Thais warned not to eat uncooked pork and wear gloves when cutting meat after death of uni professor

webfact

3pm.jpg

Daily News reported that the death of a Phitsanulok university professor last week was confirmed as being due to what the Thais call "Rok Hoo Dap".

This is believed to be called SHL in English - Sudden Hearing Loss. 

It can be caused by streptococcus suis that is present in the digestive systems and blood of pigs. 

A form of meningitis can be passed on by ingesting uncooked pig meat or having an open wound come into contact with pork. 

The latter is believed what happened with the professor who had bought pork at a mall then prepared it for a group of friends who were having a "moo katha" style barbecue. 

Dr Natkhapatch Ratanaphithoon of the Suranee University said the bacteria can be dangerous and causes about 100 infections in Thailand a year.

There have been nine deaths mostly in the north and Isaan. He mentioned Lampang, Uttaradit, Phayao, Korat and Phichit where deaths had occurred. 

He advised that pork should be eaten fully cooked and plastic gloves should be worn when cutting up that meat. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-24
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Uncooked pork.

What the hell? 

My wife said that they eat raw pork up North in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai.

Moronic.

In most civilized countries that I'm aware of, raw beef is a delicatessen, and is eaten as sandwich spread, or with french fries .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare

Edited by Susco

1 hour ago, Susco said:

In most civilized countries that I'm aware of, raw beef is a delicatessen, and is eaten as sandwich spread, or with french fries .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare

Yes I do eat tartar even it is not recommended but even on cooking shows like master mind they have a lot of tartar recipes, 

many times I had tartar bread rolls in Pattaya in a German restaurant and it was absolute delicious 

Edited by Meat Pie 47
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

many times I had tartar bread rolls in Pattaya in a German restaurant and it was absolute delicious 

Those German tartar bread rolls are raw pork, not beef. It’s called Mett and it’s one of my favorites foods that I always have when in Germany, ideally with lots of raw onions and black pepper: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mett

Though I highly doubt what you get in Pattaya (or anywhere else here in Thailand) is real Mett. Even Bei Otto doesn’t have real Mett. I guess it’s simply not feasible because to eat raw minced pork you need to ensure that it’s absolutely fresh, cooled and being eaten on the very same day.

They normally have some prepackaged stuff that is good for days or even longer in the fridge as it comes with tons of preservatives and stuff. Can’t compare that to a real fresh Mettbrötchen. In fact the last time I went to Bei Otto I returned it because the waitress had promised real fresh Mett but then I got something that was clearly prepackaged stuff they’re selling in their deli next door. 

I think some 15 years ago under the original owner they used to sell the real fresh one there. I remember I brought my first Thai gf there and she pretty much wanted to vomit when I made her try it. My Thai language teachers on the other hand loved it. Some were Isan ladies who were like “oh yeah, we eat raw pork in Isan all the time”. 

Edited by cocoonclub
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Uncooked pork.

What the hell? 

My wife said that they eat raw pork up North in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai.

Moronic.

They eat beef (เนื้อวัว – néua wua) not  pork (หมู – mŏo) ! Its eaten also almost all in Isaan , knife minced and add spices then guys eat whit beer and Laokhao.

I am very much surprized that raw beef in the form of Tartar seems to be such a surprize for some. This is a standard (and delicious) dish served around the world. Eating raw beef is not dangerous at all. Or do you not eat a medium rare or even rare steak ? It is rather the raw eggs you add for some receipes that might be a bit questionable. I have eaten Tartar all my life (with raw eggs) and have never become sick. To serve Tartar with french fries seems to be a rather regional version from the French Fries Belt (BENELUX). I did indeed have this combination once in Luxembourg - but only there.

Mett (it is raw, but shredded pork - just like Tartar) is indeed more of a German dish. Eaten with a "Brötchen" (small fist sized german bread with a light brown crust and white dough) and onions as @cocoonclubpoints out is a very delicious snack to go with beer. I had the original one in a Cologne beer tavern where they do serve the beer once you order until you say "Stop" instead of the need to order one more when you have finished your glass.

It is available in Thailand but the shelf life of the Thai Version (in a small sausage form called "Zwiebelmettwurst" available at Central Festival or Backfabrik in Pattaya) is more than 3 weeks wheras the original German fresh Mett shoud be eaten within approx. 2 days (obviously without preservatives). The Thai package says that "INS 250" is added to the 95% pork and 5% spices. INS 250 is a food preservative. It is not the real thing but I eat it occasionally nevertheless.

You may be surprized that in Japan even Raw Chicken is served. They cut the the breast into thin slices and then roll them in the form of a rose. It is served with Soy Sauce and Wasabi just as you would eat Sashimi. Of course there is a latent danger of Salmonella associated with that and because of that I would not like to recommend this for you to try. But I had it a couple of times in Tokyo and believe it or not - it is tender, soft and extremely delicious.

This is why some backward religions banned the eating of Pork.  There thousands for people dying in the old days and they taught it was due to the dirty pig that the pork came from.  If they only knew....