Thailand Road Carnage: At scene death toll on track to match last two years

webfact

8pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

In their ongoing campaign to raise awareness of the death toll on Thailand's treacherous roads Daily News published the latest stats for "at the scene" deaths.

These are deaths recorded at the scene of accidents and on the way to hospitals. Those who die later are not included.

The death toll annually in Thailand is generally accepted to be well in excess of 20,000 and possibly 24-26,000, suggest Thaivisa. 

Thirty six died on the Thai roads on Wednesday. 

This brought the total for June to 800 up to and including the 23rd of the month.

The total for this year so far is 6,904. In the same period last year it was 6,594. 

The at the scene death toll for the whole of 2019 was 14,907 and in 2020 14,825.

8pm1.jpg

In their headline the media advised motorists to be careful of slippery roads but in their warning segment they reported on a different kind of negligence or lack of maintenance.

This was the slight injury suffered by a motorcyclist called Wichian, 54, after a spare tire and locking attachment fell off a large lorry and into his path in the area behing the Imperial mall in Samrong, Samut Prakan. 

8pm2.jpg

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-25
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

How odd......the population having been told of the number of deaths and the causes of those deaths, you would have thought the death rate would have plummeted........maybe something else needs to be done?.....This needs mulling over.

Maybe they could form a committee ................LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kennw said:

I think we all know that lack of law enforcement is a key factor in the carnage. Was'nt this one of the principal reforms promised by the new government? Probably still in the too hard basket.   

Law enforcement is one factor but Insurance is another !!  Until the whole system of government insurance is scrapped ( they hand it out like Candy at DLT with no background checks , history or proper vehicle checks ) the carnage will continue with jumped up idiots able to buy an Izuzu pick up - lower the suspension, fit wide wheels and a go faster exhaust then blast down Sukhumvit belching black smoke and weaving from inside to outside lanes ( in a city zone speed limit )  . All on the feeble government insurance !!   There's no hope for change as long as this system exists so my advise is for farangs is to drive a tank !!      

• Like 2

Thailand Road Carnage: At scene death toll on track to match last two years

The total for this year so far is 6,904. In the same period last year it was 6,594. 

The at the scene death toll for the whole of 2019 was 14,907 and in 2020 14,825.

So first off 6904 so far is a hella lot more than 6594 so not match but increase

Secondly...14,900 per year?40-60 a day?  Where is the dumb driver vaccine? Why not shut down the highways?

Disallow foreign drivers?? etc etc etc

Because Covid is running 20-30 a day so 10k a year waaaay less deaths yet they torched their economy

????

Edited by meechai
  • Like 2

Patiently waiting at traffic lights to turn right yesterday and they turned in my favour and just about to move forward and a  Fortuner  obviously going to fast to stop simply turns on his hazard lights and roars across the now red lights of at least 7 seconds. Good job I wasn’t fast away. 

• Like 2

Just now, poppysdad said:

Patiently waiting at traffic lights to turn right yesterday and they turned in my favour and just about to move forward and a  Fortuner  obviously going to fast to stop simply turns on his hazard lights and roars across the now red lights of at least 7 seconds. Good job I wasn’t fast away. 

I still look before pulling out......I never assume the road is clear and safe to go....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:
15 hours ago, Joinaman said:

and they worry about the number of deaths from Covid !

Unfortunately they accept traffic fatalities, but your right Covid is sure a different story.  

this could be the underlying why in the earlier wunan era there not that many deaths!!

like imagine the numbers may have been applied using the same record keeping logic for the Wuhan, as they do with Traffic deaths:  

- the numbers of people who died at the scene of contracting the wuhan = 0

- the numbers of people  who died from the wuhan when going to hospital from home = 0

- the numbers of people who died in hospital from the wuhan = irrelevant and not counted in the stats

• Like 1