Million more doses of AstraZeneca delivered, 2 million more Sinovac doses due next week

snoop1130

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One of the Thai news reports posted here in the past day or so made it sound like the government already has firm contractual commitments for 100+ million doses by the end of 2021. But in fact, AFAIK, they don't.

They've talked a lot about extra Pfizer and Moderna doses and have claimed commitments at various points. But unless I've missed something, I haven't seen any news of actual real binding contracts having been executed with clear and specified delivery schedules for those vaccines.

This is the latest I've seen re Pfizer doses:

"BANGKOK, June 11 (Reuters) - Thailand has signed a purchase order for 20 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine develop by Pfizer (PFE.N) and BioNTech (22UAy.DE) to be delivered before the end of this year, its health minister said.

Details of the deal, delivery timeframe and the vaccine's approval by the Food and Drug Administration would be worked out in about a month, Thai Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Thursday.

Thailand also plan to buy 5 million doses of Johnson & Johnson's (JNJ.N) single-shot vaccine within this year, Anutin said."

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/thailand-books-20-mln-doses-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccines-2021-06-11/

So, if they have a firm and binding deal, why does the second paragraph of the article then go on to say -- "Details of the deal, delivery timeframe and the vaccine's approval by the Food and Drug Administration would be worked out in about a month"? And a BKK Post article on the same day said another detail yet to be resolved at that point was the PRICE!  What kind of "contract" is that?

Any agreement for J&J doses supposedly is less far along.

And as for the 5-6 million Moderna doses to be distributed via private hospitals... that supposedly has to happen via a contract involving the Government Pharmaceutical Organization.  And the last update I saw in the BKK Post several days ago said they still haven't reached any agreement as yet for those doses.

So there's still a lot of vague and uncertain pieces in Thailand's vaccine puzzle at this point, especially in terms of vaccine doses that are going to be here available for use before the end of the current calendar year.

Agreed.

I think they are trying to create a smokescreen of encouraging comments intimating all sorts of vaccines arearriving, when in actual fact just hoping that AZ production  will come up trumps and then topping up with sinovac.

the other vaccines may arrive at some point,  but I don’t think it can be relied upon, certainly not in any quantity this year.

an unfortunate state of affairs.

• Like 1