Third wave of Covid-19 devastates Thai hotel industry - May/June only 6% occupancy

webfact

3 hours ago, connda said:

I've lived here almost a decade and a half and dump about 1 million baht into the economy each year and I'm still treated like scum.

That's a lot of barfines.

Sincerely 

MORRIS

Ex Bar Owner 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, SwampyThai said:

At the moment only 38% of hotels nationwide are operating normally with 41% operating in some capacity and 20% closed temporarily. 

So what happened to the other 1%?

That must be the one in Pedant Khirikhan. 

11 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

My Thai wife finally got an inoculation appointment... August 5th. Mind you, that is a date, no shot yet.

How do they expect to "open the kingdom" with only about 6% vaccination?

I would find it very foolish to go on holiday in Thailand but that's just me.  

And I suspect there are lots just like me.  The health care system is stretched and nobody is travelling.  Not to mention the extra expense of covid insurance, and regular insurance is way up particularly when people travel against your countries advice.  

Some will, but it won't be nearly as much as they are saying.  And that's if they don't do a 180 which they probably will do.  Too bad for those that booked travel to go to a country scared and locked down.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

And now the accurate headline... 

"Thai Overreaction and Unwarranted Panic to Covid-19 Devastates Hotel Industry...and the Entire Kingdom for Years to Come" 

Or anyone spreading untruths and showing Thailand in a bad light will be Arrested.

19 hours ago, ezzra said:

I for one, feel sorry for the devastated tourism industry over all... but It would be a safe bet to add July August September and October to the grim statistics, as non of the wishful number of visitors anticipated to come will come... 

Hotels used for the 14 day quarantine are bucking the trend. 

How they do that? 

Better let me rest of the hotels know. 

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

The hotels and restaurants, plus many large businesses are owned by a group of very rich and powerful 

people.  My guess is that these rich people see that their profits are falling a lot, and they have started

telling their puppet government, and tourism people to get planning on opening up Thailand to international

tourism again.     It certainly is not the regular and poor people who own most of the large businesses.

A big point to ponder.

Geezer

While China holds its people back from travel, Thailand has many real estate bargains available. 

According to Thaiger, bars in Huahin are already relocating to soi 94 as Bindabart and the likes are prime Real Estate, by the time the Chinese floodgates open Thailand that we knew will be all over, bar girls will have moved on to the digital tech world. The Wuhan express will open and LOS will be China's playground. 

I wonder if they will fix the smelly drains around Bindabart, and all the smelly ones all over Thailand, I have to put a sack over the drain outside my house, then someone steals it so I have to keep a few spares. 

17 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Wait for the borders to open in October... you'll get no assistance what-so-ever... sink or swim will be Prayuts answer.

You can bet that the unelected "PM" will be happy to reopen the borders again, just wait and see what he uses for more income from the tourists and expats.

Don't think for a minute that it's going to just be a case of booking a flight to Thailand and turning up at the airport and jumping in a plane like before the virus came.

There will be some financials involved, like some sort of insurance, or other hoop jumping costs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Oh! So that's how his name was mentioned earlier, not being a fan, I find it hard to know any of his songs, my apologies. ????

• Like 1

i have been living in hotel rooms in Bangkok for months since last June.

i am in a very nice room now normally 2850 baht for only 573 baht.

maid service everyday, room service, super nice bed, Netflix, Grab, FoodPanda and ThaiFriendly. 

• Like 1

Well it’s not,

that the „Third wave of Covid-19 devastates Thai hotel industry“

... unless SARS-Cov2 has gained more abilities and is now attacking also booking computers, buildings, lifts, kitchens ...

What devastates them are the laws and regulations of governments and officials (worldwide),

they consider appropriate

to fight the WHO declared pandemic.

• Like 2

Songkran 2021.   Why did they let this occur.  

1) cancel again-. Healthy but mad people.  Youth healthy with more  support than ever. 

2). Let songkran happen.  My buddy gets to open his new tollway. My other buddy sells lots of gas and snacks at his highway stores. 

Thai people happy.  Lockdowns will prevent any uprising because we can extend the emergency orders.   

Can't really blame a virus on me. 

Everyone will be dependent on the government for vaccine.  We won't even let private sector bring in vaccines.   Thailand will be saved by it's local production of shots.  

• Like 1