Close to tears........

Surelynot

8 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I've noticed if I sit on the edge of the bed, but then support my upper body weight using my arms and hands the pain is relieved....... hoping it is not disc related!!.......I am now upright after 24 hours and can walk very very gingerly........hoping that is a good sign?

Ok, it's possible that a disc has herniated, given that the pain is relieved when you do as above.

However, it could just be inflammation.

If it doesn't improve then an MRI  - about 8kbt, will give you the answer.

For the last 4 months I had severe sciatica from an l4/5 herniation. The pain was absolutely vile.

Had a Microdisectomy 3 weeks ago. 100% better.

4 minutes ago, faraday said:

Ok, it's possible that a disc has herniated, given that the pain is relieved when you do as above.

For the last 4 months I had severe sciatica from an l4/5 herniation. The pain was absolutely vile.

Ouch......painful for you AND you wallet?

Where did you get your surgery done?

Good to hear you are 100%

Just now, Surelynot said:

Ouch......painful for you AND you wallet?

Where did you get your surgery done?

Good to hear you are 100%

Fort Prajak army hospital, Udon Thani.

Cost including an MRI, was approximately 70k baht, with a private room for 2 nights.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Obviously I am not a doctor and you shouldn't listen to me, but it might be your sacroiliac joint, where the coccyx fits into the pelvis.......strained mine badly shifting bags of sand when I was a teenager.......not that helps you any!!!!!

That sounds about right. I did the same as a youngster and it rears its head every now and gain. I was feeling not too bad this morning and like an idiot went out to cut some bamboo to relieve my boredom. Its hit me again. What do they say. 'There's no fool like an old fool.' Of which my wife repeatedly reminds me.????

• Haha 1

I had sciatica once back in the UK. Standing up was very painful and walking was agony, 10 metres would take me 3 or 4 minutes! I was given paracetamol and codeine but it didn't help. Sitting in a car seat was fine - little pain and could drive. But setees, normal armchairs and beds were hard to get up from. Took about 10-12 days to recover.

Since coming to Thailand, my back definitely got worse - and i think the setees and loungers here are part of the problem. After my last 'bout' of back pain, i went out and bought a cottage style armchair (high upright back. high armrests) and it has helped a lot - keeps your back straighter and you can push yourselves up with the armrests, so less strain when standing up. Still have to be careful when bending and crouching, but pain a lot better. Also, get a walking stick - cheap here but helps when pushing yourself up from a low position.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Fort Prajak army hospital, Udon Thani.

Cost including an MRI, was approximately 70k baht, with a private room for 2 nights.

Not too bad.....certainly when taking into account the positive outcome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gandtee said:

That sounds about right. I did the same as a youngster and it rears its head every now and gain. I was feeling not too bad this morning and like an idiot went out to cut some bamboo to relieve my boredom. Its hit me again. What do they say. 'There's no fool like an old fool.' Of which my wife repeatedly reminds me.????

Hahaha......yes! over the years I have 'caught it'.....I think there is just a little bit of relative motion between the two surfaces and it flairs up.

6 minutes ago, faraday said:

congratulations.     if i may ask :    where did you do it ?    DR ?    Approx cost ?

(lets hope i don't need one   lol )

after you finished..... is there "recovery time" ?      and exercise program ?  

sorry if off topic a bit.......... but  any personal experiences should be of interest to many reading this OP

edit:  see you have just answered most of what i ask   ????

Edited by rumak

4 minutes ago, rickudon said:

I had sciatica once back in the UK. Standing up was very painful and walking was agony, 10 metres would take me 3 or 4 minutes! I was given paracetamol and codeine but it didn't help. Sitting in a car seat was fine - little pain and could drive. But setees, normal armchairs and beds were hard to get up from. Took about 10-12 days to recover.

Since coming to Thailand, my back definitely got worse - and i think the setees and loungers here are part of the problem. After my last 'bout' of back pain, i went out and bought a cottage style armchair (high upright back. high armrests) and it has helped a lot - keeps your back straighter and you can push yourselves up with the armrests, so less strain when standing up. Still have to be careful when bending and crouching, but pain a lot better. Also, get a walking stick - cheap here but helps when pushing yourself up from a low position.

Standing up is a killer at the moment ......come up at 90......then, hands on thighs, slowly push myself upright......once I am there....not too bad......happy days......NOT GETTING A WALKING STICK.....my kids would be merciless.......5555

10 minutes ago, faraday said:

from google : Even though microdiscectomy recovery times are generally much faster than more invasive spinal surgeries, they're still major procedures that involve general anesthetic. As such, they require careful oversight prior to medical personnel releasing you to return home.

you are a brave man.   many dread having any surgery on the spine ....... myself included.

I guess if i was in constant pain i would , however,  choose to do .   

• Like 1

Just now, Surelynot said:

Standing up is a killer at the moment ......come up at 90......then, hands on thighs, slowly push myself upright......once I am there....not too bad......happy days......NOT GETTING A WALKING STICK.....my kids would be merciless.......5555

it helps old man !   and you can beat the kids if they snicker !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I'm thinking of raising the height of my bed so that I don't have haul myself up. It's like going through a cockpit check before I stand up. I'm not looking forward to old age.????

• Haha 1

Just now, Gandtee said:

I'm thinking of raising the height of my bed so that I don't have haul myself up. It's like going through a cockpit check before I stand up. I'm not looking forward to old age.????

Ha.......yes one leg, next leg, steady up..........take a breath....3, 2, 1,.....lift off.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, rumak said:

from google : Even though microdiscectomy recovery times are generally much faster than more invasive spinal surgeries, they're still major procedures that involve general anesthetic. As such, they require careful oversight prior to medical personnel releasing you to return home.

you are a brave man.   many dread having any surgery on the spine ....... myself included.

I guess if i was in constant pain i would , however,  choose to do .   

I had a Spinal Block & IV Propofol for sleep.

I dreaded it, & unfortunately there seems to be many people who say it all went wrong for them. 

Seriously, I think some people troll the medical health forums as well. I've seen it on tvf also.

The incision was maybe 6cm, but although it's closed up now, there is a little scar tissue which irritates.

Apologies Surelynot, I'm not trying to highjack your thread. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, faraday said:

I had a Spinal Block & IV Propofol for sleep.

I dreaded it, & unfortunately there seems to be many people who say it all went wrong for them. 

Seriously, I think some people troll the medical health forums as well. I've seen it on tvf also.

The incision was maybe 6cm, but although it's closed up now, there is a little scar tissue which irritates.

Apologies Surelynot, I'm not trying to highjack your thread. 

Not a problem....always surprises me that posters try to police the content......people want to talk and exchange information......these threads things naturally spread their wings,

• Like 2

You could be having a muscle spasm which is the bodies way of protecting itself especially the lower back or neck. Had mine in the UK and an osteopath sorted me out and got me standing and moving properly. Bit of a miracle in that I went in to see him doubled up and came out walking upright. He taught me some simple exercises that I could do if it happened again. Tried to locate one in Pattaya but could only find chiropractors who wouldn't treat me because I wasn't in pain? I do have continuing mobility problems so it wasn't a complete cure but no repeat spasming. I did try seeing an Orthopedic surgeon at BP who exrayed me and wanted to do an MRI followed up by a quick lower back fusion all in 3 days. I declined and discussed with my UK osteopath who confirmed my feelings that this was an overaction based on getting the max fees in fast.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

You could be having a muscle spasm which is the bodies way of protecting itself especially the lower back or neck. Had mine in the UK and an osteopath sorted me out and got me standing and moving properly. Bit of a miracle in that I went in to see him doubled up and came out walking upright. He taught me some simple exercises that I could do if it happened again. Tried to locate one in Pattaya but could only find chiropractors who wouldn't treat me because I wasn't in pain? I do have continuing mobility problems so it wasn't a complete cure but no repeat spasming. I did try seeing an Orthopedic surgeon at BP who exrayed me and wanted to do an MRI followed up by a quick lower back fusion all in 3 days. I declined and discussed with my UK osteopath who confirmed my feelings that this was an overaction based on getting the max fees in fast.

Yep....going to go steady for a week or two, see how things pan out.......not in any rush to start going down the track of MRI's and X-Rays until or unless I feel it really is necessary.....

Yep....going to go steady for a week or two, see how things pan out.......not in any rush to start going down the track of MRI's and X-Rays until or unless I feel it really is necessary.....

Initially it's tempting to rush to get an MRI, but save your money, I'm pretty sure in 6 months this will all be forgotten

• Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Initially it's tempting to rush to get an MRI, but save your money, I'm pretty sure in 6 months this will all be forgotten

Cheers....thinking the same.........reckon I could keep this up for months.......wife is rushing around like a headless chicken cooking, cleaning, cup of tea dear? Biscuits? TV?

wife is rushing around like a headless chicken cooking, cleaning, cup of tea dear? Biscuits? TV

My wife has been fantastic, taking care of me, helping in any way she can.

Imagine if it was a UK wife:

"Get it yourself, I'm not your damn slave" ????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, faraday said:

My wife has been fantastic, taking care of me, helping in any way she can.

Imagine if it was a UK wife:

"Get it yourself, I'm not your damn slave" ????

To be fair.......my wife does virtually everything anyway.......with me being from an inferior race I cannot be trusted to do anything properly..........I am allowed to dry, but not wash-up, I can put away but have to ask where.......and I am allowed to help make one side of the bed on a morning........but she always then comes to my side and readjusts it anyway!!!!!

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Ha.......yes one leg, next leg, steady up..........take a breath....3, 2, 1,.....lift off.

dread getting up at night to pee ?    along with your cane you might need one of these:

Urine Bottle High Res Stock Images | Shutterstock

• Haha 1

From my brother who is a physical therapist: 

Lay face down flat. when you can, come up on your elbows keeping your hips on the floor,  stay there awhile, then as you can push up like you are doing half push ups, hips stay on the floor. Go slow and hold these positions for a little while. Don't force anything, take it ease and just do as much as you can easily. You need to put the reverse curve back in your back. This really helped me! when you strain your back immediately get on the floor and do these moves. 

Get the book, " Really helped me!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

From my brother who is a physical therapist: 

Lay face down flat. when you can, come up on your elbows keeping your hips on the floor,  stay there awhile, then as you can push up like you are doing half push ups, hips stay on the floor. Go slow and hold these positions for a little while. Don't force anything, take it ease and just do as much as you can easily. You need to put the reverse curve back in your back. This really helped me! when you strain your back immediately get on the floor and do these moves. 

Get the book, " Really helped me!

But then how do you get back up again? Roll onto the floor and go from there? I can't get up from being face down without a struggle even when my back is OK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No offense to the suggestion about the famous book above .   I did try that,  along with the

"usual stretches"  prescribed by almost all physiotherapists .

No doubt many people with back problems do find relief following a protocol suggested by a doctor or a physio  or  their neighbors uncle  ... or the one of a million Youtube videos.

my take is :  one solution does NOT  work for all problems .   especially when it comes to the human body.

I could never understand why i hurt MORE after doing the most common stretches ( even gently) .  Here is yet another video worth watching.   Is he right?   OR?   he does use the common  words "the truth is".....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcbuhePZZj0

i THINK  i have finally found a simple stretch or two that helps ME.

good luck to all finding the stretch that fits your back

Note:  i do the "catcamel " movement after lying down, and before getting out of bed .   for me it has helped 

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 1:31 PM, Surelynot said:

Yes thank god......would be a real struggle trying to cope without her........have some 'happy pills' the doctor prescribed me when recovering from a biopsy.......never took any......but tempted to try one or two now...555

I can guarantee Tramadol will help. But be prepared that you can like them too much. as soon as you are feeling better you should go reguraly to massage, accupuncture or chiropratic once a while.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2021 at 1:00 PM, Surelynot said:

That what I was hoping someone might say......see how it goes first.....slight numbness in right leg.......but that could be lying down for so long plus my imagination!!!!!

I agree with this, my back went when I picked up an amplifier after a gig. I just rested a bit, apart from doing further gigs and back was back to normal in about four or five days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, faraday said:

I had a similar crippling event about 10 years ago in Hong Kong. Was totally immobilized...local private doctor came out a injected Pethadine (?), which got me mobile. 

MRI showed "stenosis" at the lower back crushing or putting pressure on the sciatic nerve. 

Doctors at Queen Mary hospital wouldn't operate as they said the risk of damaging the spinal cord was too great.

Eventually prescribing Lyrica (pregabalin ) which tells the brain to ignore the pain.

Still take it now and about 90%effectiveness. Can buy over the counter here on LOS. 

Reading up on the long term side effects of many pain killers a.d muscle relaxants turned me off them.

Out of interest where was the microdisectomy performed and what approx costs ?

• Like 2

Watch the numbness does not spread.

If you can, lie flat on floor.,lift or get someone to lift legs , bend knees & place your lower legs

from knee down on the chair. Relax, do nothing for 15 minutes except breathing slowly into your tummy (no chest movement) Try & do twice a day

• Thanks 1