PM unsure 7-day lockdown of Bangkok will stop spread of COVID-19

snoop1130

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

7 days would stop Covid as mush as Custer stopped the Indians at Little Big Horn.

You'd need to basically lockdown for 28 days minimum. 14 to see if people had it, and then another 14 to cover those infected by those infected in the same house during lockdown 

Agree. This is what was required from the start - everywhere. This virus relies on continuous transmission to proliferate and survive. If people had stopped moving about all over the place and followed sensible PPE and behavioral guidelines as soon as the danger was known, then this virus would be have been dead over a year ago.

Unfortunately, humans can't manage themselves like that, so a pandemic it has become. As Bernard Trink would have said: Manure!  

• Like 1

He let the Genie out of the bottle when he lifted restrictions at Songkran and stopped being tough on inter provincial travel, coupled with more testing, porous borders, blind eyes to illegal crossings, and then the truth coming out afterwards about rampant prison infections.

And now, no vaccines only ' registration after registration ' as a time wasting exercise.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 2long said:

Well, they have closed construction camps for a month... where will the labourers go? Out to buy food, or to home provinces? They will still live and breathe for the month, and are maybe even more likely to spread Covid without work.

Good point.  I read elsewhere though that they are halting construction and preventing the workers from leaving the camps for a month.

9 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

This doofus should have had a one month lockdown about 3 months ago and it will of all gone away again. But he didn't.

It's obvious he's not running the show.

Forget whose running what, they're alright so they flatout just do not care, Mii pen lii

6 hours ago, maddermax said:

Notice that the daily figures for the virus are no longer being published. They must be still going up otherwise we would be hearing them.

What makes you say that... posted here and on Facebook daily?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

everywhere else has had  half or 3/4 year lockdowns ,,,thats whats needed

Everywhere else was deep into the <deleted> with high infections and no vaccine expected for a while....sadly, and unnecessarily, Thailand is striving to be in the same position much later..

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Oh yeah, because farang people would have done this better - just as all farang countries controlled Covid so perfectly.

I'm so glad that you have such faith. "Oh yeah," that sounds like you're in an elementary school playground fussing over a kickball rule.

21 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I really think that it's time that they bit the bullet, lockdown for at least a month, get the vaccination teams mobile and start jabbing everyone ASAP, harsh & unpopular I know but at this moment in time we are fighting a losing battle, I don't feel comfortable with my other half having to run the gauntlet every time she goes shopping, and it's also not good that we expats are no where near vaccination, diabolical shambles to be honest.

Looks like expats are on their own as regards getting jabs , especially those who are elderly or have existing health problems . So no help from the embassies ( accept France ) .  Expats living in Thailand are playing Russian roulette with their lives because their own embassies and the Thai authorities do not have any concern for them . Western countries with good health systems have found that total country population vaccination is a major task , even with a reasonable vaccine supply . Thailand has little procured vaccine along with unreliable vaccine placement to hospitals where on occasions there is nonconformity to vaccinating the people in turn from the listings ( queue jumping ) . 

For those expats who have not burnt their bridges , maybe time to return to your home country and get vaccinated . For the others , maybe time to lobby your embassy . 

Finally I was told yesterday that hospitals will not sell/vaccinate to foreigners and in some cases Thais, in some provinces . I told my g/f to go and get a jab from a private hospital and she told me the aforementioned  .

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

It is indeed a very sad state of affairs here in Thailand, my Thai daughter in law is fully vaccinated, admittedly she has been living & working in the UK for a number of years but that's beside the point.

Even illegal immigrants have received the vaccine jabs, and not some Sino sh!te either, I'm at a loss to understand the stance being taken by this faux government, only a few days ago - it may have been longer, whose counting ? Anyway Anutin told 2 huge lies which I have yet to see questioned & explained, lie 1, there are enough vaccines for everyone, including a 3rd jab, lie 2, there are enough hospital beds, Dr's, Nurses, ventilators for those that need them, what a load of b0ll0cks.

It is not time to be reactive in Thailand because repatriation or home country return could stop in an instant if the virus situation became same as India . What is certain is that the horrific casualty reported rate from India was well below the real numbers . W.H.O. are saying that in reality the true Indian figures are times 40 than that reported . I am wondering if there may be a  similar dilemma in Thai reporting and testing . Time to get proactive I think . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2021 at 7:09 PM, The Cipher said:

Although I agree with your point in general, Western politicians didn't exactly do great on this front for most of the pandemic either.

No they pussyfooted around it just like him then eventuality they had to make hard choices. ICU beds are getting fewer. This won't end well.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Vaccines might help??

All depends on what vaccines / jabs , you have . 

If the source , is from a Western Country . 

UK.  Europe , US.. Thank you .. 

The other options , Chinese , etc .

No way ..

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, bipper said:

No they pussyfooted around it just like him then eventuality they had to make hard choices. ICU beds are getting fewer. This won't end well.

Rip ...

the intelligent lockdown in the The Netherland messed up a lot. made that all took longer.

the lockdown system in Australia works very well and also takes longer minimal 14 days or more.

What makes the choice to lockdown for 14 days as a minimum.

quarantine come from the Italian number 40 and was used in the past as the minimum number of days to lock down an area. 

old wisdom is not so bad and when lockdown for 40 days you can stop the spreading as have seen in many areas.  And do not forget to accept the tourists will not come soon due the ne new mutation in India the plus mutation that is now starting to spread and also is more aggressive in the lungs.

we need to vaccinate the world as fast as possible with this we stop the spreading as well that new mutations will evolve. When not solve this problem first we will in the grip of SARS-CoV-2 and the mutations. 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 2:09 PM, The Cipher said:

Although I agree with your point in general, Western politicians didn't exactly do great on this front for most of the pandemic either.

No, not at the beginning. As every COVID hit country in the world, governments were at a loss. What to do, what not to do, close, save lives, open ,save the economy. Very hard decisions. Generally , most locked down, work from home, isolate contacts, and vaccin vaccin vaccin like hell !!! Took us a long time, but finally, we’re sort of managing it now, problems, due to the Delta variant , are there. But most people are vaccinated, so they’re not going to flood the ventilators and intensive care. Very little dying , only the old and feeble. Kids contracting the virus is now on the rise though, so tho they are not dying from it ( normally), they can pass it on to others. So that has to be managed too, and they have to be vaccinated.

• Like 1

I think it's more than OK for leaders to change policies when new evidence supports that, but I don't think it inspires confidence for leaders to say stuff like "not really sure" out loud. Get the input from experts behind the scenes, and then when a decision is made, announce it with conviction. Waffles are good to eat, waffling isn't good to hear.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 12:19 AM, 2long said:

Well, they have closed construction camps for a month... where will the labourers go? Out to buy food, or to home provinces? They will still live and breathe for the month, and are maybe even more likely to spread Covid without work.

He said there will be people who defy lockdown rules. 

Now I've been thinking, who are these people? How could they find out? 

Maybe disguise the BMWs and Park them around the fishing industry, and a few factories. 

Place some infrared CCTV cameras around the building sites, oh these are not reliable, footage disappears into the cloud. 

Other than a miracle there is no way to find out who smuggles these labourers into the country, causing Covid-19 havoc. 

It seems employers are immune from prosecution, making them very hard to deal with. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/25/2021 at 5:48 PM, snoop1130 said:

he has to consider the issue very carefully and hear the opinions of all stakeholders, including people in the capital

The only people he should be listening to are medical experts 

Haven't heard from his sidekick for a while Anutin - has he been sidelined

I am here in a seven day lockdown here in Sydney Australia ( will actually Central Coast New South Wales) and the crazy mixed up s--t that goes along with it is unbelieve able. they change there minds on the so called rules on the whole Covid-19 quicker than they change their  underwear. I'm in hospitably s0 once again no work, no vaccine as they have changed the age yet once again and now because of my age I have ta wait to the next batch come in and they can't say when that is going to be. Or when our boarders will open up. but when they do and no quarantine at your end I'm on the first flight out to Chiang Mai, oh how I miss the country.get the bar's open I'm a coming.

1 minute ago, Sharron Merrilees said:

I am here in a seven day lockdown here in Sydney Australia ( will actually Central Coast New South Wales) and the crazy mixed up s--t that goes along with it is unbelieve able. they change there minds on the so called rules on the whole Covid-19 quicker than they change their  underwear. I'm in hospitably s0 once again no work, no vaccine as they have changed the age yet once again and now because of my age I have ta wait to the next batch come in and they can't say when that is going to be. Or when our boarders will open up. but when they do and no quarantine at your end I'm on the first flight out to Chiang Mai, oh how I miss the country.get the bar's open I'm a coming.

So 7-day lockdowns are not just a Thai idea?  Or maybe that's where Prayut got the idea from.

9 hours ago, smedly said:

The only people he should be listening to are medical experts 

Haven't heard from his sidekick for a while Anutin - has he been sidelined

No way . 

He has been promoted ... 555