Ed Visa finishing mid August - any advice how to stay longer in Thailand?

I assume you are on extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon attending a school since you non-ed visa probably expired long ago.

You cannot apply for any visa now without leaving the country.

You may be able to apply for another extension of stay of some kind. Perhaps you could go to a higher level of study and apply for another extension based upon that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you are on extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon attending a school since you non-ed visa probably expired long ago.

You cannot apply for any visa now without leaving the country.

You may be able to apply for another extension of stay of some kind. Perhaps you could go to a higher level of study and apply for another extension based upon that.

thank you. I'm right now on Ed Visa and before I had a single entry Tourist Visa which expired last year, I extended it once or twice in the immigration and after I applied for ED visa for studying English and it will expire mid august next month. So as you say some extension might be possible without leaving the country? I hear many people get Covid extensions for 60 days. I will also inquire regarding the higher level of study option.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, webber4 said:

thank you. I'm right now on Ed Visa and before I had a single entry Tourist Visa which expired last year, I extended it once or twice in the immigration and after I applied for ED visa for studying English and it will expire mid august next month.

Are you still on the 90 day permit to stay you got from the non-ed visa you were issued? Or have you extended the 90 day permit to stay based upon studying English at immigration.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you still on the 90 day permit to stay you got from the non-ed visa you were issued? Or have you extended the 90 day permit to stay based upon studying English at immigration.

I am not sure, How do I check that? I could go to the school and ask them.

4 minutes ago, webber4 said:

I am not sure, How do I check that? I could go to the school and ask them.

If you had extended the 90 days you would have a extension stamp in your passport.

Check with your school about applying for a extension.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

If you had extended the 90 days you would have a extension stamp in your passport.

Check with your school about applying for a extension.

okay, thank you, I will check with the school and if needed also go to get an advise from a Lawyer.

In the same boat, wondering what options are out there.  I got an ED visa last year as well, in phuket (entered on Tourist visa , then covid "asylum ").  There is no extension stamp I can see, just a big NON IMMIGRANT stamp, category "ED", signed and dated, and 90day checkin stamps. My most recent and final stamp is for about 95 days, taking me to the 1year anniversary. An IO at immigration recently said no way to extend "leave country". Pretty sure it was same guy who told me that last year and yet I'm still here! 

8 hours ago, RoyLee said:

In the same boat, wondering what options are out there.  I got an ED visa last year as well, in phuket (entered on Tourist visa , then covid "asylum ").  There is no extension stamp I can see, just a big NON IMMIGRANT stamp, category "ED", signed and dated, and 90day checkin stamps. My most recent and final stamp is for about 95 days, taking me to the 1year anniversary. An IO at immigration recently said no way to extend "leave country". Pretty sure it was same guy who told me that last year and yet I'm still here! 

90-day address reporting does not add stamps to your passport. You get a separate paper slip for them. I suspect what you are calling "90-day checkin stamps" are the 90-day extensions of your permission to stay. Have you been paying 1,900 baht each time you go in for your "checkin"? If you post a scan, we can confirm this. The only other reasonable explanation is if you were given a one-year permission to stay directly.

You could now probably get a 60-day Covid extension, but Immigration might be reluctant to provide one in your situation. I think you may now need to resort to the use of agents. For study at informal schools, there is a 12 month limit before you must leave. A good agent can probably arrange a "volunteer extension" for a price. Another dubious option could be a medical extension.

• Like 1

Yes, they are permission to stay with date 90 days out, except for the final 95-odd days. I pay 5000baht each time, seems to be the going rate here. Since I was already rejected I'm doubtful of the 60day extension but wouldn't hurt to try again closer to the end. Ok will check out agents, likely in bkk or pattaya.

advice from reputable language school is that ed visa / extention is strictly limited to total original “window” of 365 days ( works out at 90 day visa + 3x 90 day extentions = 360 days actually)  by related Ed Ministry Visa Letter and cannot therefore be further extended. check with sponsoring school though.......

ed visa/ extns. stamp scope / limits are written clearly in plain english.....read them all in sequence !

no need for any agents re. ed visas/ ext... they cannot help you.. must be language school....good one. 

ed visa / extns are 365 days total only... thats your lot.... finito......

as to having now to leave thailand for all new visas..... if true then indefinite covid extn.......