Extension of stay by marriage to Thai

My wife and I were initially married in Korat in 2012 but it was not registered with Amphur. We married again in the USA and I have the original marriage certificate from USA. Where do I start to get this translated or authenticated so I can get the KOR-22 to process the extension. 

If in the US you should do the legalization of your marriage certificate before traveling to here.

Info is the first item under Services we CANNOT provide: On this page of the embassy website. 

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

Or if here you would do a self certification of it at the embassy in Bangkok. Info about is further down the above page.

Then  would have to have it translated to Thai and have the translation certified at the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok.

After the above you could register your foreign marriage at a Amphoe to have a Kor Ror 22 issued. Best to ask them what they require in advance.

Some Amphoes will want your passport certified by the embassy and translated to Thai.

As we are already in Thailand, I guess we must self certify. I will go to the web site. Right now my stepson is ferry us around. Went to the bank (SCB and Bangkok Bank branches) and were turn down with I needed work permit. Would not discuss further. 

On 6/15/2021 at 8:49 PM, oceanbreeze851 said:

Went to the bank (SCB and Bangkok Bank branches) and were turn down with I needed work permit. Would not discuss further. 

Contact said banks by email to their head office, and tell them that you have been refused to open an account, it may help. do you not have a Thai bank account?

On 6/15/2021 at 8:49 PM, oceanbreeze851 said:

As we are already in Thailand, I guess we must self certify. I will go to the web site. Right now my stepson is ferry us around. Went to the bank (SCB and Bangkok Bank branches) and were turn down with I needed work permit. Would not discuss further. 

You can do the self certification affidavit at the embassy in Bangkok or the consulate in Chiang Mai. 

A work permit is not required. Info for Bangkok Bank is here.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

You wife can be your reference to open an account. If she has a account at a bank it would be best to try at branch of that bank.

3 hours ago, oceanbreeze851 said:

Has anyone Had their marriage authenticated by the US embassy? 

Many people have done the affidavit as I mentioned in my previous post. The embassy will not authenticate anything.

3 hours ago, oceanbreeze851 said:

What about authentication of US passport? 

They will do a certified copy of it that will be accepted by a Amphoe after being translated to Thai and certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok. The embassy will do the certification of a copy by mail now.

When did you enter Thailand and on what Visa?

Read the link provided by UJ in order to make an affidavit, certified by the Embassy.

Have them take a certified copy of your Passport as well.

If you need further advice on where/how to get these translated and legalised by the Consular section of the MFA, please post back.

Download the 'Documents required' list from Bangkok Banks website for opening a Savings account without work permit.

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

From experience if you walk in with only Passport in hand without any other documentation, they will invariably just state you need a work permit. This is in lieu of the fact you offered nothing other than your Passport to open an account without a work permit.

Edited by Tanoshi

• 3 weeks later...

I run into a bit of a snag with my extension of stay based on marriage. With the closure of Bangkok or reduced access, I can not get my passport authenticated and my marriage affidavit notarized for at least for the next 2 weeks. My visa - 0 for marriage expires on 25 August. Is it possible to extend O visa for 60 or 90 days? If it is what paperwork is necessary? I have my house rental agreement and 400K baht in Kbank. 

19 minutes ago, oceanbreeze851 said:

I run into a bit of a snag with my extension of stay based on marriage. With the closure of Bangkok or reduced access, I can not get my passport authenticated and my marriage affidavit notarized for at least for the next 2 weeks. My visa - 0 for marriage expires on 25 August. Is it possible to extend O visa for 60 or 90 days? If it is what paperwork is necessary? I have my house rental agreement and 400K baht in Kbank. 

Your visas expiration date means nothing after you enter the country only the permit stay it allows is important.

You can apply for a 60 day extension of stay to visit your wife or a 60 day covid 19 extension.