Second Tourist Visa Oz

My thai girlfriend was granted a three month tourist visa to Australia and is currently in Australia.

She has to return at the end of next month and what i was wondering is if i need to go through the same process to get another tourist visa for her.

eg another stat dec, copy of tabien bahn, proof of income, photos etc

Tolley: Firstly, congratulation on getting your Thai GF a Tourist Visa. I am in the same situation as you. My Thai BF is with me in Australia and due to return to Thailand at the end of July.

I have been told the Australian Embassy in Bangkok keeps a copy of all documents when a visa application is lodged.

According to the Dept of Immigration and Citizenship's website I think our best bet is to give them a call on 131881, Monday to Friday, between 9am and 4pm.

One phone call could save a lot of unnecessary paperwork, time and effort.

Peter

The process for a second tourist visa is usually straightforward and virtually rubber stamped, provided all conditions on her first visa were strictly adhered to. You are able to use most of the same papers that you submitted for the first.

More than likely she will get a multiple entry visa on the second occasion but may have to submit to a medical check prior to the visa being granted.

The application will need to be submitted in LOS.

My thai girlfriend was granted a three month tourist visa to Australia and is currently in Australia.

She has to return at the end of next month and what i was wondering is if i need to go through the same process to get another tourist visa for her.

eg another stat dec, copy of tabien bahn, proof of income, photos etc

Yes...

As MM pointed out though that you shouldnt have any problems....

The process for a second tourist visa is usually straightforward and virtually rubber stamped, provided all conditions on her first visa were strictly adhered to. You are able to use most of the same papers that you submitted for the first.

More than likely she will get a multiple entry visa on the second occasion but may have to submit to a medical check prior to the visa being granted.

The application will need to be submitted in LOS.

Thanks MM. You said most of the papers. Do you know which ones may have to be resubmitted. I wont be going back to Thailand this time so it is imperative that i do everything i can this end as she cannot read or write English.

Thanks MM. You said most of the papers. Do you know which ones may have to be resubmitted. I wont be going back to Thailand this time so it is imperative that i do everything i can this end as she cannot read or write English.

I don't know what you submitted for the first application and I don't know whether you tried to prove a 'genuine and continuing relationship'.

If you did, then this could be an ideal opportunity to build upon the proofs of the relationship, particularly if you plan to apply for a spouse visa in the future.

If you are acting as your partners sponsor, you will need to prove that sufficient finances exist to fund her stay in Oz.

I'm assuming that you did this for the first visa so virtually the same papers can be used again....or more recent bank statements, pay slips, certificate of earnings from your pay master etc.

If your partner submitted a letter from her employer stating that her job would be kept open until her return, you might have to update this letter however, if you are hopeful of gaining a multiple entry visa or a long term visa (6 -12 months) such a letter may work against your hopes. It would need to be worded in such a way so to show that her job will be kept open irrespective of any extended stay in Oz.

She will need to provide a compelling reason to return to Thailand. I assume you did this for the first visa so something similar for the second should suffice.

Your stat. decs., photos, emails, letters etc can all be used again. If you provided a certified copy of your passport as proof of your identity, you can use this again.

Now that she has been to Oz and met your family, friends and neighbours, you should be able to obtain more stat. decs. from them that support the application.

You won't really need these for a second tourist visa but they will be very handy for a spouse visa application.

Write another covering letter stating what you would prefer with regard to the duration of the tourist visa, the reason for requesting a second tourist visa and giving the usual assurances that any and all visa conditions will be obeyed. She should also write a covering letter stating similar things.

Whatever you both submitted for the first visa was obviously sufficient so there is no need to go overboard for the second application but if you can make it a bit stronger than the first, success if virtually assured.

As stated in my previous post the Embassy may require a medical check from her. If the Embassy is considering a tourist visa exceeding three months duration they sometimes insist on a TB check up. I'm not suggesting that she have this before submitting the application but you had better inform her that this may be a requirement and advise her where she will need to go should such a condition be made.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

I don't know what you submitted for the first application and I don't know whether you tried to prove a 'genuine and continuing relationship'.

If you did, then this could be an ideal opportunity to build upon the proofs of the relationship, particularly if you plan to apply for a spouse visa in the future.

If you are acting as your partners sponsor, you will need to prove that sufficient finances exist to fund her stay in Oz.

I'm assuming that you did this for the first visa so virtually the same papers can be used again....or more recent bank statements, pay slips, certificate of earnings from your pay master etc.

If your partner submitted a letter from her employer stating that her job would be kept open until her return, you might have to update this letter however, if you are hopeful of gaining a multiple entry visa or a long term visa (6 -12 months) such a letter may work against your hopes. It would need to be worded in such a way so to show that her job will be kept open irrespective of any extended stay in Oz.

She will need to provide a compelling reason to return to Thailand. I assume you did this for the first visa so something similar for the second should suffice.

Your stat. decs., photos, emails, letters etc can all be used again. If you provided a certified copy of your passport as proof of your identity, you can use this again.

Now that she has been to Oz and met your family, friends and neighbours, you should be able to obtain more stat. decs. from them that support the application.

You won't really need these for a second tourist visa but they will be very handy for a spouse visa application.

Write another covering letter stating what you would prefer with regard to the duration of the tourist visa, the reason for requesting a second tourist visa and giving the usual assurances that any and all visa conditions will be obeyed. She should also write a covering letter stating similar things.

Whatever you both submitted for the first visa was obviously sufficient so there is no need to go overboard for the second application but if you can make it a bit stronger than the first, success if virtually assured.

As stated in my previous post the Embassy may require a medical check from her. If the Embassy is considering a tourist visa exceeding three months duration they sometimes insist on a TB check up. I'm not suggesting that she have this before submitting the application but you had better inform her that this may be a requirement and advise her where she will need to go should such a condition be made.

Thanks MM

A very comprehensice answer and exactly what i needed.

You are indeed a super mouse!!

• 2 months later...

Thanks again guys.

We were successful and had the choice of a straight six months visa or 12 month visa exit every three months.

We took the later option.

Just one question is it possible to keep on getting tourist visas like this ad infinitum?

.... is it possible to keep on getting tourist visas like this ad infinitum?

No.

You have chosen the 12 month multiple entry option. It would be very doubtful that you would get another tourist visa.

There are plenty of nice jewellery shops in Oz. A big diamond purchase will be the start of your future. Good luck. :o

• 10 months later...

The second tourist visa will expire in about six weeks and we are now considering applying for a spouse visa.

I have a couple of questions for the experts.

1. Is there anything that we can do to speed up the process while we are both in Australia?

2. I have only about three weeks available to travel to Thailand in late August. Will this be enough time to do what i need to do?

3. I am not a permanent resident of Australia but am an Australian citizen. Is this likely to present any difficulties?

4. Can we use the documentation we used in our previous tourist applications?

5. Any guidelines to how long the process might take?

The second tourist visa will expire in about six weeks and we are now considering applying for a spouse visa.

1. Is there anything that we can do to speed up the process while we are both in Australia?

2. I have only about three weeks available to travel to Thailand in late August. Will this be enough time to do what i need to do?

3. I am not a permanent resident of Australia but am an Australian citizen. Is this likely to present any difficulties?

1...Start getting your paperwork done now....especially the 3 stat decs.

2...I never went there for my wifes......you dont need to be there...it is her application.

3...If you are based O/S then they will want to know why you want a spouse visa to Oz if you dont live here.

4...Yes....

5...Depends on how you go about it....the normal is about 8-10 weeks.

Edited by gburns57au

1...Start getting your paperwork done now....especially the 3 stat decs.

2...I never went there for my wifes......you dont need to be there...it is her application.

3...If you are based O/S then they will want to know why you want a spouse visa to Oz if you dont live here.

4...Yes....

5...Depends on how you go about it....the normal is about 8-10 weeks.

Thanks for that.

We do intend to live in Australia and i am working there at the moment but I do IT contracting work which takes me to different countries and because i spent so much time out of the country it was the taxation department or immigration who made me a non resident.

Are the links to the Australian Immigration website the best source for what documentation we need or is there a link to a checklist somewhere on this website with what we need to do?

Thanks for that.

We do intend to live in Australia and i am working there at the moment but I do IT contracting work which takes me to different countries and because i spent so much time out of the country it was the taxation department or immigration who made me a non resident.

Are the links to the Australian Immigration website the best source for what documentation we need or is there a link to a checklist somewhere on this website with what we need to do?

Pretty much....

Pay attention to the two application forms and the Partner Migration booklet.

There is a separate check list in there somewhere...cant remember exactly where at this time.

As far as Immigration are concerned, if you are an Australian Citizen you cannot be classified as either a permanent resident or a non resident. You are a citizen.

You have to travel in and out of Australia on an Oz passport and cannot hold an Australian visa.

Perhaps Tax have classified you differently for taxation purposes.

As far as Immigration are concerned, if you are an Australian Citizen you cannot be classified as either a permanent resident or a non resident. You are a citizen.

You have to travel in and out of Australia on an Oz passport and cannot hold an Australian visa.

Perhaps Tax have classified you differently for taxation purposes.

Tolly that is my understanding to, if you are only a perm resident then I do not think that you will have an Australian Passport, and therefore have to get re-entry visas in your original countries passport.

Once you become an Australian Citizen, you can then have a valid Australian passport and can then come and go as you please.

The tax office may classify you different if none of your wages are paid into an Australian Bank Account.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys :D

I am in a similar position to the original poster. I'm looking for a 2nd visa to Australia

My Thai girlfriend was granted a 3 month tourist visa ( applied for 3 month visa ) which she used over the 2007 / 2008 Christmas period, and has returned back to Thailand.

We both want her to return to Australia for a longer period this time.

If we apply for a 6 month or 12 month visa, is she required to leave the country every 3 months or can she stay 12 months in a single stretch ?

If visa runs are required, how easy would it be to get a tourist visa to travel to NZ for a quick 1 week holiday ?

on another matter

I have found a local English school that offers a General English course of 15 hrs part time or 20 hrs full time.

Do you think it would be better to apply for a student visa as this would allow her to work up to 20 hrs a week as part of her visa ?

I'm getting a little confused and can not decide which is the best way forward for us.

Any suggestions and help is most appreciated.

:o

If we apply for a 6 month or 12 month visa, is she required to leave the country every 3 months or can she stay 12 months in a single stretch ?

If visa runs are required, how easy would it be to get a tourist visa to travel to NZ for a quick 1 week holiday ?

on another matter

I have found a local English school that offers a General English course of 15 hrs part time or 20 hrs full time.

Do you think it would be better to apply for a student visa as this would allow her to work up to 20 hrs a week as part of her visa ?

If she is granted a multi entry visa she will have to leave every three months...If she is granted a straight 6 or 12 month visa...she wont have to.

Not sure about NZ visas but it has been done before....Bali is another option.

I dont think she would get the student visa on that basis.....for a student visa she would have to be registered with an Educational Institution prior to applying.

• 1 month later...

My Tilac has just collected her 6 month Tourist Visa. ( Her 2nd visa to Oz )

She will be here in OZ over Christmas and new year again.

I found a local Language school that do a general English course. AUD $10 per hour for 15 hours per week.

As we included the intent to go to school for 10 weeks, she was required to get a medical exam / x-ray ( as per the visa regulations )

Thanks again for all the advice from Thaivisa.com

:o