What Should I Do?

This is going to be an unusual post I know, but I promise it's serious. Haha.

I am a professional comedian, and work around the world. In no way shape or form am I giving up my fun career. BUT, I have considered taking a year or two off to visit Thailand, and possibly teach english. I have an associate degree in real estate, from 15 years ago. My background before comedy was in sales. I have been a comic for 9 years, 5 years as a professional. Standup comedy is my life now but I need a break from the road.

I would love to work in Thailand. I have always thought I would be a great teacher. I also understand there are comedy clubs in Asia, that have english-speaking shows. Would I be better off at attempting to work as a comic, possibly even in Phuket or Pattaya (for tourists/ex-pats) or go ahead and take TEFL courses? I need some insight/guidance for this decision. I won't post my name/website here until someone asks, so it's not viewed as spam.

I've had this conversation with a number of friends and other comics, and they have all been supportive. Thanks in advance for any help!

Sorry, position filled. Thailand is full of comedic characters. Just visit Nana Plaza, Pattaya or Patong and you will never stop laughing. :o

Seriously, there is a club in Bangkok that has comedians come in from time to time, and they also usually make a stop in Phuket on some kind of circuit. I've always thought there should be some kind of demand for more "comedy nights" at the many clubs in Bangkok etc.. One of the issues might be the cross-cultural difficulties in humor (humour). British vs. American, etc.. Not everything works with mixed audiences. However, I think if you based in Thailand and did immerse yourself in it, there is lots and lots of Thailand-specific material that if you are a good comedian you could have lots of expats rolling in the aisles.

Sorry, position filled. Thailand is full of comedic characters. Just visit Nana Plaza, Pattaya or Patong and you will never stop laughing. :o

Seriously, there is a club in Bangkok that has comedians come in from time to time, and they also usually make a stop in Phuket on some kind of circuit. I've always thought there should be some kind of demand for more "comedy nights" at the many clubs in Bangkok etc.. One of the issues might be the cross-cultural difficulties in humor (humour). British vs. American, etc.. Not everything works with mixed audiences. However, I think if you based in Thailand and did immerse yourself in it, there is lots and lots of Thailand-specific material that if you are a good comedian you could have lots of expats rolling in the aisles.

Ok, fair enough. I did not know about any circuit. Anyone else have any more info or suggestions? Thank you so much for responding!!!

This thread is really more about other jobs than teaching, so I'm moving it to the jobs subforum. OP, anytime you need more info about teaching, we've got it in the teaching subforum.

You're right, I wasn't quite sure which area to post it in. Although, I am also curious about teaching and mentioned my background as food for feedback. I'd love to hear more opinions on my situation. Thanks!

Btw, what is OP?

Edited by tmjcomic

This thread is really more about other jobs than teaching, so I'm moving it to the jobs subforum. OP, anytime you need more info about teaching, we've got it in the teaching subforum.

You're right, I wasn't quite sure which area to post it in. Although, I am also curious about teaching and mentioned my background as food for feedback. I'd love to hear more opinions on my situation. Thanks!

Btw, what is OP?

Start here and keep reading; feel free to add your own details and questions at the end.