I just got an AZ1 vaccination, Can I leave Phuket and get back in without a 3000baht test result

Pinot

On 6/29/2021 at 8:18 PM, Pinot said:

I'm on top of the world. Just got the AZ1, baby! I will not die from Covid.

Of course you won't. Well unless (as a break-though case) you do. Congratulations!  Or not. ????
Re: getting back into Phuket?  You're asking a bunch of farangs to interpret the foibles of the Thai government.  Probably "yes",  but maybe "no."  TIT.

3 hours ago, BMW Overlander said:

So much nonsense in this thread. I just drove back to Phuket from Ao Nang. At the checkpoint, all I was asked was to prove Phuket residence. I told them I received 1st vaccine on 25th, didn't even have to produce the document and they waved me through.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officers-ordered-to-police-the-bridges-for-covid-travellers-80522.php

Can you drive back to Phuket again we need more data points. ????

On 6/30/2021 at 5:13 PM, WorriedNoodle said:

That was my understanding as well. That being said anyone know why they are letting in domestic tourists with just ONE AZ jab whereas other vaccines need two? It does tend to suggest ulterior motives (i.e. not enough vaccines and wait of 3 months for second jab = too long to wait for tourists and the company that has monopoly making this stuff)  unless there is some science behind it? 

The science is that in order for Phket to reach its sandbox vaccination target they've had to not only change the population numbers but let one AZ dose count as fully vaccinated.

And because this rule is in place they can't really turn away domestic tourists who fulfil the same criteria.

That's my theory, anyway!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, madmitch said:

The science is that in order for Phuket to reach its sandbox vaccination target they've had to not only change the population numbers but let one AZ dose count as fully vaccinated.

I thinking counting the one AZ jab as part of the 70% (but not as a person being fully vaccinated) together with 2 doses of Sinovac, was always part of the plan.   Quite some time back when that 70% vaccinated plan made, the dangers of the beta and delta variants were not readily known - back then people were staying one dose of AZ was very effective ( ... that viewpoint has now changed).

As for the shifting population numbers, I don't think anyone really knows the population of Phuket at present. There was a mass exodus of workers from the main tourist areas of Patong, Kata, Karon back last summer (2020) after the 1st big Phuket lockdown was lifted.     Does anyone really know how many people in Phuket (as opposed to how many registered ? )

My wife was saying to me today she read the % people vaccinated in Patong, calculated based on the number of people formerly registered/once believed in Patong (where the numbers in Patong from year 2019 estimates) is very low ... less than 30%  ... however given how very few people are in Patong, its very difficult to produce a good estimate. Its quite possible the % vaccinated (of those actually in Patong at present) is MUCH higher and closer to the 70% (or maybe higher or maybe much lower). 

Simply put - no one knows.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 2

On 7/1/2021 at 2:18 PM, crazykopite said:

One dose of any vaccine does not protect you even two doses is no 100% guarantee and that’s the big problem a lot of Thais including ministers think that 1 Jab and your okay there in for a very big shock the 80+%that Phuket’s governor is claiming is incorrect because it stated the majority had only had the initial vaccine I think the Kingdom is in for a huge shock and it’s all down to stupidity of those in charge  

I've been reading some solid evidence that one shot of the AZ may be all you need.

Nothing protects you fully from getting Covid but 100% do not die from Covid after inoculation from all these vaccines. You can also spread it after inoculation. 

The Phuket Sandbox experiment is dangerous and will kill people for no reason. This letting in of foreigners should have been delayed till at least October and probably the first of the year. 

On 6/29/2021 at 9:46 AM, tomazbodner said:

Just to OP... AZ won't protect you against anything for several weeks, and will only give you relative immunity to a few strains 4-8 weeks after your SECOND dose, some 2-3 months after the first one. And as you'd like to go further South - beware as there's a Beta variant cluster in many places, and for these even fully vaccinated, your vaccine is useless both against infection as well as against moderate and severe symptoms.

Buzzkill...

On 7/1/2021 at 8:35 PM, madmitch said:

The science is that in order for Phket to reach its sandbox vaccination target they've had to not only change the population numbers but let one AZ dose count as fully vaccinated.

And because this rule is in place they can't really turn away domestic tourists who fulfil the same criteria.

That's my theory, anyway!

As the graphic indicates while AstraZeneca one (1) jab is enough to enter Phuket domestically, it is NOT enough to enter Phuket internationally, in which case two (2) jabs are required. The Sandbox rules (which once again ONLY apply to international arrivals) required a full-course of vaccination according to the manufacturer's guidelines.  For J&J that's one jab, for all other vaccines that's two of the same.

The rules for domestic and international arrivals are not the same, despite many people's misunderstanding.  

209474907_10159150130647978_8835754827321714419_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, impulse said:

Buzzkill...

The information on effectiveness against the Delta variety seems to be vary. In a statement from AZ, they're saying highly effective. Nothing is perfect and it's probably the best choice right now available in LOS. 

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-effective-against-delta-indian-variant.html

I've also read that a second shot of AZ might not even be necessary. This is from the above statement:

"The analysis included 14,019 cases of the Delta variant – 122 of whom were hospitalised – between 12 April and 4 June, looking at emergency hospital admissions in England." 

Apparently no one has died after receiving an AZ vaccination.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to contribute to a discussion of efficacy of any of these vaccines. I'm looking forward to traveling in Samui and KP later this month. The TG has had two shots of the Sinovac.

• Like 1