New biosafety labs unveiled, AstraZeneca vaccine to be donated by Japan in July

webfact

Screenshot-10.jpg

A biosafety lab, for tests on COVID-19 and other new diseases, jointly developed by Japan and Thailand’s Department of Medical Sciences, was unveiled today (Monday). Japan has also pledged a donation of AstraZeneca vaccine to Thailand in July.

Thai Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul chaired the handover ceremony of the National Institute of Health Renovated Laboratories (Level 2 and 3), by Japanese Ambassador Nashida Kazuya. The ฿38.6m laboratories were funded by the Japanese government, through the World Health Organization (WHO).

Thailand’s National Institute of Health Level 3 lab was designed to prevent the leak of diseases, while research on high-risk pathogens is conducted. It will be used for isolation of viruses for microbial culture, genetic material extraction and storage of new disease samples for use in autopsies and further studies in medical sciences and disease control, as well as drug and vaccine developments.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/new-biosafety-labs-unveiled-astrazeneca-vaccine-to-be-donated-by-japan-in-july/

Logo-top-.png

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

unspecified date of delivery

Japan has also pledged a donation of AstraZeneca vaccine to Thailand in July

They just forgot to mention which year ????

48 minutes ago, webfact said:

A biosafety lab, for tests on COVID-19 and other new diseases, jointly developed by Japan and Thailand’s Department of Medical Sciences, was unveiled today

Oh goody!!! So now they'll be 'gain of function' research done in the backyard.  I can see it now. 

News At 6
"Global pandemic declared by the WHO today as a deadly SARS bird-flu jumps from chickens to humans in a wet-market adjacent to the Thailand's National Institute of Health Renovated Laboratories (BSL2-3). When asked if this could be a lab leak our reporters were told, 'Nothing to see here, move along.'"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Neilly said:

They just forgot to mention which year ????

I did read July, but there are 31 days, so classified it as unspecified. A month isn’t a date. A vague reference to a month means that nothing has actually been settled. I’d need to know day and flight number before I gave it any credence.

and you’re right about the year……

Edited by wensiensheng

24 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Is it just me? Thailand conducting research on high risk pathogens sends a shiver down my spine.

The statement from Anutin that Thailand will become a ASEAN hub for lab safety and bio security brought a smile to my face however.

and of course, no government press conference these days is complete without an announcement of more vaccines to be received in the near future, albeit unspecified amounts and unspecified date of delivery.

Fear not they have world leading Google virologist here ????

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, connda said:

Global pandemic declared by the WHO today as a deadly SARS bird-flu jumps from chickens to humans in a wet-market adjacent to the Thailand's National Institute of Health Renovated Laboratories (BSL2-3). When asked if this could be a lab leak our reporters were told, 'Nothing to see here, move along.'"

I read about that a week or so ago. However, the Chinese have said that it is nothing to worry about and who would disbelieve them?

• Haha 1

Japan has also pledged to donate an unspecified amount of AstraZeneca vaccine, an agreement for which will be signed on Thursday and delivered in July, he added.

Unspecified amount? Why keep it a secret?

Maybe it's a swap?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s National Institute of Health Level 3 lab was designed to prevent the leak of diseases, while research on high-risk pathogens is conducted. It will be used for isolation of viruses for microbial culture, genetic material extraction and storage of new disease samples for use in autopsies and further studies in medical sciences and disease control, as well as drug and vaccine developments.

Another Wuhan in the making.

I read some of the previous posts and cheered me up a little. Thanks. As for the unspecified amount of the AZ donation from Japan, however little, and whatever the reasons, if it helps to get me out of my daily depression and puts a little more light at the end of the long long dark tunnel then please get it to Thailand. It will be welcome and is needed for sure!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Thailand to receive another hand out, this time from Japan..... 

Yet, they are selling Thailands locally produced AZ to the Philippines and another Countries, 

Words fail me.... ????

Don't think they have actually sold any yet, and little news about the home grown producer either

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

s it just me? Thailand conducting research on high risk pathogens sends a shiver down my spin

I ran across a news story that listed a number of countries involved in the covid coronavirus bat research and Thailand was one of them. I didn't want to post the story here simply because all the issues surrounding fake (real) news.

The country's really amazing how it goes hat in hand when it feels it needs to but stands full of false pride in other times.

So how many nations has Thailand already grabbed a vaccine from perhaps half a dozen?? Nevertheless, look where we still are.

Edited by kynikoi
  • Like 2

I'd have thought Thailand would be more ashamed than proud about having to take Japanese charity for a measly 38.6 million baht, instead of being able to afford it themselves. If they can't afford to build the labs I bet they certainly can't afford their proper upkeep.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

The country's really amazing how it goes hat in hand when it feels it needs to but stands full of false pride in other times.

So how many nations has Thailand already grabbed a vaccine from perhaps half a dozen?? Nevertheless, look where we still are.

Fair play, figuring out how to squeeze the utmost juice out of free donations, and who gets what share of the pie, takes the best flour-exporting minds the cabinet has.

1 hour ago, bangsaenguy said:

Has SiamBioscience actually produced any?

It's feeling unlikely that have produced many, or perhaps none.

I'd guess the AZ that came in a few weeks back, was flown in from elsewhere to make it look like they did.

Other countries in the region that ordered and expected from SB have also received none yet.

SB was always a poor choice.

6 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Is it just me? Thailand conducting research on high risk pathogens sends a shiver down my spine.

The statement from Anutin that Thailand will become a ASEAN hub for lab safety and bio security brought a smile to my face however.

and of course, no government press conference these days is complete without an announcement of more vaccines to be received in the near future, albeit unspecified amounts and unspecified date of delivery.

You are not alone. 

This is one hub I really really don't wish to see here.

1 hour ago, DLock said:

It's feeling unlikely that have produced many, or perhaps none.

I'd guess the AZ that came in a few weeks back, was flown in from elsewhere to make it look like they did.

Other countries in the region that ordered and expected from SB have also received none yet.

SB was always a poor choice.

Yes, and it begs the question as to why AstraZaneca ever gave them a licence.

7 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Yes, and it begs the question as to why AstraZaneca ever gave them a licence.

It is hard to imagine that SB was the best choice for an Asean vaccine manufacturer given they had only ever manufactured 2 bio-pharmaceutical products previously, and had no vaccine manufacturing experience at all...

...and yet, SB refuse to talk to the media, do not invite media to their launch events, and no one can talk openly about the decision, or the failure to launch.

...and the rumors persist that the June 6th AZ vaccines were actually imported from South Korea.

Thailand bet their entire vaccine strategy on SB and AZ...and it looks like it may have backfired.

3 minutes ago, DLock said:

It is hard to imagine that SB was the best choice for an Asean vaccine manufacturer given they had only ever manufactured 2 bio-pharmaceutical products previously, and had no vaccine manufacturing experience at all...

...and yet, SB refuse to talk to the media, do not invite media to their launch events, and no one can talk openly about the decision, or the failure to launch.

...and the rumors persist that the June 6th AZ vaccines were actually imported from South Korea.

Thailand bet their entire vaccine strategy on SB and AZ...and it looks like it may have backfired.

Yes, but it was AstraZaneca who would have had to have licenced them to produce the AZ vaccine. Now, they are a big pharmaceutical company. They can do their own research, their own due diligence and everything else involved in assessing a potential licensee. So, what went wrong, if indeed, it has gone wrong, in the assessment process?