Close to tears........

Surelynot

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Last paragraph seems to be the general consensus.........praying it does come to disc problems!!!!!

Did I misread your post? What could be worse than disc problems?

• Haha 1

Just now, Denim said:

Good advice. You do have to explain exactly what you want or they could make it worse. Bow bow noy is good , also, my ow meu keng. Nim nim

screaming in pain also works sometimes.   

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

That sounds almost identical.......

make yourself a makeshift cane with blue plastic pipe  and and "elbow"  to hold .

getting up from bed is a LOT easier with a cane or such.   even walking it gives some security.      broken hip taught me that 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rumak said:

make yourself a makeshift cane with blue plastic pipe  and and "elbow"  to hold .

getting up from bed is a LOT easier with a cane or such.   even walking it gives some security.      broken hip taught me that 

Oh boy.......am I feeling old now......!

Just now, Lacessit said:

I would have thought nak noi, bow bow mak wah, would be preferable, seems to work for me when I use it.

I understand bow bow noi to mean less gentle.

lace,  you know better than to question my thai   ????

the "noi"  at the end is used to soften a request.    like "chuay noi"     or others

• Like 1

In my experience with these back issues that you describe, they vary from really annoying and inconvenient to acute pain for many days, but I fortunately have never had to go to the quack. They occur as you describe just bending down normally as you do and  'bang' your back's gone..happens to me about once a year maybe. I try not to take meds, but have finally realised that for me, pain killers (Nurofen type) are the way to go in my case..............It helps loads.............The worst I ever had was being on all fours, and by grabbing on to anything to pull myself up and only managing to get to the bed by hanging off the door, metal window grills, anything that I could get my grip on in the room to get to the bed, took about 20 mins..!! Not fun............................................your post has just reminded me of that memory and if it's any consolation while you're in pain,...............................................................I have a shed load of other great memories at that time (in Samui then) that pale that paricular experience and pain into insignificance...................trust you too can get it all into perspective with a 'pinch yourself, I've been quite fortunate really' moment..!!!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bojo said:

In my experience with these back issues that you describe, they vary from really annoying and inconvenient to acute pain for many days, but I fortunately have never had to go to the quack. They occur as you describe just bending down normally as you do and  'bang' your back's gone..happens to me about once a year maybe. I try not to take meds, but have finally realised that for me, pain killers (Nurofen type) are the way to go in my case..............It helps loads.............The worst I ever had was being on all fours, and by grabbing on to anything to pull myself up and only managing to get to the bed by hanging off the door, metal window grills, anything that I could get my grip on in the room to get to the bed, took about 20 mins..!! Not fun............................................your post has just reminded me of that memory and if it's any consolation while you're in pain,...............................................................I have a shed load of other great memories at that time (in Samui then) that pale that paricular experience and pain into insignificance...................trust you too can get it all into perspective with a 'pinch yourself, I've been quite fortunate really' moment..!!!

Good point.....just had a year in Nana...so need be thinking of 'better' times....555

As uncomfortable as it may be, dont imobilise, you need to keep mobility.

"It's natural to want to avoid using your back when it hurts. However, for most types of back pain, inactivity — especially bed rest — can slow the healing process and make your muscles weaker, tighter, and more painful."

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Don't want to spend any money......555

Do you really think that is funny?

If you visit a doctor for a diagnosis it will often cost not more than 1000 or 2000 THB.

And if you have a big problem then it's likely better to work on that problem right away and don't wait until it gets worse.

I also don't like to spend money when it is not necessary. But before I would ask the TV experts for advice for my health I would spend 2000B without hesitation. 

• Haha 2

Just over 20 years ago I came home from work and noticed a letter on the floor. I bent over to pick it up and on the way back my back went out. Something in the way I moved caused it. The lower back muscles seized up and I was bent in two, unable to do much. 

A physio with advanced equipment (electrical currents in the affected area) loosened the muscles and I was fine, but other than that it will take a week or more for the muscles to relax and you get back to normal. There are some exercises that can help.

One is to stand with your back to a room wall, raise your hands to the sky, and go on your tip toes and move your raised hands to touch the wall. Like you were going to do a backflip into a pool. That stretches the lower back muscles.

Another is to lie flat on the ground, with your hands stretched out in a V, then push up with your hands as if doing a press up, keeping your legs and lower back on the floor. That stretches the muscles too. If you can loosen up the seized up muscles you will recover faster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you visit a doctor for a diagnosis it will often cost not more than 1000 or 2000 THB.

And if you have a big problem then it's likely better to work on that problem right away and don't wait until it gets worse.

I also don't like to spend money when it is not necessary. But before I would ask the TV experts for advice for my health I would spend 2000B without hesitation. 

I won't hesitate if it comes to that......a little wait and see will do for now.......just shelled out 250k, so not in a rush to spend too much more.

Edited by Surelynot

23 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

One is to stand with your back to a room wall, raise your hands to the sky, and go on your tip toes and move your raised hands to touch the wall. Like you were going to do a backflip into a pool. That stretches the lower back muscles.

Another is to lie flat on the ground, with your hands stretched out in a V, then push up with your hands as if doing a press up, keeping your legs and lower back on the floor. That stretches the muscles too. If you can loosen up the seized up muscles you will recover faster.

Will give the first a buzz.....second one was in one of the posted videos and is on my menu.....cheers.

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I suspect he's trying to make light of his situation whilst in pain, Surelynot's attempt at humour is probably helping ease it, as is reaching out to the TV forum.................................. Sound advice One More, I too would follow your savvy recommendation if symptoms persisted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

training and swimming daily then............bent down to switch a pedestal fan on..........and back 'went'.

No mention of what kind of training. No mention of stretching.

Bending over, as an old guy, you should always keep the knees bent, which may mean going into a partial squat until you can reach the whatever.

I had this maybe 30 years ago when I was on a long vacation and took it that as part of the vacation I didn't need to bother with any stretches. I helped a friend move a large and heavy sofa and later the pain was so excruciating I couldn't move. Lesson learned.

I took an anti-inflammatory & muscle relaxer, stayed in bed, did some walking after a few days, and it finally got all better. Soon I was back to normal activity, making sure to do the stretches. Later I added in back exercises. No events thereafter.

So you've been given the expected recommendations re: pills, creams, massages, ice, and of course chiropractor. Did I see heat? A heating pad might be helpful. Yeah, see a doc if it doesn't get better in a couple weeks or so (or of course sooner if you feel you absolutely must). But it probably will. It's not like you were lifting a piano or something.

I'm a believer in better living thru chemistry as needed. But after you recover, you'll need to do stretches and strength exercise for the back. Stretches, daily. Decompression (hanging's good, lying face down w/ pillows mid-torso, whatever works). A foam roller can be helpful (don't roll the lower back). Exercise: depends on a number of factors, but start considering. If a doc recommends PT, then the therapist will decide what & when.

Keeping back problems at bay is an ongoing project for elders, so get used to allocating time for it. Then there's all the rest . . . .

Have a look at some vids on youtube from Bob and Brad. They're good:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=back+pain+bob+and+brad

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

No mention of what kind of training. No mention of stretching.

Bending over, as an old guy, you should always keep the knees bent, which may mean going into a partial squat until you can reach the whatever.

I had this maybe 30 years ago when I was on a long vacation and took it that as part of the vacation I didn't need to bother with any stretches. I helped a friend move a large and heavy sofa and later the pain was so excruciating I couldn't move. Lesson learned.

I took an anti-inflammatory & muscle relaxer, stayed in bed, did some walking after a few days, and it finally got all better. Soon I was back to normal activity, making sure to do the stretches. Later I added in back exercises. No events thereafter.

So you've been given the expected recommendations re: pills, creams, massages, ice, and of course chiropractor. Did I see heat? A heating pad might be helpful. Yeah, see a doc if it doesn't get better in a couple weeks or so (or of course sooner if you feel you absolutely must). But it probably will. It's not like you were lifting a piano or something.

I'm a believer in better living thru chemistry as needed. But after you recover, you'll need to do stretches and strength exercise for the back. Stretches, daily. Decompression (hanging's good, lying face down w/ pillows mid-torso, whatever works). Exercise: depends on a number of factors, but start considering. If a doc recommends PT, then the therapist will decide what & when.

Keeping back problems at bay is an ongoing project for elders, so get used to allocating time for it. Then there's all the rest . . . .

Have a look at some vids on youtube from Bob and Brad. They're good:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=back+pain+bob+and+brad

Certainly going to very protective of my back from now on..........the lower back already feels like a weak spot waiting to getting its turn in the spot light when the chance arises.

We were getting dressed to go and get the wife jabbed.......she was faffing about, I was getting hot waiting, so just dipped down to flick the fan on....boom.

5 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Certainly going to very protective of my back from now on..........the lower back already feels like a weak spot waiting to getting its turn in the spot light when the chance arises.

We were getting dressed to go and get the wife jabbed.......she was faffing about, I was getting hot waiting, so just dipped down to flick the fan on....boom.

backs will often go after an innocuous movement, the damage is done earlier

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

have you had any warning signs? possible it's the gym work, might have been over a long period, heavy lifting the obvious candidate

No warning signs, but if there is a culprit I guess it must be gym!!!!

• Like 1