Indefinite Stay Visa

Are you asking for Thailand or so other country that actually has such a visa? There is no visa by that name in Thailand.

OK, thanks. Yes, I was referring to Thailand (it *is* ThaiVisa.com after all). I recall seeing it referred to as that but perhaps I got it wrong. I saw somewhere that paying 20,000 bt after being here fror 3 years on renewable retirement visa could entitle one to stay indefinitely. I also heard it but "believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see". So I thought I would ask in here.

Cheers.

H

Well at the risk of the wrath of sriracha john amongst others, Thailand Elite is still going. So in answer to your original question, the requirements are a million baht, a clean police record, and a healthy appetite for risk... That'll get you a visa for life (in theory for your life, but more likely for the life of the programme).

And there is a forum just under this for visas to other countries and I believe some have a visa by that name - but there is no Thai visa by that name and I have not heard anyone refer to any Thai visa using that term.

Believe you are talking about Permanent Residence (PR) and the details for that are linked to from the pinned item at the top of the forum. But no, you do not pay 20,000 baht and get it. Those on retirement don't get it at all.

Yes, I was referring to Thailand (it *is* ThaiVisa.com after all).

Cool down. No need to cocky.

You are relatively new to ThaiVisa and therefore may not yet have seen that in addition to the forum “Thai visas, residency and work permits” there are lots of other forums, among them “Visas and migration to other countries”, in which there is often talk about something called “Indefinite Leave to Remain” (ILR) for the UK, a term that comes quite close to the “indefinite stay visa” you were asking about.

--------------

Maestro

I saw somewhere that paying 20,000 bt after being here fror 3 years on renewable retirement visa could entitle one to stay indefinitely. I also heard it but "believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see".

I think John K would correct your figures to his trademarked, "60-20-20"® .... :o:D

Edited by sriracha john

Well at the risk of the wrath of sriracha john amongst others, Thailand Elite is still going. So in answer to your original question, the requirements are a million baht, a clean police record, and a healthy appetite for risk... That'll get you a visa for life (in theory for your life, but more likely for the life of the programme).

Always nice when my name precedes my arrival on the scene.... post-9005-1179945243.gif

and Yep, Hurry and get one of them Cards before they run out of them...

post-9005-1179945385.gif

Edited by sriracha john

OP may be referring to Immigration Department website which refers to a retirement visa extension as "Application for further stay to spend the remainder of life in the Kingdom of Thailand".

Poster appears to be talking about PR as he mentions a three year wait and that is the time you have to be on extensions of stay to apply. But in the case of retirement they have not been providing PR so it is a mute point.

Yes, I was referring to Thailand (it *is* ThaiVisa.com after all).

Cool down. No need to cocky.

You are relatively new to ThaiVisa and therefore may not yet have seen that in addition to the forum "Thai visas, residency and work permits" there are lots of other forums, among them "Visas and migration to other countries", in which there is often talk about something called "Indefinite Leave to Remain" (ILR) for the UK, a term that comes quite close to the "indefinite stay visa" you were asking about.

--------------

Maestro

Was I being cocky? Oh. I thought I was just replying politely to a smart-ass. It was surely perfectly clear what I meant, whatever the visa is called permanent = indefinite stay. Which country? Have another look at the name of the forum. See the first word? The one that says 'Thai"? Which country was I enquiring about? Bolivia? So much for people helping each other out eh? Cheers.

Edited by Huw

OP may be referring to Immigration Department website which refers to a retirement visa extension as "Application for further stay to spend the remainder of life in the Kingdom of Thailand".

AjRet, thanks for this, it seems I may have heard a mixture of things so I thought I would ask. Silly me eh? But thanks for your helpful reply, your comment seems closest to what I had thought was being said, I will have a look.

H

Meerkat, I have clean record and a mil biut not sure about the healthy appetite for risk... What do I have to do?

Sorry for the uncertainty, up to now all the immigration things have been orchestrated by someone else.. now I am having to do it myself.

H

AjRet, thanks for this, it seems I may have heard a mixture of things so I thought I would ask. Silly me eh? But thanks for your helpful reply, your comment seems closest to what I had thought was being said, I will have a look.

H

Huw. You can be assured that any advise Lopbury gives you will be 100% correct. He is number 1 when it comes to Visa matters.

As he said there is no such Visa in Thailand.

Good luck with your quest to stay here.

No, you were replying with a smart ass comment to a moderator who was attempting to explain .

No, what I was doing was asking a serious question about something I didnt know about and I was greeted by a smartass moderator, or else one who probably needs some people or communication skills.

No matter, I don't like this sort of exchange on forums. Nor the attitude.

Thanks for your help, I will think twice before asking for help from here again.

Harumph!

H

Huw. You can be assured that any advise Lopbury gives you will be 100% correct. He is number 1 when it comes to Visa matters.

As he said there is no such Visa in Thailand.

Good luck with your quest to stay here.

Cheers.

I understand what the OP tries to say.He does not know who will give him a correct answer,and to overpower him like that isn't his question.What he referred too, I also read somewhere at the immigration websites regarding retirement,that you can apply after a while to stay indefinite.So do please everybody,do not rush on answers and check it out.It probarly isn't in effect or they are old rules,but how the OP knows this...........thats why he is asking in the first place.I have read this statement also and I would like to know why it is stated but does not exist......

(I know many many info is old old old,so that will probably be the aswer)

Maestro, A little more tact and thought before you start typing would have averted the flaming on this thread.

I did not see anything offensive or "cocky "in the ops posting, .What is TV coming to when it takes multiple moderators to jump all over a member.

Maestro, A little more tact and thought before you start typing would have averted the flaming on this thread.

I did not see anything offensive or "cocky "in the ops posting, .What is TV coming to when it takes multiple moderators to jump all over a member.

And then I get a warning by PM from another mod about making a disrespectful comment.

Funny old world eh?

H

:o

And then I get a warning by PM from another mod about making a disrespectful comment.

Suggest you read forum rule #2 before making another comment on this. You have 3 mods now watching.

"2) Posting another members personal details, photos or web site details is forbidden and will result in being banned. Excessive, aggressive posts against other members, moderators and admin; or flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger."

Was I being cocky? Oh. I thought I was just replying politely to a smart-ass