Phuket Sandbox: Tourists might be able to drink alcohol in restaurants

webfact

Nobody has ever defined that intelligibly. I can understand crowded bars, and clubs, where you have to shout to be heard, and in the process you release alot of spittle. But a restaurant? Why? It only appears to be an additional hardship for hundreds of thousands who are only trying to make a living, and patrons who are only trying to let off a little steam and enjoy some much needed recreation. If anything, allowing drinking in restaurants brings down the national crime rates!

So, where is the science? If anything the shutdown of restaurants likely causes more harm, than good. Both psychologically for the population, and financially for the community and the families involved in running the restaurant.

Witnesses called by the Restaurant Association of Maryland argued that the city’s dining ban and lockdown measures like it were causing irreparable economic and psychological harm. They added that the restaurant shutdown, which went into effect in December, had not reduced the number of COVID-19 cases in Baltimore.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/food-drink/bs-fo-restaurant-shutdown-debate-20210114-xgaijws76ngb5kmviijh23saoi-story.html

Despite orders to suspend outdoor dining in Los Angeles County amid an increase in coronavirus cases, Eyewitness News has found restaurants have been linked to less than 4% of coronavirus outbreaks in non-residential settings, according to data from L.A. County. "I feel like the restaurant industry was basically used as a pawn," Barger said, "as there is no logic and that is my frustration, you know what I hear is the inconsistencies that continue to take place not only in the county but in the state as well, have put people in a situation where there's a lack of trust in the people making these decisions because they seem very arbitrary and very random."

https://abc7.com/covid-19-data-restaurants-outdoor-dining/8235279/

Nonsensical stupidity. Lack of science. Fear mongering. Let us make your stay as uncomfortable as possible. And by the way, you cannot consume alcohol either, during your quarantine. Who comes up with this stuff, and why does the nation tolerate the nonsense, the utter incompetence, the malfeasance? How much longer will they tolerate the extremely regressive army?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

you may qualify for a special alcohol VIP certificate

now I remember many decades ago, I had an "All India Liquor Pass" to be shown at Bombay hotel bars etc. ...

7 hours ago, pkrv said:

Well that'll open the floodgates and offset the issue have having to be GPS tagged while you're there won't it? Why they'll be stampeding through the gates to get into this holiday wonderland...

I have to say TAT should be a comedy act at the Apollo .. I double up with laughter every changing day and the lack of them knowing the market 55555555555

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

They're putting a chip in your butt? Sorry but this is a step too far...

Please dont show your ignorance of the English language, a butty is a sandwich . You have stepped too far sir 

I can't understand why Thailand has this ridiculous attitude towards alcohol. I am sure it makes no difference whether serving alcohol or not!! A government of maiden aunts wanting to restrict everything for the sake of restriction. Let adults make their own decisions, dad!!!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I believe this will happen some time soon after July 1 when the number of arrivals are low.

But, it will only take one of the variants to slip through creating a major spread and probably another shut down..

Hope not.  Good luck to Phuket, will be watching to see how it works out

I don't understand Thailand officials obsession with alcohol bans during alleged COVID precaution periods.  I'm no fan of alcohol, but I simply can't see the link and why they feel alcohol bans will do anything to help or improve the situation.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

There is a small chance that tourists visiting Phuket under the ‘Sandbox’ project will be able to drink alcohol, albeit in restaurants, when they start arriving from July 1.

Might be able to... only in restaurants.. forget it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smedly said:

we might allow lol

maybe it will depend on how much money you are spending - if you hit a certain provable level on the first week you may qualify for a special alcohol VIP certificate .................................Amazing 

Majority of restaurants in Phuket with local connections never stopped serving alcohol ????. They just serve it to you in a paper cup. Just have to ask. A restaurant opened a bottle of champagne ???? for me last night in blatant police view and police laughed  as they walked by, giving me a high five. Was on beach ???? this morning drinking Le Chouffes, officer walked by and took a selfie with me. He clearly saw the beer but didn’t care. Strip clubs and bars are still open, you just need to know where to go. Marijuana still being sold on certain beaches that are still happening at night ( there are only 2 ). No one that lives in Phuket takes any of these rules seriously. People coming to Phuket by yacht all year long, bypassing customs and quarantine completely. Everyone else driving up from Malaysia or getting Covid  elite visa. We will see how it is for tourists but like most things in Thailand, I seriously doubt any of these rules will be enforced. This is just for show. Time will tell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, I might think about it!????????

I have family and friends just dying to visit but when they got to go through the C.O.E. process, buy unreasonable insurance coverage and premiums, get tested 72 hours prior, on arrival need to quarantine in the sandbox 14 days strap on a tracing device, get tested another 3 times prior to release.

Just because you throw in the word " Might " be able to have a class of wine with your meal although you have been vaccinated already with the Pfizer and Moderna.

Edited by thailand49
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

While some restrictions remain in place, restaurants in yellow zone provinces are allowed to open as normal, including being able to serve alcohol. 

Odd that, because CM is in the yellow, but there's no alcohol in restaurants.

1 hour ago, amdy2206 said:

I can't understand why Thailand has this ridiculous attitude towards alcohol. I am sure it makes no difference whether serving alcohol or not!! A government of maiden aunts wanting to restrict everything for the sake of restriction. Let adults make their own decisions, dad!!!   

Fake puritans. A false front. Nothing there. Only fraudulent empty suits. 

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

Still can't see many tourists coming even if they can get alcohol 

Served in a restaurant 

who is going to come with the restrictions Quarantine measures still in place 

We will find out July 1st????

True.

I suspect it will only be those with wives/family/businesses trying to get back into Thailand.

I for one will not be, even though i lived there happily for many years.

Ironically,

i remember not long ago, folks were nervous about going through Don Muang,

where Immigration officers were denying people entry, saying

"You stay Thailand to long"

Oh my, how things change.

• Like 1

The headline makes it sound like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Guess what!!!???  You MIGHT be able to drink alcohol in a restaurant!!!   Oh, wow.  Let me rush out and book my flight.  Oh, wait.  I'm already here.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, itsari said:

Please dont show your ignorance of the English language, a butty is a sandwich . You have stepped too far sir 

I think you are joking with me but if not, then of course I know what a chip butty is. I've eaten enough of them in my time...

Just now, Chelseafan said:

I think you are joking with me but if not, then of course I know what a chip butty is. I've eaten enough of them in my time...

I was joking indeed , nice to meet you

• Haha 1