I just got an AZ1 vaccination, Can I leave Phuket and get back in without a 3000baht test result

Pinot

I'm on top of the world. Just got the AZ1, baby! I will not die from Covid. I will probably die on the grill of a runaway cement truck but I digress...

I want to travel in Southern Thailand from my home in Phuket. You now have to have a positive Covid test and they're not cheap. 

I don't know who to ask this question. After my first jab, am I good to go? 

• Confused 1

Just to OP... AZ won't protect you against anything for several weeks, and will only give you relative immunity to a few strains 4-8 weeks after your SECOND dose, some 2-3 months after the first one. And as you'd like to go further South - beware as there's a Beta variant cluster in many places, and for these even fully vaccinated, your vaccine is useless both against infection as well as against moderate and severe symptoms.

• Like 1

I cannot speak for Phuket, but here on Samui we have been told that we can travel around Thailand after two weeks from being vaccinated.

Show the vaccination card.

However, different rules if you go to a dark red or 'closed' province. Yala etc.

When you return, you will need to show two vaccinations and/or a negative Covid test result.

4 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I cannot speak for Phuket, but here on Samui we have been told that we can travel around Thailand after two weeks from being vaccinated.

Show the vaccination card.

However, different rules if you go to a dark red or 'closed' province. Yala etc.

When you return, you will need to show two vaccinations and/or a negative Covid test result.

In Phuket one (1) dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine if received at least 14 (some sources say 20) days before your re-entry into Phuket is sufficient.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skatewash said:

Did you get something like the first picture, or something like the second picture?

Redacted vaccination receipt.png

Redacted vaccination certificate.png

I've got the first piece of paper. So what I'm hearing is, give it two weeks and then I should be able to travel. Someone told me there is a piece of paper/certificate that you can get from certain hospitals that says you've been vaccinated, that works.  

Want to head to Koh Tao and Samui. The weather is better over there.  

So I got vaccinated yesterday, felt fine when I went to bed. Two hours later I woke up with the chills, low grade fever, bad headache and every joint on my body aching. I'm fine this morning. I guess it worked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pinot said:

I've got the first piece of paper. So what I'm hearing is, give it two weeks and then I should be able to travel. Someone told me there is a piece of paper/certificate that you can get from certain hospitals that says you've been vaccinated, that works.  

Want to head to Koh Tao and Samui. The weather is better over there.  

So I got vaccinated yesterday, felt fine when I went to bed. Two hours later I woke up with the chills, low grade fever, bad headache and every joint on my body aching. I'm fine this morning. I guess it worked. 

I was asking earlier if you knew what hospital your vaccination center was staffed by because it may be possible to go that hospital and get a Vaccination Certificate.  The advantage of the Vaccination Certificate obtained from the hospital is that it lists your full name and passport number, something that is usually missing from the vaccination receipt you get from your vaccination center (which is enough to get you your second jab).  In my case, Chalong Hospital staffed my vaccination center and I was able to go there the next day and receive the Vaccination Certificate (for 50 baht) that I attached earlier in this thread.  Anyone can also scan the QRC on that VC and see online that I have been jabbed with 1 dose of AZ on the date indicated.  If I were going to leave Phuket I would want to have the Vaccination Certificate rather than just the receipt and appointment card for the first dose.  Up to you, of course.  However, if you plan to head out with just your vaccination receipt I would suggest asking at the Tha Chatchai checkpoint on your way out of Phuket whether what you have will be sufficient to get you back into Phuket without needing a negative covid test result.

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

I was asking earlier if you knew what hospital your vaccination center was staffed by because it may be possible to go that hospital and get a Vaccination Certificate.  The advantage of the Vaccination Certificate obtained from the hospital is that it lists your full name and passport number, something that is usually missing from the vaccination receipt you get from your vaccination center (which is enough to get you your second jab).  In my case, Chalong Hospital staffed my vaccination center and I was able to go there the next day and receive the Vaccination Certificate (for 50 baht) that I attached earlier in this thread.  Anyone can also scan the QRC on that VC and see online that I have been jabbed with 1 dose of AZ on the date indicated.  If I were going to leave Phuket I would want to have the Vaccination Certificate rather than just the receipt and appointment card for the first dose.  Up to you, of course.  However, if you plan to head out with just your vaccination receipt I would suggest asking at the Tha Chatchai checkpoint on your way out of Phuket whether what you have will be sufficient to get you back into Phuket without needing a negative covid test result.

I'll be looking for a vaccination certificate over the next couple of weeks. I think Bangkok Hospital was handling the logistics at my vaccination point. 

They did also put a AZ1 sticker at the front of my passport.

6 minutes ago, Pinot said:

I'll be looking for a vaccination certificate over the next couple of weeks. I think Bangkok Hospital was handling the logistics at my vaccination point. 

They did also put a AZ1 sticker at the front of my passport.

Although I have not heard of anyone getting a Vaccination Certificate at Patong Hospital (might happen just haven't heard) my suggestion is to make a copy of the Vaccination Certificate I posted earlier from Chalong Hospital (although from Chalong Hospital it is supposed to be a Thai National Vaccine Certificate), take your vaccination receipt (thing you received after your jab with your next appointment date on it), and passport to the reception desk at Patong Hospital.  Ask if you can get a Vaccination Certificate there and show them what you're looking to get.  There might be a nominal fee for the certificate (was 50 baht at Chalong Hospital).  [I would not go to Chalong Hospital because I wouldn't be sure they would have access to your vaccination records if they were not the hospital that staffed your vaccination center.]

The sticker might be accepted to re-enter Phuket, but I wouldn't be very comfortable with that.  But that's just me, I'm not going anywhere. ????

Worst case, if they don't accept your proof of vaccination, you would need to get a rapid antigen covid test negative result from, say, Takuapa Hospital in Phang Nga (for 620 baht).  A bit inconvenient, better if you can avoid it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Just to OP... AZ won't protect you against anything for several weeks, and will only give you relative immunity to a few strains 4-8 weeks after your SECOND dose, some 2-3 months after the first one.

That was my understanding as well. That being said anyone know why they are letting in domestic tourists with just ONE AZ jab whereas other vaccines need two? It does tend to suggest ulterior motives (i.e. not enough vaccines and wait of 3 months for second jab = too long to wait for tourists and the company that has monopoly making this stuff)  unless there is some science behind it? 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone. I can't go anywhere for a couple of weeks. I can easily get to Chalong Hospital during that time and get a vaccination certificate. 

I think the rules will be in place or clearer anyway, by the middle of July. Thanks for all the input.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

You'll need a 3000b test to leave and to return...

Paperwork CoE

3000b test

14 day quarantine 

Enjoy your new freedom

The OP is discussing the requirements for leaving and entering Phuket domestically, not internationally.

18 minutes ago, connda said:

Mandatory PCR tests?  Some people are making literally billions of USD.  Testing testing testing.  Cha-Ching. I wonder if they can spin that off for seasonal flu and start testing $$$$ and throwing people into forced hospitalization even if you're not sick ฿฿฿฿฿ - forever.  Why not the common cold too?
Or we could just live with it like we have done since the dawn of mankind?  Nope.  This got turned into a serious wealth transfer.  New Normal means "never going back - ever."  The world's population have uniformly turned into mysophobic agoraphobes.   I never thought I'd be around to watch the world turn into - this madness.....

What are you on about? It's a clean test to enter Phuket or some kind of vaccination record. That's it. I'm glad they're doing it. 

38 minutes ago, Pinot said:

They check. My friend went to a public hospital and got the low price covid test for 600b. 

Kata...this is a moving target, as usual

Never really counted days when my wife came back after just 12 days. Just look certificate, not look ID, and wave on.  Astonishing but hey TiT. 

• Like 1

So much nonsense in this thread. I just drove back to Phuket from Ao Nang. At the checkpoint, all I was asked was to prove Phuket residence. I told them I received 1st vaccine on 25th, didn't even have to produce the document and they waved me through.

19 minutes ago, BMW Overlander said:

So much nonsense in this thread. I just drove back to Phuket from Ao Nang. At the checkpoint, all I was asked was to prove Phuket residence. I told them I received 1st vaccine on 25th, didn't even have to produce the document and they waved me through.

Not really sure how it's nonsense.  Anyone who has been in Thailand for more than half an hour has probably observed that enforcement is not always a strict as it could be.  Doesn't mean there aren't rules.  It may mean that they're weren't being enforced for you, that day, by that officer.  I guess it's one of those things that isn't a problem up until the moment it becomes a problem.

• Thanks 1