Good news for drinkers in Chiang Mai - alcohol can be served in restaurants up to 9pm

webfact

4pm.jpg

Picture: Manager

Chiang Mai has decided to buck the trend of allowing the serving of alcohol. 

From yesterday restaurants will be able to serve alcohol up to 9pm in the northern Thai city.

But after then local official Nok Sriwichainan said at a briefing on Covid-19 matters it would still be illegal. 

The pandemic still remains a concern in the province with most cases brought in from outside, reported Manager.

Large gatherings are still limited - only up to 150 people are allowed to congregate. 

The aim is to get 1.2 million people vaccinated there.

So far 152,021 jabs have gone into the arms of 11,692 people. 

810,700 have expressed a wish to be vaccinated. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-22

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I believe I just read that schools are being postponed from opening because of an uptick in cases in near by provinces and Villages  to Chiang Mai.  Thats smart, smart, smart as opening would possibly expose children in larger groups, and lets remember  children follow orders.  But to ooen bars, and allow drinking, where people obviously do not follow the rules, and gather in crowds, well thats dangerous,  and just not Smart, Smart, Smart.  You just cant teach people that wash rinse and repeat always ends in repeat.  

6 hours ago, 2long said:

Then why open this thread and comment?

With due respect - why not??? In my opinion "Trainman34014" is making a valid point by highlighting the possibility of the re-emergence of DUI in Chiang Mai and the consequences of such action.

• Like 1

Typical Thai bureaucratic <deleted> - Government employees paid to sit around dreaming up unnecessary rules and regulations that serve no good purpose. What difference does it make in the control of COVID whether the people have a drink at 6PM or at 11PM. The country would be well served by framing sensible rules, sacking 50% of the government employees. and raising the pay of the other 50% but make them earn their keep.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Brian Hull said:

Typical Thai bureaucratic <deleted> - Government employees paid to sit around dreaming up unnecessary rules and regulations that serve no good purpose. What difference does it make in the control of COVID whether the people have a drink at 6PM or at 11PM. The country would be well served by framing sensible rules, sacking 50% of the government employees. and raising the pay of the other 50% but make them earn their keep.

Because it isn't a question of "a drink" but of how many drinks.

Edited by placeholder

8 hours ago, placeholder said:

Drinking at bars and restaurants has repeatedly been found to be a huge promoter of covid transmission. Alcohol makes it more likely that people will behave carelessly and foolishly. Why won't that happen again?

Links / facts .. 

You have ?..

Goodnight ..

On 6/22/2021 at 2:08 PM, AquaThai said:

I believe I just read that schools are being postponed from opening because of an uptick in cases in near by provinces and Villages  to Chiang Mai.  Thats smart, smart, smart as opening would possibly expose children in larger groups, and lets remember  children follow orders.  But to ooen bars, and allow drinking, where people obviously do not follow the rules, and gather in crowds, well thats dangerous,  and just not Smart, Smart, Smart.  You just cant teach people that wash rinse and repeat always ends in repeat.  

My kid was at school today.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Forza2002 said:

Much nearer to home, the Warm Up Cafe has had several CV19 clusters in the past...

For those who don't know, Warm Up is not just a cafe but a multi room nightclub. The few times I was there well before Covid it was always packed.