagre. That is also why i assumed Polish or Romanian labor. Now your talking about gardening in a London Garden. 

Is not exactly what i expected. We have a lot of Polish and Romanian workers in the Netherlands too but they get a bit better paid but I think the work is probably heavier. But I mean meagre as the minimum wage is around 1600 GBP That should be 70 at least per day. So unless we are not talking full days its a meagre pay its the minimum of the minimum. I made more then that as a part time postman 20 years ago.

33 minutes ago, connda said:

Because I see a lot of the older men are heavy smokers and not in reasonable  health even though one couple were older they tired  quickly after 12  months. Its  not discrimination its  experience, best worker had one hand 35  years  old.

23 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Indians changed all that; even under the burden of being labelled 'Pakis' by their Brit

I remember when these P shops first opened, they got a lot of flak & racist abuse.

Now, many of them are doing extremely well, & have big businesses.

All because they understood that they had to work hard to get on & succeed.

Too many people, especially young graduates think they deserve high paying jobs immediately after Uni.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

The strangest people I ever met was after placing an add in the paper looking to rent out part of my house in order to have a care-taker there while I was off traveling. Never again! One lady said her husband had just got out of prison, he was dangerous, and my house would be perfect because she needed a place to hide.

Not as bad but recently had some work done at house. Work finished, paid the guy. Later that evening his wife turned up asking if she could stay the night? Apparently, as soon as he gets some money, her husband goes crazy having taken all manner of substances.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

This is what I see around  here although i'd say 300-350 a day minimum and 500 a day for a  skilled  worker ie plasterer "chap" work. I'm rural.

I started a 100 rai rubber plantation in north Isan many year ago, same problem. Everybody wants work, but not really. They want money. 

It was pointed out by a fellow expat farmer who was doing a pig operation. Everyone with some drive and get up and go has gone to Bangkok or Chonburi etc for construction jobs. What's left in Issan are the ones that don't cut the mustard, and don't care if they do.

When I had work on the young rubber trees I had men and women doing hand work around the trees and I ran the tractor with rototiller. Work started at 8 and went untill noon. when I got up from eating and started the tractor that was work time. Everyone complained to my wife that I worked them to much, but I kept the same hours and longer in the evening. Those that didn't work were paid at the end of the day and told not to come back. I had high turnover but it came down to a core of  5 guys who would always show up, work hard. I paid above the going rate for them, Saturday was payday, guaranteed, Food was excellent and the odd bottle of Lao Khao thrown in.

I'm very glad I have nothing to do with any of that anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Do you mind if I suggest that you are writing deliberately inflammatory nonsense?

You have not even asked about the hours worked and the perks provided.

So you are suggesting that he pays the man 24,000 baht per month and his wife 15,000 and provide them accommodation for what exactly?

If you are talking about a simple day rate and then off they go; then I might be in agreement.

Otherwise it just looks as if you are just trying to bash the OP.

Look pal, I have probably employed more Thais than you have had hot dinners.

If you want good staff and for them to stay you have to pay them well. 

I did mention in my post that it has been my experience and experiences differ for everyone.

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think we are talking about different work. You were talking farm work and I was imagining long days of farm work. That is why i said 70 a day is meagre. That is also why i assumed Polish or Romanian labor. Now your talking about gardening in a London Garden. 

Is not exactly what i expected. We have a lot of Polish and Romanian workers in the Netherlands too but they get a bit better paid but I think the work is probably heavier. But I mean meagre as the minimum wage is around 1600 GBP That should be 70 at least per day. So unless we are not talking full days its a meagre pay its the minimum of the minimum. I made more then that as a part time postman 20 years ago.

You make a lot of assumptions. About the work the OP is providing.

Thats a  different requirement to my work, which in general is just watering and keeping things  tidy, no grass  or brush  cutting involved all is  hard surfaces.

Also about the size of the land and scope of the work in London. 

Your made up minimum wage, which is actually £8.91 per hour in the U.K, on which you have to pay tax and National Insurance contributions etc So if my workers worked an eight hour day(which they didn't) for £70, they are still being paid more than the minimum wage, especially as it's cash in hand with no deductions.

Why don't you just stop digging? It actually gets a bit annoying.