I will never understand them

Rampant Rabbit

53 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Thats a  different requirement to my work, which in general is just watering and keeping things  tidy, no grass  or brush  cutting involved all is  hard surfaces.

If the work is that easy, then why need a young worker below 40 years old?

Older worker can sometimes be more hardworking than younger worker.

I think you should really increase their salary. Everything has gone up despite Covid.

Edited by EricTh

28 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

How old was the other hand?

It got to 25 and then did  a  runner, apparently  chopped  off at a factory with a Thai boss  who then got rid  of  him, charming, he got  nothing for the loss  of the hand, he was a  good  worker and we got  on well but after 20 odd  months he went right off and left, got  bored  who  knows. Then 18  months  later  turned  up  on the doorstep as  he'[d  lost his  job due to covid just as our other staff decided they didnt want to work here. He stayed for 4  months then left  again, back to Bangkok but then due to covid  again lost that  job.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I think you should really increase their salary. Everything has gone up despite Covid.

Not that I see for example rents in Bangkok have actually gone  down, car prices are being reduced and more incentives  offered, some  workers have had salaries reduced , many have no jobs.

26 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Because every 3  months we need to work on the crop for 10  days and thats when the work is  harder, but  again they can start at 6 am if they want and stop  at 10am then start again at 3 pm to avoid  heat.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Because every 3  months we need to work on the crop for 10  days and thats when the work is  harder, but  again they can start at 6 am if they want and stop  at 10am then start again at 3 pm to avoid  heat.

That explains the 5hr lunch break 10 -3 ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwonitoy said:

I started a 100 rai rubber plantation in north Isan many year ago, same problem. Everybody wants work, but not really. They want money. 

It was pointed out by a fellow expat farmer who was doing a pig operation. Everyone with some drive and get up and go has gone to Bangkok or Chonburi etc for construction jobs. What's left in Issan are the ones that don't cut the mustard, and don't care if they do.

When I had work on the young rubber trees I had men and women doing hand work around the trees and I ran the tractor with rototiller. Work started at 8 and went untill noon. when I got up from eating and started the tractor that was work time. Everyone complained to my wife that I worked them to much, but I kept the same hours and longer in the evening. Those that didn't work were paid at the end of the day and told not to come back. I had high turnover but it came down to a core of  5 guys who would always show up, work hard. I paid above the going rate for them, Saturday was payday, guaranteed, Food was excellent and the odd bottle of Lao Khao thrown in.

I'm very glad I have nothing to do with any of that anymore.

At least you were lucky they showed up in the morning. Many will just disappear on the first probation day.. I don't understand them too but my take is that they are not interested in growing wealth or anything. They just want to do nothing. And for some of those nothing is the perfect job, they are not able to do anything else..

In my experience they prefer "job and finish" not regular hours etc. Price to do the task, do it as fast as they can and leave and on to the next one.

Had a situation where a person had a choice of 15k order,and finished, or 8k order every month for a year, they chose the 15k now ! And dropped the 96k !!  Unbelievable to me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WineOh said:

Most Thai's don't want a real job per se.

They want to be paid whilst playing Facebook and TikTok for 10 hour a day.

And I am always amazed how many employers let them get away with that.

I see more and more so called security guards who mostly play with their phones. What's the point of a guard who doesn't pay attention at least most of the time? And it seems many get away with that attitude.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I see more and more so called security guards who mostly play with their phones. What's the point of a guard who doesn't pay attention at least most of the time? And it seems many get away with that attitude.

They shouod have a "no phone on duty" policy everywhere ! I know some do, but it should be universal in my opinion whilst working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

don't get me started on security guards here mate!

what a complete and utter waste of money.

Useless for them is most definitely an understatement.

but the average Thai feels 'safe' with them around so I don't see them going anywhere soon.

Edited by WineOh
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Less than 800 per day.

You get what you pay for in my experience.

My GF had a guesthouse built, team of 15 people, finished in two months. The only power tool used was the welder for the roof frames, everything else done by hand. 300 baht/day/person, plus a small bottle of Lao Khao each.

I guess it depends on where one lives in Thailand.

IMG20170527151336.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

They shouod have a "no phone on duty" policy everywhere ! I know some do, but it should be universal in my opinion whilst working.

Any caddie that gets on the phone while I am playing golf gets told they can use the phone, no tip, I tip if they turn the phone off. So far, none have chosen Option 1.

6 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Per person for a hard man.

Woman 500 enough.

You clearly have no experience of employing Thais. My bank manager doesn't get 800 baht day. 500 baht/day for a cleaner? You're having a laugh.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

That explains the 5hr lunch break 10 -3 ?

They werent working on the crops, the  5  hours is  for working on the crops, normal day is 3  hours  tree  watering for one person and some leaf cutting picking up, Ive done the work myslef and it can all be done every day in 3-4  hours max by ONE  person, but I need someone here as I  have to go help the Wife in Bangkok occasionally for maybe 4-6  weeks  per  time.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What's the point of a guard who doesn't pay attention at least most of the time?

Not to mention the "company for the evening" industry. Barfine and tip, so they can enjoy a shower and your air conditioned hotel room, playing on their phone. So I've heard.

2 hours ago, Sundown said:

Many will just disappear on the first probation day

Here's what happened to my wife. Saw a job ad on a house for a cleaning lady. A bit hi-so, they owned a business in town. She went in and got the job.

First day, they worked her like an animal. Big house, 3 bathrooms, clean all the toilets, wash all the floors, dishes, clothes, cook all the meals. Never a moment's rest. Whenever she stopped for a breather, they'd pull her to do something else. They'd even sometimes say something wasn't good enough, and make her do it again. She was sore the next morning and didn't sleep well.

She goes in to work the next day and says sorry, I wasn't expecting this level of work, I'll take my pay for yesterday and that's it. They said no, we pay by the month, if you quit we don't pay. And that was it. They got a free day of work. Driving by many times later the sign was still on the house, awaiting the next victim.

It goes both ways. Lazy workers taking advantage of their employers, or ruthless employers taking advantage of their workers.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, polpott said:

You clearly have no experience of employing Thais. My bank manager doesn't get 800 baht day. 500 baht/day for a cleaner? You're having a laugh.

Sounds like you think everywhere is like your Issan village where you will find cheap labour.

I doubt you employ anyone. 

In Bangkok and in the south you won't get anyone decent for under 500 per day that will work consistently and stay. 

I am not arguing with you. I am telling you. 

And for your bank manager claim? To put it nicely, you don't have a clue. Looking at a 50,000 month minimum with health benefits, cheap loans etc.

You told me you can't read Thai, so you will have to get your wife to read it for you.

Link for bank managers wages for her to read to you.

https://pantip.com/topic/35998270

Please don't just make stuff up. If you need to know anything else, feel free to ask me.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My GF had a guesthouse built, team of 15 people, finished in two months. The only power tool used was the welder for the roof frames, everything else done by hand. 300 baht/day/person, plus a small bottle of Lao Khao each.

I guess it depends on where one lives in Thailand.

IMG20170527151336.jpg

Everyone was in 300? Even the boss of the group? 

They didn't have a drill? To mix the cement, render? Did they nail the ceiling in or screw it by hand.

Those seat benches out the front should have had steel rods drilled into the "sao" to support them.

I reckon the blokes I use with their own tools would get it done about 3 times faster to be honest. So 800 per day verses 300 per day works out probably about the same in the end. 

And the right power tools are needed to do a quality job on a house build. I reckon they would cut corners because without tools some jobs would be too hard to do properly. Mai bpen Rai.

I hope for your sake I am wrong.

its VERY Hard........BUYER BEWARE 

luckily my thai lady as “agent” organizes all works & labour via her business contacts & friends.....

you should get strong recommendations from reliable friends/contacts/ agents for ALL Labour

would never have “live in” labour on my premises ; what if they wont leave ? or stop working? too risky

by trial & error we eventually found very good thai trades foreman who does or subs it all ......

have very good Complex burmese caretaker introduced by friend & former complex resident

he does simple private maint. work too......use burmese ladies for Cleaning House.......

however numerous bad trades experiences here .......even when introduced by friends or agents

i will not do any manual work here on my house.....all subcontracted..... labor very cheap but often unreliable......and not why I came here......little talent or desire either ! also potential Imm. violation.....

some expats advertise various services...do not trust ANY of them without personal recommendation.

9 hours ago, WineOh said:

Most Thai's don't want a real job per se.

They want to be paid whilst playing Facebook and TikTok for 10 hour a day.

The current "labor shortage" in the USA seems to indicate that's not just a Thai trait.  The difference, of course, is that the US malingerers are making enough on the gub'ment Covid dole to indulge their preference.

2 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Not to mention the "company for the evening" industry. Barfine and tip, so they can enjoy a shower and your air conditioned hotel room, playing on their phone. So I've heard.

Whoever told you did something wrong.

On 6/13/2021 at 7:06 AM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

pay peanuts and get monekys....you propably pay them 10000-15000 baht a month,

try live on this amount for few months than tell us how you worked.

Way too much.

400 a day 5 days a week, this is suitable for casual labour in rural thailand, some may say too mutt....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Anyway....the topic is about the OP finding workers.....

And to get back to that, Wife advertised on Facebook ,  it appears to be  filled with the dregs of  Thai society, people saying they are despearte for a job, saying theyll be there in 2  days then not  coming, or  the latest claiming they dont  have enough  money fo the bus  fare here and  hoping  we'll  send it .......dream on and finally  Saturday one couple said they will start today, Wife  gets a  call from "someone"  today who says  they arent  coming but he  will  come  instead, erm no thanks.

Never  seen such a useless  bunch of children  in my life, will conitnue  doing it  myself, it's  really  not  hard work.