Can STV be used with Phuket sandbox to avoid ASQ hotel quarantine?

I am a swiss citizen currently in Indonesia but want to go to Thailand.

Firstly, is it even possible for me to get the STV visa while i'm in Indonesia and not my home country? 

I understand that if I want to get the STV visa, I have to enter before 3rd July so that I can extend another 90 days before 30th September. This would give me 6 months in Thailand. If i wanted to stay longer than 6 months, what comes after that? Do I have to leave the country or can I get the 60 day COVID extension? 

My other question, can the STV be combined with the phuket sandbox program, if I were to enter on or before 3rd July? If so, does this mean I could get the STV, but enter in Phuket without the need for quarantine in an ASQ hotel? 

If i wasn't to get the STV and just arrived in Phuket with the sandbox program, what is the maximum I can stay with extensions? 

Edited by ISTJ

Not sure if the STV will be allowed for the sandbox. There has not been an announcement with any info about what visa can be used.

Not sure you could get a 60 day covid 19 extension after the 90 day entry or if they will be available then.

You could get a single entry tourist visa that allows a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure if the STV will be allowed for the sandbox. There has not been an announcement with any info about what visa can be used.

Not sure you could get a 60 day covid 19 extension after the 90 day entry or if they will be available then.

You could get a single entry tourist visa that allows a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

so without the stv visa, maximum I could stay is 90 days then I have to leave? 

9 minutes ago, ISTJ said:

so without the stv visa, maximum I could stay is 90 days then I have to leave? 

Firstly forget the STV (imo).

Enter visa exempt (45 day). Obtain a 30 day extension. After that obtain covid extensions 60 days. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Firstly forget the STV (imo).

Enter visa exempt (45 day). Obtain a 30 day extension. After that obtain covid extensions 60 days. 

So visa exempt is the phuket sandbox program right? Do I need to get any visa before arriving? Can I keep getting 60 day extensions or will this end soon? 

1 minute ago, ISTJ said:

So visa exempt is the phuket sandbox program right? Do I need to get any visa before arriving? Can I keep getting 60 day extensions or will this end soon? 

With visa exempt you can obtain COE.

You could do the sandbox thing but currently bit vague. Of course that requires both shots of vax. Be aware that scheme has restrictions. Bars shut etc. 

The covid extensions will be continued (almost a given). 

From what we understand you should be able to enter Thailand under the sandbox program using any visa, and as long as you stay at least 14 days in your sandbox hotel you can leave phuket.

For 60 days extensions currently the last day to apply for one is July 29th (we expect this to be extended again, but you never know).

• Like 1

@ISTJ You write "If i wasn't to get the STV and just arrived in Phuket with the sandbox program": Are you thinking of a Visa Exempt entry, when you write this? 

While of course in theory you are entitled to a Visa exempt as a Swiss citizen, I think you will not be able to get the COE that you need to enter, if you can NOT show a valid Visa or Re-Entry permit. I just received my COE from the Thai Embassy in Bern and the requirements are pretty clear: Upload your Visa or Re-Entry permit OR apply for one beforehand.

28 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

I think you will not be able to get the COE that you need to enter, if you can NOT show a valid Visa or Re-Entry permit.

As always, depending on where you are the local Embassy may have their own ... unique take ... on the rules, but visa exempt is 100% eligible for COE as per the below:

1459369509_(7).png.507265172ce1821ae4582a5d18b80144.png

Even if the Embassy in Bern wanted to make up their own rules the OP is in Indonesia therefore, that's the Embassy that counts.

• Like 1

I have a STV and was at Chiang Mai Immigration yesterday doing my TM30.

The officer I spoke to said that the  'Covid Extensions' were likely to continue for some time.

If correct there is next to no value in a STV over a SETV. 

I realise this is only one officers opinion, just sharing what he said.

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

As always, depending on where you are the local Embassy may have their own ... unique take ... on the rules, but visa exempt is 100% eligible for COE as per the below:

Correct if you are from a country that qualifies for a visa exempt entry. The majority of countries in the world do not qualify for them.

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

With visa exempt you can obtain COE.

You could do the sandbox thing but currently bit vague. Of course that requires both shots of vax. Be aware that scheme has restrictions. Bars shut etc. 

The covid extensions will be continued (almost a given). 

I'm not vaccinated and not keen to do so unless absolutely necessary. 

The bars being shut down is actually a bonus for me as i'm a non-drinker and prefer to be around sober people. 

57 minutes ago, ISTJ said:

The bars being shut down is actually a bonus for me as i'm a non-drinker and prefer to be around sober people. 

Being vaccinated is the main requirement to enter a sandbox.

So you instead would have to look into an Alternative Local State Quarantine then

https://asq.in.th/aslq-phuket-thailand-hotels

But if you were to decide to get vaccinated the options for sandbox are much better in terms of price, and choices.

https://asq.in.th/phuket-sandbox-hotels

I’ve extensively researched this as trying to get to Phuket on 1st July from the UK and thought the benefit of ‘the sandbox’ was that a 14 day quarantine wasn’t required?

I understand a SHA hotel is necessary but the previous post with links suggests a 14 day minimum stay??

1 hour ago, truthfix said:

I’ve extensively researched this as trying to get to Phuket on 1st July from the UK and thought the benefit of ‘the sandbox’ was that a 14 day quarantine wasn’t required?

I understand a SHA hotel is necessary but the previous post with links suggests a 14 day minimum stay??

If you want to stay less than 14 days in Thailand, you can do that. If you want to stay 14 days or longer in thailand (phuket) 14 days SHA is required. 

3 hours ago, ISTJ said:

The sandbox are only for vaccinated people. If you are not vaccinated there are no way around the hotel quarantine (ASQ)

2 hours ago, truthfix said:

Yes, a 14 day minimum stay on the island before you can go to other areas but the advantage is you don't have to be fully quarantined in an ASQ hotel, confined to your room. You can stay in any hotel and move around the island more or less freely (you have to undergo 3 Covid tests, agree to have your movements tracked and install an app on your phone).

According to what @Usi mentioned, if you wanted to stay less than 14 days you probably could - but then you would have to leave the country.

• Like 1