I will never understand them

Rampant Rabbit

7 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Per  person or  couple as they generally work  in pairs. Husband Wife  team although womans work is generally  cleaning  and thats once a  week for  my  house, which is  small.

Per person for a hard man.

Woman 500 enough.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

The strangest people I ever met was after placing an add in the paper looking to rent out part of my house in order to have a care-taker there while I was off traveling. Never again! One lady said her husband had just got out of prison, he was dangerous, and my house would be perfect because she needed a place to hide.

be glad she was upfront about it. you dodged a bullet.

3 hours ago, tonray said:

The garden/Maintenance folks in our MooBaan are all Burmese...some of the hardest workers you have ever seen. You should look for an immigrant couple. We occasionally engage some folks to cut / trim trees....Husband/Wife/Daughter and Son-in-Law all show up in pickup truck and make short work of the job.

Agreed, same here in Nonthaburi. We also employ for our shops and had a mix of results.  Having said that, the same could be said about some of the UK work force.  Add in all the bureaucracy and on top costs a lot of the time they were making more than me, the owner working 12 hours a day. I was amazed at the number of ways tradesmen in the construction industry could manipulate the price of work. Bricklayers for example; pay them by the 1000 and they throw 500 off the scaffolding,  by the day and it's cigarette breaks every 10 bricks, by the job and they forget to rake out.  Finish time on a Friday....1 o'clock.

I pay our gardeners here quite well otherwise I'd be out in 38 degrees, incessant sun beating down on me and exhausted after 20 minutes.

• Like 1

And in the end no one ever wants to say straight out how much they pay for their workers. What's to hide other than maybe your own greed or dignity? No worries, it's the way of the world. You should know by now that Thais are often straight with each other about the amount of money they earn. Thailand is going in a similar direction as the rest of the world with wages. The poor don't have much inspiration from what's on offer and the the other end has so much they forget where it is.

40 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

You only have 2 workers...I have 3..

*pokes tongue out and says der der der der der

Btw I refer to them as 'staff' it just makes me feel just that litttlleeeeee bit more important

*puffs chest out

And probably one decent worker could do the work  of  all 3.

4 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

pay peanuts and get monekys....you propably pay them 10000-15000 baht a month,

try live on this amount for few months than tell us how you worked.

No that will not work too.. you can offer what you want but they want to make a lot of money... Try to get someone for something easy, just as replace a door, or new tiles in a bathroom... maybe they show up to see the job, but they will never come to fix it.. many many times i tried

Just now, TooBigToFit said:

And in the end no one ever wants to say straight out how much they pay for their workers.

18000 rising to 20000 per  couple inc  accomodation motorcycle  food  electric  water rice, does that upset  your  applecart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The manager of a local 7/11 was complaining about  her staff, i asked  why do  you employ so many staff (10)..

she said, i employ 10 because you never   know from day to day how many will turn up for work everyday, usually  5,     to ensure you have enough  staff  daily you must employ double

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

CM you will only get Thai Yai and then they will not stay long if they consider the work too hard or they are always being watched. 500 baht a day they even scoff at as they know they can get on some sort of group that bids on jobs that move around. Thai people we have had them work on our home and it was the absolute worst quality of work. I will probably have to rip out my kitchen tiled floor in a year or so and have it leveled out. Thai Yai if not watch  cut corners to make an extra buck on materials. 

1 hour ago, WineOh said:

Most Thai's don't want a real job per se.

They want to be paid whilst playing Facebook and TikTok for 10 hour a day.

I think in general most people would like money without work. I mean I would not mind getting the same money i do now without working. Though i would not spend it on facebook or tik tok.

• Like 1

Just now, robblok said:

I think in general most people would like money without work. I mean I would not mind getting the same money i do now without working. Though i would not spend it on facebook or tik tok.

The  difference being we understand you get owt for  nowt.

1 minute ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

The  difference being we understand you get owt for  nowt.

The difference is more that I (and I have worked on the land as i came from a tulip farming area) have an education and will never ever do stupid work like that. It would be an absolute last resort. Just like the people your trying to get. Its one of the worst jobs there is so don't expect people to be lining up.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The UK company I worked for employed clocking in and out as usual for the working day, but also for breaks and lunchtime......clocking someone else was instant dismissal, clocking in late you lost 15 mins pay for each minute you were late.

3 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

My wife & family has Vietnamese ancestry.  As do many of her friends and distant relatives.  Hard-headed, ambitious people.  A couple of her school friends from 40+ years back are worth a million or three.  US dollars, not Baht. They get bored and just make money,

The Vietnamese fought for their independence from the French...and then the Americans....and they won their freedom.  Their toughness and inner steel is noticeable when visiting their country and seeing what they have done to transform it beyond a newly industrialized country (NIC).  Doubt they would be coming to help out at the OP's farm...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

Less than 800 per day.

You get what you pay for in my experience.

rate for our villages is 300 baht a day, can be as little as 250 baht sometimes

don't kill themselves, but often steady workers

Just give them the occasional small whiskey or beer at the end of the day

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

18000 rising to 20000 per  couple inc  accomodation motorcycle  food  electric  water rice, does that upset  your  applecart

That's normal for Thailand for uneducated ignorant employees. I can tell you that the security guards where I live make 12-15k a month but they just sit in their uniforms and play on their phones. Most of them have the mentality of Gomer Pyle when you talk to them. The brighter ones enjoy the idea of sitting in a spot all day and getting paid to watch youtube videos for 15k a month.

We do have gardeners on the grounds of complex where my apt is located. They work seven days a week and every holiday to get extra time. They probably make 9-10k a month plus overtime. They get the work done but in Thai culture work & play are considered partners in the old thinking. Like farmers they do things together and take a lot of breaks but ultimately there's no profit in rushing. So it's sabai sabai. And the real quality landscape work and planning and knowledge is held by a few foremen who direct the work groups. So, the lower paid workers aren't going to take care of the plants and yards properly without their expertise. Actually I just remember about 10 years ago one of the workers shot a foreman over pay here. I actually live on a big complex spread over maybe 2 x 2 square kilometers so there are lots of buildings and grounds to maintain. Anyways, most of the garden and yard people here are very simple folk. If you think people working on some major estate complex, a campus, public grounds or any area where there are workers might take interest in your job offer, you could go right to them and steal them from the garden work they already have. Just look in your district. You might find some who are looking for something better.

31 minutes ago, robblok said:

The difference is more that I (and I have worked on the land as i came from a tulip farming area) have an education and will never ever do stupid work like that. It would be an absolute last resort. Just like the people your trying to get. Its one of the worst jobs there is so don't expect people to be lining up.

Sorry, but don't agree. I have people lining up to do work on my land in the U.K. I just employ them for the time that I need them; rather than having to accommodate them and put up with five hour lunches.

They work and hardly take a break at all.  They did all this for an entirely reasonable £40 to £70 per day.

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Per  person or  couple as they generally work  in pairs. Husband Wife  team although womans work is generally  cleaning  and thats once a  week for  my  house, which is  small.

For 800 baht  per day they have to work 8 hours , both of them.

@Rampant Rabbit

Probably your pay is too low and not worth the hard work. Thai prefer to stay at home and not work unless the pay is high.

Thai are mostly lazy workers, they even demand 1000 baht for a less than one hour manual job.

When I asked for a reduction, he just walked away. 

That's why a lot are still jobless because they are choosy.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, actonion said:

The manager of a local 7/11 was complaining about  her staff, i asked  why do  you employ so many staff (10)..

she said, i employ 10 because you never   know from day to day how many will turn up for work everyday, usually  5,     to ensure you have enough  staff  daily you must employ double

I know some girls in my village working for  SevenEleven. They have 6000 baht per month for full time work 10 hours per day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Sorry, but don't agree. I have people lining up to do work on my land in the U.K. I just employ them for the time that I need them; rather than having to accommodate them and put up with five hour lunches.

They work and hardly take a break at all.  They did all this for an entirely reasonable £40 to £70 per day.

Are these immigrants or real Brits ?

2 minutes ago, DanielS said:

I know some girls in my village working for  SevenEleven. They have 6000 baht per month for full time work 10 hours per day.

Really?Then why is it that I find it very difficult to find Thai workers who are willing work for such long hours for low pay.

I am talking about repairing house work or renovation to a house.

Edited by EricTh

5 hours ago, tonray said:

The garden/Maintenance folks in our MooBaan are all Burmese...some of the hardest workers you have ever seen. You should look for an immigrant couple. We occasionally engage some folks to cut / trim trees....Husband/Wife/Daughter and Son-in-Law all show up in pickup truck and make short work of the job.

Agree. Burmese had it tough back home, Thai people are spoilt for choices.

• Like 1