Transferring ownership of a car with plates from another province.

A few years ago I registered a new car in Prachuap Khiri Khan. Now I am selling it in Nakhon Ratchasima. 

Will we be able to do the transfer of ownership at the Pak Chong Land Transport Office (LTO)? Or will we have to go to Korat, or even Prachuap? Thanks for any info.

there should be no “we”....

registering a transferred vehicle after a proper legal sale here is buyer sole responsibility.

seller provides buyer with reg.book, legal sale contract, signed copy ID. buyer does the reg, (or not).

also never re-registered my bike when moving provinces, as no need. unless you want new plates.

Transferred from Prachinburi to Bangkok. Just need to have your documents in order and it has to be inspected regardless of age.

If you drive anywhere that has traffic cameras you really want to have your registration match your mailing address. 

Get it from the horse's mouth:

Department of Land Transport
Pak Chong Branch:
9 Moo 9, Bypass Road / Friendship Highway
Pak Chong / Nakorn Ratchasima 30130
phone: 044-300 926 or 044-300 926
GPS: 14.676732 101.459075
in Thai: for directions if needed: สำนักงานขนส่งจังหวัดนครราชสีมา สาขาปากช่อง

My experience is that you show up with the car transfer papers incl. power of attorney to represent also the seller. Have the mandatory test of roadworthiness done prior to transfer the ownership - can be done there as well. 
Then present the sales contract, the power of attorney of the seller and respective set of copies of ID. Return the old plates from Prachuab Khirikhan and get a new set of plates. The blue book though will be amended with the details of the new plates. By experience a matter of less than 30 minutes. The power of attorney and sales contract is obsolete, if you just move the province of a vehicle, which has been in your name before (at the old province already). 

Good luck! 

On 6/26/2021 at 9:19 PM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

there should be no “we”....

registering a transferred vehicle after a proper legal sale here is buyer sole responsibility.

seller provides buyer with reg.book, legal sale contract, signed copy ID. buyer does the reg, (or not).

also never re-registered my bike when moving provinces, as no need. unless you want new plates.

Actually it's the seller's responsibility to transfer as if buyer doesn't do it and use the car for illegal activity the registered owner might got in trouble. 

On 6/27/2021 at 12:04 AM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

no form. lawyer recommended.

ensures “clean break”-as seen-no warranty-no registration change resp.

Who on earth uses a lawyer for car ownership transfer? Do you use a lawyer when you buy a new car from a dealership? Next you'll recommend using a lawyer to go shopping at 7-11...

• Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 5:10 PM, Some guy said:

A few years ago I registered a new car in Prachuap Khiri Khan. Now I am selling it in Nakhon Ratchasima. 

Will we be able to do the transfer of ownership at the Pak Chong Land Transport Office (LTO)? Or will we have to go to Korat, or even Prachuap? Thanks for any info.

Pretty simple - a vehicle ownership change can only be done in the province where the vehicle is registered. To go around it you can transfer the car registration to the new province (change plates) and then do the transfer of ownership where you are. 

LukKreung: you are wrong on just about everything here :......

subject is used car sale.yet you oddly mention lawyer for new car buy ....

what is your recommended contract form then for used car sale ?

oh yes,you dont know......cannot get the “ clean break” without contract.....

of course buyer responsible to change reg.to buyer name

why on earth would seller be responsible for that, especially if buyer in different province.......

no, you do not have to change vehicle reg. in current registered province.....

3 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

LukKreung: you are wrong on just about everything here :......

subject is used car sale.yet you oddly mention lawyer for new car buy ....

what is your recommended contract form then for used car sale ?

oh yes,you dont know......cannot get the “ clean break” without contract.....

of course buyer responsible to change reg.to buyer name

why on earth would seller be responsible for that, especially if buyer in different province.......

no, you do not have to change vehicle reg. in current registered province.....

Just to clarify my earlier post:  car ownership transfer can only be done at the province the car is registered. If your car has BKK plates that's where you must change ownership. If you're not there and want to sell and transfer ownership in a different province you MUST first register the car in that province ie change plates. Once you've done that, the car is now registered in the new province and ownership can be transferred. 

As for seller responsibility for transferring ownership - that's also in my earlier post. If the car stays registered to you and being used for illegal activity, even hit and run accident - the registered owner is in the sh@@t. So yes, you can trust the buyer to do it, but what if he doesn't. 

Now for the sell contract: there are readily available contacts at any stationary shop, and every user cars dealership have them. I never heard of anyone lawyering up for a car buy/ sell.

it would be the contract date forming the clean break change not the registration change date 

will review the stationery shop contract though...... 

when I bought a used car in 2017 in chiang mai I shipped it down to phuket and changed name / plates / book at DLT Phuket where they did all the papers against contract / seller id / old car book

maybe the rules have changed ....would render cross- province direct transfers very bureacratic and inconvenient.... double reg.in two different provinces is unnecessary & ridiculous, even by stds. here....