How long should it Really take YOU to play a round of Golf?

ASEAN NOW Golf

Thanks for the long drug out mathematics class....simply

3-1/2-4 hours foursomes is workable... longer ruins everyone’s 

game...

An engineer in our golf society very articulate around and on

the green... made a tricky shot only to be told a stroke penalty 

for breaking the flower branch that was in backswing

Agree the longer you stand over the ball good chance your over thought shot won’t be good...  over the ball don’t think to

much and swing away...

howling wind in the face 75 yards out.. ... Caddie said see that

billboard (across the water behind the green take a full swing at huhhh? Ok..  used a club that is 100 yards everyday.... dropped 2 feet from green....

Enjoy your game.. a bad day at golf is a good day drinking beers.....

• 1 month later...

Golf is not a race against time . It should be a pleasant outing with friends without being a hindrance to the group behind you .  Keep the group ahead of you in sight and do not fall back an entire hole  .  Key is getting the first group out to move at a minimum of 4 hour pace or less which should be achievable with no one in front of them . 

I find play on the greens most annoying especially when you get that chap who waits for his turn before reading his putt . Wasted precious minutes where he could have determined slope speed grain etc and then just step up and putt .  Finally had to drop one lad from our circle of players because he refused to alter his lengthy routine on the green . 

The other beauty is the chap with the longest drive and is who is 150 yards from the pin and last to hit out of the fairway . Waits till he  gets to his ball and then pulls out the rangefinder , confirms it is 150 yds , then turns to confer with his caddy . Finally agrees on the club he always hits from that distance 

and then starts his preshot routine  . 5 minutes before he actually hits the ball , Bloody painful to sit through.

18 minutes ago, smylee52 said:

Golf is not a race against time . It should be a pleasant outing with friends without being a hindrance to the group behind you .  Keep the group ahead of you in sight and do not fall back an entire hole  .  Key is getting the first group out to move at a minimum of 4 hour pace or less which should be achievable with no one in front of them . 

I find play on the greens most annoying especially when you get that chap who waits for his turn before reading his putt . Wasted precious minutes where he could have determined slope speed grain etc and then just step up and putt .  Finally had to drop one lad from our circle of players because he refused to alter his lengthy routine on the green . 

The other beauty is the chap with the longest drive and is who is 150 yards from the pin and last to hit out of the fairway . Waits till he  gets to his ball and then pulls out the rangefinder , confirms it is 150 yds , then turns to confer with his caddy . Finally agrees on the club he always hits from that distance 

and then starts his preshot routine  . 5 minutes before he actually hits the ball , Bloody painful to sit through.

I can understand all that. Slow players are truly selfish people, they often expect everyone else to slow down

• Like 1

I blame the TV and media. In the old day we just walked up and hit the ball. Nowadays everyone thinks they need to emulate De Chambles in the final round in a major or it'll cost them in shots. But the variables that the pros need to take into consideration before choosing club, shot, etc simply don't apply to your average double figure hacker. We're going to score the same whatever we do. And slow play is nothing more nor less than a bad habit.

A round of golf should be 3 hours at the outside.

I detest slow play. I play a 4 ball most Sundays and it generally takes about 3 hours in carts. Actually all of our group are quick players and we feel our weekend game has been cheated if we dont get to bitch and moan about slow play for at least 4-5 holes normally on the back 9.

On 7/28/2021 at 4:05 PM, retsdon said:

A round of golf should be 3 hours at the outside.

For a 4 ball walking in Thailand that would be very, very quick...... 

4 hours is generally accepted and that is in the UK without the heat and humidity and yes I know it can be quicker.

No excuse for this kind of slow play though -

On 7/28/2021 at 1:09 PM, smylee52 said:

that chap who waits for his turn before reading his putt .

And the shortest hitter being last to his ball...............

Experienced regularly unfortunately in the group I play in ????