PLEASE HELP ME TO DECIDE. Should we move from Khon Kaen to Hua Hin soon or wait until we have had the Covid-19 vaccine?

Keith5588

27 minutes ago, Keith5588 said:

Hi @Felt 35 I have learnt a few things, that swimming in the sea at Hua Hin is not so good as I thought and that the True Arena was a public place as the one in KK is public and free or cheap to use. Also there being no public swimming pool surprises me a bit. For me it makes little difference as I intend to stay in a condo building that has a large pool but it does suggest that Hua Hin does not cater for the local people. 

One running club is the Hash House Harriers - it has groups all over the world, there is a group in Hua Hin, the other group is the Hua Hin Trail Runners. You think you can easily find these by a Google Search. 

Keith

Thanks, will do a search.

Felt

Hi Keith

You have to ignore all the naysayers on here and visit Hua Hin for a couple of weeks or a month as some people have suggested and make up your own mind.

A room/condo can be rented for 6,000-8,000 Baht a month while you look around and decide yourself if it's the place for you two. I can send you details of a few around Soi 94, probably the most popular Soi for expats, if you wish.

You say the sea is not as good as you thought, on the say so of who ? NCC who from previous posts spends all his days riding his motorbike looking for young girls and has probably never been in the water and Felt who comes for 2 months a year. Maybe Felt was swimming in a bad area or after a storm. I walk on the beach for 1.5 hours 4/5 times a week and people are in the water every day and I have never seen anyone with any traces of mud on them.  Avoid the area in front of the Hilton/Sofitel as the vendors overcharge and the sea has a lot of hidden rocks which is where HH gets it's name from (Stone Head). If the sea was that bad it would be all over FB and the internet telling people not to go and visitors wouldn't come from BKK every weekend.

There are places where you can pay to swim if your condo pool is not suitable, eg Sports Villa which has 2 pools and a gym, I believe about 100 Baht a day or Dusitland off Soi 94 where it's 50 Baht a day to use the pool, sun loungers and they have a restaurant where you can eat by the pool. There are others more up market , Anantasila charges 300 Baht a day for their Infinity pool and facilities and the 300 can be used against food and drink in their restaurant and most high end hotels although for a price.

There was another sports centre to the North called Tavimook where people played badminton, tennis etc but I heard it may have closed. Pickleball is played at a couple of places, you can give that a try. There are FB forums for HH, join them and ask where people play.

You won't come across many ladies from HH, most come from the North or BKK and they come here to work as there are lots of jobs in the tourist industry in normal conditions. If ladies here aren't friendly to them maybe it's because of their own attitude or arrogance? I've never experienced it or heard about it before.

There are always negative people everywhere and people like to moan about everything, it's human nature so don't be put off by one or two people on this forum ( I will probably be trolled for posting something positive), come and see for yourself.

I have friends in Chonnabot who love coming here for a holiday despite a 12 hour bus ride!

Any specific questions feel free to ask or send me a personal message.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Keith

Just read on FB an advert for another place called Hamton fitness & pool, according to Google translate, it's 60 Baht daily or 600 Baht per month for both gym and pool. You can find them on FB.

Dusitland also have a monthly rate. Options are there if you look around.

• Like 1

If you feel safe in KK, and the Covid rates you quote are accurate, I don’t see any need to move to an area with more cases of Covid? 

Once you are vaccinated then move on. Moving to HH involves a lot more interaction with people that you do at the moment, if there is no urgent reason to move then just take your time. 

I want to travel again but have decided to stay in my base in the eastern Mediterranean until Covid is largely over. So I’ll be on the move in 2022, but not before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Felt who comes for 2 months a year. Maybe Felt was swimming in a bad area or after a storm

Only a small correction. 2-3 months here and 2-3 months where my permanent residence is in South Thailand so 4-6 months a year more precisely, and have kept doing so since the better half started in here current job in 2015. Swimming for me is straight down from Soi 85 and I usually swim 1-2.5km each time and mostly swim South along the beach and return. Last year the water in March-May was good, depends where you compare to in Thailand. This year was ok in March and first half of April but later on the water was turbid and dirty and as said I come often up from the water with black streaks of dirt all over the body. I have actually never experienced that anywhere before.

Felt

7 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Only a small correction. 2-3 months here and 2-3 months where my permanent residence is in South Thailand so 4-6 months a year more precisely,This year was ok in March and first half of April but later on the water was turbid and dirty and as said I come often up from the water with black streaks of dirt all over the body.

So 2-3 months in HH and the water was only dirty for a couple of weeks at the end of April in the 6 years you have been swimming here. 

12 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Since then, I forgot country come back and concluded a long lease at Jomtien in a seafront condo.

I spent about 5 months in Jomtien in 2019 and went back with some pals in November last year for a long weekend. It's the place most like Hua Hin I have come across and would be my first choice to live if I left HH.

• Like 1

I'm moving there just before Christmas mate.

Buying a vacation apartment close to the beach.

See you in the early evening for a swift half! ???? 

Edited by WineOh
  • Like 1

Hi @YorkshireTyke

I very much appreciate your comments as I was confused by some other comments in this thread.

I had a mental picture of people going into the sea, being stung by jelly fish, coming out in pain covered in dirty mud to be insulted by unfriendly people. 

Thanks for mentioning the places where you can go to use a pool and gym. I have made a note about not swimming near the Hilton.  

I have already subscribed to most Hua Hin clubs on Facebook.

Also thanks for the offer to be able to contact you.

At the moment I would like to go to Hua Hin and rent on a daily basis while looking for a long term 1 year rental. I would like to give it a 1 year trial as I feel that it can take time to discover places and to settle in.

I have looked at places on the internet and I might be wrong but I prefer to rent a bit South of the main HH beach area, close to Khao Takiep.

I have mentioned the running clubs but I am not a running fanatic. We joined some Hash runs on two different holidays and find it a great way to see the local area and to meet some good people as well as the exercise.

Because of the fact that there is less Covid-19 in KK it is a struggle for me but I have decided to show some sense as life here in KK is OK. So will delay the move for now but will go at the first good opportunity. Probably after October as I have looked at climate sites and HH has high rainfall in September and October. Also hopefully we will both have received the vaccine by November and/or HH will have less covid compared to KK.

I wish this Covid virus would go away. My delay is a small inconvenience, many people must be suffering a lot.

• Like 1

Keith

I think you are worrying far too much about a bit of rain ! It's not as if you will be waterlogged and marooned in your condo for days on end! From what I remember it will be torrential for 1-2 hours then an hour later the sun is out and all the roads are dry, there will only be a few days of constant rain.

Just had a quick look at rainfall and you will get twice as much in KK in July, Aug and September than HH so put that negative thought out of your head. 

As for Covid, unless you are going to pluck chickens or peel pineapples your probably as safe as KK but that's your decision to make.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Hi @YorkshireTyke  I had another look at the rainfall levels on

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/historyclimate/climatemodelled/hua-hin_thailand_1153269

I still think most likely more rain in HH during Sept and Oct but probably different sites state different data. Also I do think on the whole you are right and the amount of rain will not be that important, so thanks for that.  Plus if cloudy and not raining I regard that as good.

I know most of the covid cases in HH are in the factories but I don't know how far the factories are from where I intend to stay and don't the people that work at the factories sometimes visit other places including the beach, 7-11's etc.?  Also people pop down from Bangkok. So I do think more chance of catching covid in HH than KK but I do understand your thoughts and it is small in both places so not matter, especially because we do not mix closely with a lot of people.

Probably at a very high risk are the people that serve in places like 7-11's

I do understand you and think that I am over thinking things. Pet is out doing her exercise dancing in the nearby park that she does every evening.

I'll mention it again when she returns, I know if I really wanted to go very soon she would go but I am still 50/50 about going now or waiting a while. I know she would feel better after having a covid jab and I would too, plus I do not mind paying for the jabs if necessary but they are just not available, we have both registered.

Thanks for your comments.

Keith

6 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

So 2-3 months in HH and the water was only dirty for a couple of weeks at the end of April in the 6 years you have been swimming here. 

Sorry to say but rest of the year is worse with added undercurrent. I you count swimmers, not they who jump in the water to cool down or children playing you will over time see that very few swim and I guarantee you that they who love ocean swimming have their reason to not swim.  Btw, I think you most likely can see better how the water are when actually in the water than you can from walking on the beach.????

Felt

48 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Sorry to say but rest of the year is worse with added undercurrent.

So why do you swim for over 1 km everytime for the last 6 years if under current is so bad and how do you know about the rest of the year when you are only here for 2-3 months a year?

On 6/17/2021 at 11:26 PM, YorkshireTyke said:

So why do you swim for over 1 km everytime for the last 6 years if under current is so bad and how do you know about the rest of the year when you are only here for 2-3 months a year?

Visits have been on different times of the year. I have as said no reason to deter OP from moving to Hua Hin nor have I any reasons to promote Hua Hin. However what got my attention and gave my opinion on was swimming in the ocean and the quality of the water outside Hua Hin beach due to my general interests in swimming and especially in the relatively freedom and natural feeling of a ocean swim. This compared to swimming in many other areas of Thailand. Many retires swim here but many do so in the few clubs who offer a swimming pool due to Jellyfish and general low quality of the seawater. 

Felt 35

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 9:07 AM, RobMuir said:

I thought you might have been a relatively new to Thailand person and just think the HH is ok, but there is a lot better further south that you might not have seen.

However considering your interests and situation HH appears to be a perfect match for you.

Good luck mate.

Your girlfriend sounds like she is a real diamond.

Hi Rob.

I am very interested to know the location if where you think things are better south if HH?

My wife comes from Surat and we are thinking if relocating from CM to the HH area.

Obviously  we know Surat and Chumpon, so where are you suggesting?

Many thanks 

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2021 at 3:58 PM, grain said:

I've lived in both locations for considerable periods. I'm currently in KK now, for a few days, and IMO KK city is much nicer than HH, and prices are cheaper for many things than HH. On the plus side HH has the beach, has lots of seafood, and has the Hash House Harriers. If you're a beach person than yes go for HH, but if not then I see no advantages in leaving KK. As for the original question regarding covid, then IMO HH is more risky and frankly I'd stay in KK until vaccinated.

What is the Hash House Harriers?

Get your vaccines.

A friend just moved there from Phuket.

He's like a new man.

Loves it!

I was just in Khon Kaen.

For my vaccine at central Sunday and they were giving Sinopharm to the Thais.

Second jab on October 3rd.

You and your girlfriend's could be all vaccinated and good to go in 6 weeks.

I am still in Khon Kaen as I decided to stay because of much more covid in PKK. I have had my two jabs, first Sinovac,  then Astra Zenica.  My gf Pet has had Sinovac, Astra Zenica on the 27th of this month. 

To complicate things a bit, but I think for the best I bought a car a week ago, a new Toyota Yaris. so now not need to hire a car and can be very flexible on travels. Some might think I am a bit sad but I like to think very organised ...... basically 4 large white plastic storage boxes just fit into the back of the car with the rear seats down. In these boxes + a few bits like a couple of floor fans and a cooking table that comes apart very flat, will be all we need to live well ......... very flexible to move around. The only possible delay will be that I need the car to have the red plates removed and the white plates fitted. 

So it now looks like we will be in Hua Hin at the end of November ...... that's OK in that there is a lot of rain now.

I am really looking forward to moving to Hua Hin, I have read so much on the internet. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2021 at 4:00 PM, YorkshireTyke said:

I've gone to HH for over 20 years, usually Khao Takiab beach, as a relative owns the Anantasila. Never seen that water clear. 

Never swam in the main beach, is that clear?

What about jelly fish?